Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 7, 2008

Hi,

I know this topic has probably been discussed a few times here in the Proz.com forums, but I just read an article by Jason Hiner, Editor in Chief of TechRepublic, in which he analyzes the flaws of Windows Vista vs. Windows XP.

Here is the link to the article:

blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=849&tag=nl.e101

He
... See more
Hi,

I know this topic has probably been discussed a few times here in the Proz.com forums, but I just read an article by Jason Hiner, Editor in Chief of TechRepublic, in which he analyzes the flaws of Windows Vista vs. Windows XP.

Here is the link to the article:

blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=849&tag=nl.e101

He does not sound like the "typical Microsoft basher", so I get the impression that he is trying to be as objective as possible.

On the other hand, as a general user myself of various versions of the Windows OS (operating system) for many years and usually satisfied with them (more for practical reasons than anything), I have to say that, having used Windows Vista in my laptop for the past six months and Windows XP in my other desktop PCs for at least 4 years, I must say I agree with most (if not all) of the flaws mentioned by Mr. Hiner, compared to the stability (in general) that Windows XP had achieved.

Of course, Mr. Hiner refers mostly to the inconveniences Windows Vista may cause in large companies, where changing OS might become a major nightmare if a newer version of an OS is not as stable as the currently used one.

Still, I was just wondering if those individual users like myself who are currently using both versions of this OS feel the same way about this.

"Technically" concerned,

Ivette
Collapse

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
I prefer Vista over XP Oct 7, 2008

I have switched to Vista on both my computers and am very satisfied. All my old software works flawlessly and I have had no crashes, blue screens or error messages so far. I can't really see any major advantages over XP, but I certainly think it's more pleasant working with Vista. The only thing that annoys me is that there are so many compatibility issues with the 64bit version.

[Edited at 2008-10-07 15:03]

Kathi Stock
Kathi Stock  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:08
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Microsoft may extend Windows XP "downgrade" deadline by six months Oct 7, 2008

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/04/microsoft-may-extend-windows-xp-downgrade-deadline-by-six-mont/

Claudia Tirado (X)
Claudia Tirado (X)
Mexico
Local time: 08:08
English to Spanish
Vista needs more time Oct 7, 2008

Interesting article. I remember something similar happened when Windows XP appeared in the market, many people who bought computers went back to Windows 2000 or NT and many said the XP had lots of flaws and bugs, they were all fixed later... the same will happen with Vista.
In my case, I uninstalled Vista, I prefer XP jaja, Vista is cute but asks too many questions. What would be really useful is that we were able to choose the OS...

Ivette Camargo López
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some software not compatible Oct 7, 2008

Lutz Molderings wrote:

All my old software works flawlessly and I have had no crashes, blue screens or error messages so far.

In my case, not all the old software is compatible and, unfortunately, in some cases that old software is not being updated any more (due to the never ending acquisitions and/or mergings of software companies), so that means that I have to keep using it in Windows XP.

Lutz Molderings wrote:
The only thing that annoys me is that there are so many compatibility issues with the 64bit version.

This is probably the major flaw area, the compatibility issues, both in terms of drivers and/or software, as already mentioned.

Of course, I am aware that technology evolves and that we need to keep up-to-date, but, as mentioned in the article, sometimes those changes are "imposed" too soon, disregarding that a given OS had proven rather stable and reliable.

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
which software? Oct 7, 2008

In my case, not all the old software is compatible and, unfortunately, in some cases that old software is not being updated any more (due to the never ending acquisitions and/or mergings of software companies), so that means that I have to keep using it in Windows XP.

May I ask which software that is?
Have you tried running it with the Compatibility Wizard?

Ivette Camargo López
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
For example... Oct 7, 2008

Lutz Molderings wrote:
May I ask which software that is?
Have you tried running it with the Compatibility Wizard?

MusicMatch Jukebox, which is a nice music program for processing MP3 files. I love to make mixes of songs, so this is one of the most practical programs I had for doing that, but unfortunately the program was acquired by Yahoo and now Yahoo uses a new program, which is not as simple or as practical (at least in my opinion).

And yes, I have used the Compatibility Wizard but, although the program may run, it does not run the same way as in Windows XP and sometimes it freezes.

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
annyoing Oct 7, 2008

I don't know that program, but that is of course annoying.
Probably I've just had luck that all my programs happen to run.
Let's see what other people write

Ivette Camargo López
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, time, but... Oct 7, 2008

Claudia Tirado wrote:

In my case, I uninstalled Vista, I prefer XP jaja, Vista is cute but asks too many questions. What would be really useful is that we were able to choose the OS...

I agree with you, Claudia, that adapting to new technologies or, as in this case, OS, is sometimes a slow process, but I guess we can all more or less agree that the urgency or rather the "imposition" of certain updates sometimes is not too practical.

I know that there is also the purely hardware-related technical aspects of this, which means that more sophisticated processing chips are being created and, therefore, you probably need an equally "more sophisticated" OS, but I agree with the article that all some users would like is "more time" and "more tests" of those upgrades before the old systems or hardware are radically removed from the market.

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
User Account Control? Oct 7, 2008

but asks too many questions. What would be really useful is that we were able to choose the OS...

Have you turned User Account Control off?
I haven't really noticed Vista asking me more questions than XP.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:08
Swedish to English
+ ...
Vista not supporting HP scanner Oct 7, 2008

My not very old HP scanner (scanjet 4670) is partly redundant since installing Vista. HP has no driver supporting Vista and appears to have no intention of producing one. All I can now use is the generic MS driver which is OK for scanning ordinary docs. Only, one reason I bought this scanner was to be able to scan slides.

To do this I've now installed the software on my son's PC (XP). So all I have t do is disconnect the scanner carry it in to my son's room, try to find some space
... See more
My not very old HP scanner (scanjet 4670) is partly redundant since installing Vista. HP has no driver supporting Vista and appears to have no intention of producing one. All I can now use is the generic MS driver which is OK for scanning ordinary docs. Only, one reason I bought this scanner was to be able to scan slides.

To do this I've now installed the software on my son's PC (XP). So all I have t do is disconnect the scanner carry it in to my son's room, try to find some space on a teenager's overcrowded desk, connect the scanner and then insert the slide I need to scan. Piece of cake.

But then again, who ever said new technology should make life easier...
Collapse

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Ordered new computer with XP to keep my printer & dictionary Oct 7, 2008

When ordering my new computer last week, I decided, on balance, to pay £90 more to have Windows XP installed instead of Vista. I tried Vista on my laptop. Some of the features are fine, but it seems slow and hasn't won me over. The incompatibility that concerns me is that I would no longer have the same control over my treasured HP Deskjet 710C printer which has outperformed several other printers and that I would not be able to use my pop-up electronic Oxford English dictionary (iFinger, ve... See more
When ordering my new computer last week, I decided, on balance, to pay £90 more to have Windows XP installed instead of Vista. I tried Vista on my laptop. Some of the features are fine, but it seems slow and hasn't won me over. The incompatibility that concerns me is that I would no longer have the same control over my treasured HP Deskjet 710C printer which has outperformed several other printers and that I would not be able to use my pop-up electronic Oxford English dictionary (iFinger, version 5.1). Of that, I am certain. I don't know what else would stop working, but Windows XP Service Pack 2 is doing just fine. Vista needs 2 Gbyte Ram to work. My new computer will have 4 Gbyte Ram, but I want to use the Ram to sustain the dozen or so programmes I usually have running at the time (Word, Excel, mail client, SDLX, dictionary, Skype, MSN, backup programme, English dictionary, Dutch-English electronic dictionary, Mozilla Firefox logged into online dictionaries, Acrobat reader, printer, anti-virus programmes).

By the way, thanks for the interesting article, Ivette. I did a search through the forums on this subject at the time I ordered my computer and was surprised that this subject has not been debated more extensively. - Lutz, I will try your tip for switching off the User Account Control on my laptop, because I will have to learn to live with Vista while working on my laptop.
Collapse

Ivette Camargo López
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More on incompatibilities Oct 7, 2008

It's interesting to read from both Anne and Madelaine that there is a whole array of incompatibilities (both in terms of software and hardware) that are also not solved in Windows Vista.

Like I said, sometimes the problem is that some software or hardware companies do not follow (or cannot afford?), for whatever reason, the same "urgency" of updates that Microsoft directly/indirectly imposes and the ones left with the incompatibility issue are the end users.

At any rate
... See more
It's interesting to read from both Anne and Madelaine that there is a whole array of incompatibilities (both in terms of software and hardware) that are also not solved in Windows Vista.

Like I said, sometimes the problem is that some software or hardware companies do not follow (or cannot afford?), for whatever reason, the same "urgency" of updates that Microsoft directly/indirectly imposes and the ones left with the incompatibility issue are the end users.

At any rate, the already mentioned (both in the article whose link I posted and in the one posted by Kathi Stock) extension of 6 months for the XP downgrade is already a sign that Microsoft itself has seriously considered the financial impact that the inconveniences caused by Vista may have on their profits.

Again, I do not consider myself an "anti-Windows" or "anti-Microsoft" person, but after using Vista in my laptop for a while, I really get the feeling that Windows Vista is, equivalently, as faulty as Windows Millenium was (with which I also had a rather negative experience), which means that it may have a short lifespan.

Let's hope that the next Microsoft OS, Windows 7, will have solved all the flaws in Vista, or else we'll have to seriously consider switching to Linux or just stick to XP for a longer while.

Good night everyone
Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Small aside - answer from HP Oct 7, 2008

"HP [has] not yet released [a] full[y] featured [version of the relevant] Software due to certain limitations [limitations by whom - HP or MS?]. However, to make [enable?] the Scanner to have some functionality [function to a certain extent?] HP release[d] Basic drivers that enables [enable?] you to use the Scanner.

If you still wish to use Scanner on a Vista PC [yes please, your website informs me that the scanner is compatible with Vista], you can use [the] Scanners/Cameras wiza
... See more
"HP [has] not yet released [a] full[y] featured [version of the relevant] Software due to certain limitations [limitations by whom - HP or MS?]. However, to make [enable?] the Scanner to have some functionality [function to a certain extent?] HP release[d] Basic drivers that enables [enable?] you to use the Scanner.

If you still wish to use Scanner on a Vista PC [yes please, your website informs me that the scanner is compatible with Vista], you can use [the] Scanners/Cameras wizard from Control Panel. This [is] a basic feature of scanning which will allow you to use only Windows Picture Photo gallery."

Square brackets = my proofing/comments.

All this for a scanner which according to HP is compatible with
Vista:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=33103&prodTypeId=18972&objectID=c00814685

My suggestion (based on experience) - make sure you actually see your hardware working with Vista before making the switch.

Edit: Sorry missed that they'd also missed an "is".

[Edited at 2008-10-07 19:05]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Article about Windows XP vs. Windows Vista

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »