Thread poster: Piyush Ojha
Piyush Ojha
Piyush Ojha  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:15
English to Hindi
+ ...
Oct 3, 2012

I am looking for a good Urdu-English dictionary and would like some recommendations.

My interest is in Urdu poetry and literary prose and very often I am defeated by Farsi words (or words of Farsi origin). I have a copy of the Concise 20th Century Dictionary (Urdu into English), compiled by Makhdoom Sabri and published by Educational Publishing House, Delhi. It has 700 pages and about 12000 words and has served me very well but it does not always have the words I need to look up.<
... See more
I am looking for a good Urdu-English dictionary and would like some recommendations.

My interest is in Urdu poetry and literary prose and very often I am defeated by Farsi words (or words of Farsi origin). I have a copy of the Concise 20th Century Dictionary (Urdu into English), compiled by Makhdoom Sabri and published by Educational Publishing House, Delhi. It has 700 pages and about 12000 words and has served me very well but it does not always have the words I need to look up.

Any suggestions?
Collapse

obaidswati
obaidswati
Local time: 11:15
Arabic to Urdu
+ ...
best one you are looking for Nov 12, 2012

if you are looking for an online urdu-english OR english-Urdu dictionary, You should try :

www.englishurdudictionary.org

I think , It will be the best one you are looking for

Piyush Ojha
Piyush Ojha  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:15
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the suggestions but ... Nov 14, 2012

Thanks for your suggestion. However this does not seem to be an online dictionary but a meta-search engine, i.e. it seems to use other well-known search engines to return results for the query term. Anyway, my experience of online dictionaries is that their coverage is usually limited to relatively simple words. Of course, there may be exceptions.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Urdu-English Dictionary needed

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »