Icon entitled "~" keeps appearing on my desktop
Thread poster: Susana Galilea

Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 5, 2003

Hello all,

I am getting acquainted with a lovely new computer, and for the past couple of weeks have seen an icon entitled "~" appear on my desktop. I have no clue what it could be, or whether it is in some way related to downloads. I keep sending it to the recycle bin, but it will reappear a few days later.

Is this a bug of some sort? I suppose the answer is in the manual, but who has the timeicon_biggrin.gif

Any enlightening replies will be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Susana


 

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:15
German to English
Check "Properties" Jun 5, 2003

Right click on the icon and then look under "Properties" This should give you some indication of what the icon may be related to. I'm afraid I cannot comment on the cause of spurious icons.
Kevin


 

Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:15
English to Polish
+ ...
I hope not... Jun 5, 2003

I am afraid if it is, what I think it is, clicking on it will take you to some porn site.

To remove it, you need someone well versed. The hint is: it is in the AutoRun key of the registry and I have seen one in two differently named copies monitoring each other. If you did not remove both, the one left reinstalled the removed one.

Robert


 

Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
just my luck... Jun 5, 2003

rzawadzk wrote:

I am afraid if it is, what I think it is, clicking on it will take you to some porn site.

Robert


Arrrrgh...must be the research I did when I answered that "whoremonger" Eng>Spa queryicon_wink.gif

Seriously now, the icon has been popping up from the first few days of using the computer. I did look under Properties and tried clicking on it, but I forget what the message was (basically, that it could not be opened without going online to identify the program...just a ruse to lure you to a porn site?).

I will wait for it to show up again, and report back. If anyone else has some info, I will be very grateful.

Cheers,
Susana


 

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:15
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
See this article Jun 5, 2003

I've probably found the answer in my newspaper. It appears to be a bug.

You can read for yourself on its electronic version:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/story/0,3605,970280,00.html
(copy the whole URL above)

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2003-06-05 20:03]


 

Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bless your little toes, Gianfranco! Jun 5, 2003

Gianfranco Manca wrote:

I've probably found the answer in my newspaper. It appears to be a bug.

You can read for yourself on its electronic version:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/story/0,3605,970280,00.html
(copy the whole URL above)

bye
Gianfranco




What a relief! No porn, no harm...just yet another silly, puzzling Microsoft glitchicon_confused.gif

At any rate, thanks a million for putting me at ease!

Best,

Susana


[Edited at 2003-06-05 20:21]


 

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:45
English to Tamil
+ ...
What a cute expression! Jun 6, 2003

Bless your little toes? How cute! Is it a Spanish expression? Could you give it in Spanish? Since I know Italian as well as French, I am sure I will be able to enjoy the original expression.
Sorry to have gone off-tangent, but I can't resist.


Susana Galilea wrote:

Gianfranco Manca wrote:

I've probably found the answer in my newspaper. It appears to be a bug.

You can read for yourself on its electronic version:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/story/0,3605,970280,00.html
(copy the whole URL above)

bye
Gianfranco




What a relief! No porn, no harm...just yet another silly, puzzling Microsoft glitchicon_confused.gif

At any rate, thanks a million for putting me at ease!

Best,

Susana


[Edited at 2003-06-05 20:21]


 

Rishi Miranhshah  Identity Verified
English to Panjabi
+ ...
Just to let you know Jun 6, 2003

Susana Galilea wrote:
that it could not be opened without going online to identify the program...just a ruse to lure you to a porn site?).


that it's not a ruse, but actually a service by Microsoft to identify the file extention - so don't be scared by this message at leasticon_smile.gif, in future.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Icon entitled "~" keeps appearing on my desktop

Advanced search






Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search