ATA CE credit question; how to earn points, how to find out about approved events in general
Thread poster: Esther Pugh
Esther Pugh
Esther Pugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:14
Member (2014)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 10, 2019

Hi all,

I have a question for ATA certified members, or anybody who is familiar with ATA's CE policy.

I am aware that there are online courses, classes, webinars, seminars, etc. available here on proz that award a certain amount of CE points, however, most of them are worth one or two points at the most. Are there any classes or events available that award more?

The ATA website itself lists options on how to earn CE credits, but these guidelines are not ve
... See more
Hi all,

I have a question for ATA certified members, or anybody who is familiar with ATA's CE policy.

I am aware that there are online courses, classes, webinars, seminars, etc. available here on proz that award a certain amount of CE points, however, most of them are worth one or two points at the most. Are there any classes or events available that award more?

The ATA website itself lists options on how to earn CE credits, but these guidelines are not very specific IMO. E.g. they state that you could volunteer and/or teach a class somewhere, but do not give any information on any specifics (such as, how many classes should you teach for how many hours, and how many credits will be awarded if you do, etc.).

I have also randomly come across webinars held by Wordfast and other CAT tool suppliers that may or may not be approved by the ATA for points (some are, some don't seem to be ... ???), and it doesn't seem easy to figure out the amount of points anywhere.

Can somebody tell me how to approach this? Is there a summary available somewhere that focuses on that topic? Or do you e-mail the person in charge at the ATA every single time in order to find out whether or not a specific seminar that interests you is approved for credits, and if so, for how many?

I am a little bit lost here. I don't want my cert to expire, obviously, but I am also wondering how to approach this. How is everybody else handling this?

Thanks all for your input!

[Edited at 2019-04-10 14:35 GMT]
Collapse

Kristina Cosumano (X)
Kristina Cosumano (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:14
German to English
Conferences Apr 10, 2019

Attending a translation conference can get you 10 points. The ATA annual conference is expensive, but there may be smaller ones near you. In my case, I went to the BP18 Translators Conference in Vienna last year, and a workshop held by the ATA German Language Division Members in Europe this year in Tübingen. Check with your local translation association.

Maria da Glória Teixeira

Esther Pugh
United States
Member (2014)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 10, 2019

Kristina Cosumano wrote:

Attending a translation conference can get you 10 points. The ATA annual conference is expensive, but there may be smaller ones near you. In my case, I went to the BP18 Translators Conference in Vienna last year, and a workshop held by the ATA German Language Division Members in Europe this year in Tübingen. Check with your local translation association.

Thank you very much, Kristina! I really appreciate your reply.

So these conferences do not have to be ATA events, as long they're T&I related? How did you find out that they are eligible for "points", though? Are they all automatically eligible, because of their nature? Or did you contact the ATA beforehand? It's just a little confusing to me.

I am planning on attending the ATA conference in CA this year, but would still like to add some credits between now and Oct/Nov.

[Edited at 2019-04-10 15:52 GMT]

Kristina Cosumano (X)
Kristina Cosumano (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:14
German to English
Lots of different ways Apr 11, 2019

So these conferences do not have to be ATA events, as long they're T&I related? How did you find out that they are eligible for "points", though? Are they all automatically eligible, because of their nature? Or did you contact the ATA beforehand? It's just a little confusing to me.

The BP18 conference announced that attendees could get CE points for ATA before the event.

I suggest you download the CE documents from the ATA website and look through them. For example, in the "independent study" section ATA will allow you 1 point -per hour- of activity.

Esther Pugh
United States
Member (2014)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More info? Apr 11, 2019

This is all I found, which is not very specific:

https://www.atanet.org/certification/aboutcont_record_requirments.php

I am wondering if there's more info out there somewhere...

Maria da Glória Teixeira
Maria da Glória Teixeira  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:14
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
ATA Apr 11, 2019

I also heard that being a volunteer earned points, but where, where, what place? Nobody explains that. There are many ways to earn score for the ATA. Thank you for more information

Marissa Aguayo Gavilano
Marissa Aguayo Gavilano  Identity Verified
Peru
English to Spanish
+ ...
Check the PDF Apr 11, 2019

I think the actual document that we need to complete and send gives enough information about what they will accept and how many points each activity is worth.

https://www.atanet.org/certification/aboutcont_record.pdf

I know some courses advertise themselves as being worth ATA CE points, but it's not mandatory that you take only such courses to get the po
... See more
I think the actual document that we need to complete and send gives enough information about what they will accept and how many points each activity is worth.

https://www.atanet.org/certification/aboutcont_record.pdf

I know some courses advertise themselves as being worth ATA CE points, but it's not mandatory that you take only such courses to get the points.
Collapse

Kristina Cosumano (X)

Esther Pugh
United States
Member (2014)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
helpful link Apr 11, 2019

Upon my request, I just got this from a very helpful person at the ATA headquarters, in case anybody's interested:

https://www.atanet.org/calendar/index.php

Kristina Cosumano (X)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ATA CE credit question; how to earn points, how to find out about approved events in general

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »