Best Professional Association membership status
Thread poster: Andrew Mac

Andrew Mac  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:14
French to English
+ ...
Apr 30, 2012

Hi All,

In order to be better established as a freelance translator, I was wondering if anyone had any advice in regards to what is the most highly regarded translation association membership status?

For example, within the UK (where I am based) there is the Qualified ITI status membership or with proz for example there is "Certified" status.

Is it a case of the more the better or would anyone advise of a particular membership status having more benefit than others in regards to growing your client base?

Thanks,

Andy

Direct link Reply with quote

Chris Hughes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
Romanian to English
+ ...
The Chartered Institute of Linguists May 1, 2012

Hi Andy,

Although it's not solely a translation association, I've always found that membership of the Chartered Institute of Linguists in the UK is highly respected by agencies, government clients and other direct clients alike. What's more, you can also choose to be listed on the Institute's 'Find-a-Linguist' database, which has certainly given me access to a large number of new clients.

I've had a quick look at your profile, and I'd say that you'd meet the membership criteria if you were to apply. It's quite a long application form (!), but it's well worth it in the end.

I hope that's of use, and all the best to you in your future freelancing career!

Chris.

Decipherit  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Second that May 1, 2012

Chris Hughes wrote:

Hi Andy,

Although it's not solely a translation association, I've always found that membership of the Chartered Institute of Linguists in the UK is highly respected by agencies, government clients and other direct clients alike. What's more, you can also choose to be listed on the Institute's 'Find-a-Linguist' database, which has certainly given me access to a large number of new clients.

I've had a quick look at your profile, and I'd say that you'd meet the membership criteria if you were to apply. It's quite a long application form (!), but it's well worth it in the end.

I hope that's of use, and all the best to you in your future freelancing career!

Chris.

I agree, although I didn't suggest it because I thought you had to have the Dip. Trans. to become a Member (?). I could very well be wrong though or the rules may have changed since I joined. I've sometimes found that agencies are happy to by-pass 'translation tests' and such like if they know that you're a CIOL Member.

Andrew Mac  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 1, 2012

Hi Chris and Lisa,

That is excellent advice thank you very much for your suggestions here.

I will certainly look into this.

On a side note there Lisa you mentioned the Dip. Trans., as I already have an MA with honours in translation do you think that a Dip. Trans. would add extra benefit to my qualifications?

Thanks again,

Andy

Decipherit  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
See link May 1, 2012

Andrew Mac wrote:

Hi Chris and Lisa,

That is excellent advice thank you very much for your suggestions here.

I will certainly look into this.

On a side note there Lisa you mentioned the Dip. Trans., as I already have an MA with honours in translation do you think that a Dip. Trans. would add extra benefit to my qualifications?

Thanks again,

Andy

Hi Andy,
Their conditions for membership are lengthy and complicated but it certainly looks as if your MA would also qualify. See the attached link: http://www.iol.org.uk/membership/nav.asp?r=XJEMQGXQAA&3pid=ELEYKEK8
I'm hoping that someone will come along and advise you on the benefits of ITI membership. From memory, their entry level criteria used to be lower (10+ years ago), which is why I originally opted for CIOL but this may have changed. You may find that they offer more direct benefits for translators. Old habits die hard, I've always been with the CIOL and saw no reason to change. With a lot of CPD you could also work towards the ultimate goal of becoming a Chartered Linguist, which is quite a grand title

[Edited at 2012-05-01 07:54 GMT]

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:14
German to English
+ ...
May not matter May 1, 2012

I am in the United States and started out with an MA in Translation from Monterey. No one ever made an issue of the fact that I am just an associate member of the ATA; the MA seemed more important.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best Professional Association membership status

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search