ATA - do you find an increase in business by being a member?
Thread poster: xxxkarenee
xxxkarenee
Local time: 17:33
French to English
+ ...
Nov 1, 2007

Hi All,

I am not a member of the ATA, but am thinking of joining. I was wondering- do you find an increase in business by being a member?

Thanks,

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-11-01 13:42]

Direct link Reply with quote

Quattro
United States
Local time: 14:33
Absolutely Nov 1, 2007

I was not sure whether joining the ATA would help my business or not. At the time, I felt it was a lot of money, but I am so glad I made that investment. So many clients tell me that they found my information in the ATA directory. It was one of the major things that got my business going. In my own personal experience it's a great way to make yourself visible to translation companies.

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Benefits of membership? Nov 1, 2007

I joined so I could take their certification exams and the main reason I remain a member is to keep my certifications.

A few (very few) clients have found me through their directory.

xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 16:33
English to Russian
+ ...
Language pairs Nov 2, 2007

What I've learned so far between several threads on the ATA subject is that the rarest pairs (relative to the location) may be the ones benefiting from it the most. Going after my pair to ATA without any backup to support the choice is a no-no. It may not be fair to all ATA members but ths is the way it goes. Honestly, for those who are worth something this is not a problem in itself, they are very busy without it. Again, I can speak for my pair only.

Helen Li  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 05:33
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
it depends on whether you would like to get ATA certified Feb 13, 2008

I am also thinking joining ATA, but the purpose is to be able to take the tests and get certified by ATA. I think in the long term it will help to increase the business. There may not be many people who will find you from the ATA directory, but the status of "ATA-certified translator" in your CV or profile should be able to help in a way or another.

Juan Chen  Identity Verified
China
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
If ATA membership really helps a lot, Apr 6, 2008

why not make a small investment for more opportunities? I plan to file an application this week.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ATA - do you find an increase in business by being a member?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search