HELP - Keyboard Language Problem and others...
Thread poster: Eleni Makantani

Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 05:20
English to Greek
+ ...
Apr 20, 2008

Dear colleagues,

I use English and Greek languages on my keyboard (Windows XP). Since yesterday, I have noticed that my computer has a strange behavior:

1) Even though I have installed both English (US) and Greek languages on the computer (and I can see they are installed through the language toolbar), I can only write in the default language and I can't change the language using Alt+Shift/ Language toolbar no matter what... I tried to unistall/ reinstall the languages, but the problem wasn't solved.

2) After each restart, my computer doesn't seem to remember things, for instance I have to define each time that I want language toolbar and quick start toolbar at the bottom desktop toolbar. This didn't happen until I last shut down yesterday.

3) All desktop icons aren't transparent, as they used to be until yesterday, but they are blue.

The one thing I did yesterday, which I hadn't done in the past, was to try to transfer images (copy/ paste) from a Word file to my desktop. I was asked if I wanted to have the image copied to some temporary file, I answered yes, and then all my desktop icons turned blue. Afterwards, I shut down the computer and when I restarted it today, I noticed all the problems above.

Do you have any idea as to what might be wrong and what I might need to do to come over all these? I am particularly concerned about the language shift problem, as Greek alphabet is totally different that Latin and each time I need to shift language I have to change the default language, close and reopen the file on which I want to work...

Thank you!
E.

Direct link Reply with quote

Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Beyond any understanding... Apr 20, 2008

I tried a bit with several functions regarding desktop arrangement and system settings in the Control Panel, and the problems were resolved. All that is left now is the blue icons. I have no idea what I did that fixed the problem. I am really happy about it, however any explanation would be welcome...

Sometimes all this computer stuff makes me feel so helpless...

AniseK  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 11:20
Japanese to English
+ ...
It happened to me too... Apr 21, 2008

Hi,

Your problems sound so familiar, and the best part, I am still clueless as to what is happening with my computer. Have you checked your virtual memory? That is my main problem, once the virtual memory - don't ask me what it does - hit a certain level, some of the computer functions goes down.

Hope to hear from others too. Especially on the language tool bar, because I have to reset the default settings everytime I need to switch languages. I mean, if it is a default setting, then we don't have to reset it everytime we need it, right?

Regards,
Anisah

Inès Dopagne
France
Local time: 04:20
Member (2006)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Keyboard Problem Apr 21, 2008

Hi Elena
Why did you not try to recover your system in a state before this problem occurs.
Press F8 When you boot your PC
Choose start Windows with the best configuration
Hope that can resolve your problem
Inès Dopagne
Arabic-French-English translator

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Blue Icons background Apr 22, 2008

Hi,

I assume that the text of the icons have a blue background.
To solve this:
1) Right click on My Computer - Properties- advanced tab.
2) Under Performance, click Settings.
3) Check the box for "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" in the list.
4) Apply and exit.

I hope that this is what you referred to.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HELP - Keyboard Language Problem and others...

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search