Thread poster: Vadim Khazin
Vadim Khazin
Vadim Khazin  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:56
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Jan 18, 2004

Dear Colleagues:

This is another attempt to organize the Program of ATA Certification for English-Ukrainian and Ukrainian-English translators. Since we need at least 50 people to start the process, please take a minute to respond to me [[email protected]], indicating the direction(s) you'd like to pursue (E-U, U-E, or both). You do not have to be ATA member to participate. In your reponse please indicate your full name and e-mail address.

Thank you,
Vadim Khazin

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 03:56
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
What is the point of doing it, if... Jan 18, 2004

I strongly doubt the need for such a move especially if a translator does not live in the States.
Too costly for 'aliens' without any virtual gain.

Vadim Khazin wrote:

Dear Colleagues:

This is another attempt to organize the Program of ATA Certification for English-Ukrainian and Ukrainian-English translators. Since we need at least 50 people to start the process, please take a minute to respond to me [[email protected]], indicating the direction(s) you'd like to pursue (E-U, U-E, or both). You do not have to be ATA member to participate. In your reponse please indicate your full name and e-mail address.

Thank you,
Vadim Khazin

Vadim Khazin
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Aliens welcome Jan 18, 2004

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:

I strongly doubt the need for such a move especially if a translator does not live in the States.
Too costly for 'aliens' without any virtual gain.

Please consider the following:
1. Canada is not really abroad; even flights between the U.S. and Canada are considered "domestic", not international.
2. There are many Canadians (150-200) in the ATA.
3. This year the ATA annual Conference will be held in Canada (Toronto).
4. ATA certification tests are being held not only in the U.S., but also in other countries of Europe and America, Canada included.
5. As for the gain, of course there is no guarantee. But, judging by myself, I got quite a number of jobs due to my ATA membership and accreditation (now called "certification").

Vadim Khazin wrote:

Dear Colleagues:

Thank you,
Vadim Khazin

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
ProZ Platinum is far better Jan 19, 2004

I have used the word "aliens", because that's the name for all non-US-citizens and non-US-residents used in many US formal papers / documents.
And, after more attentive browsing through ATA site I have understood that for me? for instance, as for an alien, there is no way to become an Active ATA member. Only "corresponding", but for the same, $120 USD annual price.
Then I put my brief (sorry) answers to Vadim's "points to consider":

Vadim Khazin wrote:

[Plea
... See more
I have used the word "aliens", because that's the name for all non-US-citizens and non-US-residents used in many US formal papers / documents.
And, after more attentive browsing through ATA site I have understood that for me? for instance, as for an alien, there is no way to become an Active ATA member. Only "corresponding", but for the same, $120 USD annual price.
Then I put my brief (sorry) answers to Vadim's "points to consider":

Vadim Khazin wrote:

[Please consider the following:
1. Canada is not really abroad; even flights between the U.S. and Canada are considered "domestic", not international.

ME: This is not true, actually. And to work in the States, myself, being a Canadian, must have a work visa (neither ATA certification nor membership can hardly help with it).

2. There are many Canadians (150-200) in the ATA.

Well, these are Canadians who, probably, live in the States. Or, they may live in Canada but work in the States... Otherwise, I, personally, do not see any sound point in paying $120 US membership fee, (not considering $160 certification fee), plus, expenses to take an exam (I mean transportation, accomodations, etc.).
But what about Ukrainian translators who live in Ukraine (Russia, Belarus, Moldova)? Their "best bet", as of 'aliens'(including Canadians and, thus, myself) - to become a Corresponding Member ($120 a year fee, plus related expenses, I mean $35 USD postal charges ($15 for those who live in Canada and Mexico), as mentioned on ATA site... And (as clearly stated there) - being a Corresponding ATA Member does not mean being a Certified ATA member.

4. ATA certification tests are being held not only in the U.S., but also in other countries of Europe and America, Canada included.

- So what? I have read those rules of handling exams and reviews... If you do not agree with the test results, you must sign an agreement and pay another $100 USD to have your exam results reviewed (within a year term)... Extremely self-protected policy, everything done 'in-house', confidentially, by incognito graders (you can hardly know what is the level of experience / background of your grader... You may only know that they are ATA members "in good standing".

And, finally, a person is considered "a certified translator" after buying for $160 a right to render into another language some three 250-word abstracts..
To be better prepared, you may get a Practice Test, well, actually, you have to buy it, but for only $40 USD a piece.

However, if I'd have some extra money I'd probably join ATA )Well it's much better than its local Canadian version. The States are much bigger than Canada (in terms of potential clients), and being a member of American association may ring a 'louder' and more 'positive' bell for some American client))
However there are other, less expensive ways.

Sorry, I have to dash now.

Please, excuse me my longish feedback.

[Edited at 2004-01-19 06:45]
Collapse

Vadim Khazin
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Finally it is official Apr 29, 2006

Хочу повідомити всіх зацікавлених, що АТА нарешті, після тривалої підготовчої роботи та бюрократичних перепон, ухвалила англо-українську сертифікацію. Отже, вперед і з піснею! Хто там найсміліший?
Подробиці про сертифікацію в АТА див. на її сайті www.atanet.org

Бажаю успіху як колега і так званий English-Ukrainian Language Chair.

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
Congratulations, Vadim May 24, 2006

I guess you have contrbuted a lot to make it happen.

Please tell me - very briefly, - yes or no will be fine -

i I am Canadian, the below benefits will be still opened for me with Ukrainian ATA membership (I copied from ATA homepage):

- discounted professional liability insurance customized for the translation and interpreting professions;

- discounted disability and life insurance policies;

- discounted overnight lette
... See more

i I am Canadian, the below benefits will be still opened for me with Ukrainian ATA membership (I copied from ATA homepage):

- discounted professional liability insurance customized for the translation and interpreting professions;

- discounted overnight letter and express delivery services through UPS;

- discounted Dun & Bradstreet collections and receivables management services;

- a no-fee ATA MasterCard with the ATA logo, pending approval of credit;

- discounted credit card acceptance services.

Thank you,
V.

Vadim Khazin wrote:

Хочу повідомити всіх зацікавлених, що АТА нарешті, після тривалої підготовчої роботи та бюрократичних перепон, ухвалила англо-українську сертифікацію. Отже, вперед і з піснею! Хто там найсміліший?

Collapse

Vadim Khazin
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reply May 24, 2006

Vladimir,

I assume that everything stated on the ATA homepage is true (otherwise there would have been a big scandal, and I would have known about this). My personal experience includes using only one of these benefits - a credit card. But what do you mean by "Ukrainian ATA membership"? There is no such thing. You can be an ATA member and then become certified in the English-Ukrainian direction; probably this is what you meant. And from the point of view of benefits you would enjoy
... See more
Vladimir,

I assume that everything stated on the ATA homepage is true (otherwise there would have been a big scandal, and I would have known about this). My personal experience includes using only one of these benefits - a credit card. But what do you mean by "Ukrainian ATA membership"? There is no such thing. You can be an ATA member and then become certified in the English-Ukrainian direction; probably this is what you meant. And from the point of view of benefits you would enjoy (the most important of which as I see it is professional recognition of your credentials), it does not matter whether you are American, Canadian or, say, Zimbabwean.

I wish you and everybody success in this endeavor.

Vadim

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:

- discounted overnight letter and express delivery services through UPS;

- discounted Dun & Bradstreet collections and receivables management services;

- a no-fee ATA MasterCard with the ATA logo, pending approval of credit;

- discounted credit card acceptance services.

Thank you,
V.

Vadim Khazin wrote:

Collapse

mk_lab
mk_lab  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 10:56
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Сертифiкацiйнi iспити May 26, 2006

Пане Вадиме,

А де мають складатися сертифiкацiйнi iспити? Чи можна задля цього не їхати дуже далеко, або треба пакувати валiзи до Чехiї, як ви розповiдали на нашiй зустрiчi у Києвi?

Vadim Khazin
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Чехія – ні, Італія – так! May 26, 2006

Шановний Михайле!

Іспити приймають регулярно і в різних країнах. Наприклад, останнє повідомлення, яке я бачив, передбачало найближчі до вас іспити в Італії. Згодьтеся, що це краще за Чехію-:). Але спершу треба вступити до АТА і, якщо забажаєте, взяти спочатку так званий
... See more
Шановний Михайле!

Іспити приймають регулярно і в різних країнах. Наприклад, останнє повідомлення, яке я бачив, передбачало найближчі до вас іспити в Італії. Згодьтеся, що це краще за Чехію-:). Але спершу треба вступити до АТА і, якщо забажаєте, взяти спочатку так званий practice test, тобто таку собі пробу сил, на яку отримаєте рецензію з відміченими й оціненими помилками (if any). Звичайно, practice test і справжній іспит, хоч адекватні за складністю, не адекватні за умовами проведення: на справжньому ви матимете обмежений час, не зможете користуватись Інтернетом і муситимете писати, а не друкувати переклад. Останнє, щоправда, обіцяють скоро змінити – дозволити комп'ютер.

Отже, бажаю успіху всім!

mk_lab wrote:

Пане Вадиме,

А де мають складатися сертифiкацiйнi iспити? Чи можна задля цього не їхати дуже далеко, або треба пакувати валiзи до Чехiї, як ви розповiдали на нашiй зустрiчi у Києвi?
Collapse

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
ATA Ukrainian Certification (я мав це на увазі ) Jul 1, 2006

I mean the following:

1/ i doubt that the non-US resident can have a mentioned credit card and use its benefits from that.
and

I doubt that the insurance and all other perks would work in any other country than the US.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

2/ professional recognition of the professional credentials can be done through the number of relevant agencies (in the US and in other countries). I mean if someone has a degree in transla
... See more
I mean the following:

1/ i doubt that the non-US resident can have a mentioned credit card and use its benefits from that.
and

I doubt that the insurance and all other perks would work in any other country than the US.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

2/ professional recognition of the professional credentials can be done through the number of relevant agencies (in the US and in other countries). I mean if someone has a degree in translation / linguistics there is no need to get ATA membership / certification.

ATA (like similar bodies in Canada and other countries) exist to provide recognition for those who DO NOT have professional credentials (in translation/kingustics). Say, a doctor who wants (and is doing it) to be a translator.

If one graduated from a recognized educational institution with a degree in lingustics or translation - these credentials (meaning 5 years full time studies of languages and translation practices and theory) do not need any further recognition of any organizations.

Can prove it by my personal experience:
My translations of personal documents backed by my certification letter have een recognized by the US bodies, including INS, despite the fact that I do not have ATA certification/membership; am Canadian citizen and hold my degree from the Ukrainian university (but this is a professional degree in translation).

Vadim Khazin wrote:

Vladimir,

I assume that everything stated on the ATA homepage is true (otherwise there would have been a big scandal, and I would have known about this). My personal experience includes using only one of these benefits - a credit card.

[Edited at 2006-07-01 03:12]
Collapse

Vadim Khazin
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ATA benefits Aug 14, 2006

Sorry, Vladimir, I missed your last message and am replying only now.

As for the credit card I mentioned, it has the ATA logo on it but is probably not better or worse than other such cards, and of course it is available to Canadians and others.

Concerning the issue of ATA certification vs. linguistis education and experience, I believe both are good. However, I know quite a number of distinguished linguists and experienced translators who still try to obtain the ATA ce
... See more

As for the credit card I mentioned, it has the ATA logo on it but is probably not better or worse than other such cards, and of course it is available to Canadians and others.

Concerning the issue of ATA certification vs. linguistis education and experience, I believe both are good. However, I know quite a number of distinguished linguists and experienced translators who still try to obtain the ATA certification. The reason, I assume, is that most clients may have no idea about "recognized educational institutions" but are aware of the ATA and often include the question about the ATA certification in their questionnaires for translators.
Collapse

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
which card is that Aug 15, 2006

Dear Vadim,
Can you please tell me which card is that?
I mean Visa / MasterCard or else?

You may know that even Visa cards from Europe do not always work in North America. I strongly doubt that any of our collegues in Ukraine will be able to have it \ use it.

And, you may know, that even living across the border (in Canada) we are not able to have some US-issued credit cards.

Same - very problematic - is any kind of insurance \ coverage.
<
... See more
Dear Vadim,
Can you please tell me which card is that?
I mean Visa / MasterCard or else?

You may know that even Visa cards from Europe do not always work in North America. I strongly doubt that any of our collegues in Ukraine will be able to have it \ use it.

And, you may know, that even living across the border (in Canada) we are not able to have some US-issued credit cards.

Same - very problematic - is any kind of insurance \ coverage.

Otherwise, I do not want to discourage anybody to join ATA - it is personal choice and has to be respected as such.

Vadim Khazin wrote:

Concerning the issue of ATA certification vs. linguistis education and experience, I believe both are good. However, I know quite a number of distinguished linguists and experienced translators who still try to obtain the ATA certification. The reason, I assume, is that most clients may have no idea about "recognized educational institutions" but are aware of the ATA and often include the question about the ATA certification in their questionnaires for translators.
Collapse

Vadim Khazin
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ATA cards Aug 15, 2006

The card I have through the ATA is MasterCard, and I have used it with no problem (as well as Visa) in Canada, Ukraine and elsewhere.

As for the insurance, ATA promotes, I believe, OMAHA one. I don't have it, but on the ATA web site one may find this and other information.

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
that's what i am saying Aug 16, 2006

You might be able to use it as you're the US resident and you have a US-based bank account. ATA is also a US-based org. Those who do not have US-based bank account are very unlikely to be able to get this Mastercard.

Same with the insurance.

Vadim Khazin wrote:

The card I have through the ATA is MasterCard, and I have used it with no problem (as well as Visa) in Canada, Ukraine and elsewhere.

As for the insurance, ATA promotes, I believe, OMAHA one. I don't have it, but on the ATA web site one may find this and other information.

Vadim Khazin
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
credit card etc. Aug 16, 2006

[quote]Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:

Those who do not have US-based bank account are very unlikely to be able to get this Mastercard.
Same with the insurance.

I am not sure about this. However, these issues (credit card, insurance etc.) are of little importance when considering ATA membership.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ATA Ukrainian Certification

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »