Does anybody use Microsoft Virtual PC to work daily?
Thread poster: Maria Paula Campagnari Bueno
Maria Paula Campagnari Bueno  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:15
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 29, 2009

Dear fellow translators,
I have a HP notebook and managed to install Windows XP in it but I could not find all the drivers and the operation of the OS is very limited. The factory settings use Windows Vista but not all my CAT tools are compatible. So I am thinking about using Microsoft Virtual PC in order to have a virtual machine with Windows XP, since we do not have Windows 7 full here in Brazil yet. Does anybody translate daily with Microsoft Virtual PC? Do you recommend?
Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:15
English to Serbian
+ ...
Not sure Jul 29, 2009

Of course, it could be done, but I'm not sure how much it would be comfortable to work in such environment. Btw, could you tell more about the whole problem, which tools you have are not Vista compatible, and which drivers you were not able to find for the XP?

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Dual boot Jul 29, 2009

Why not set up a proper dual boot system while you are at it? Do you need to switch between OSes often?

Egidijus Slepetys  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:15
German to Lithuanian
Use Windows Vista Jul 29, 2009

I can not understand, why people dislike Windows Vista so much.
It is a very good operating system.
If you bought your computer with Windows Vista, use it. I am very satisfied with Windows Vista. Everything is running on it. I experience no system crashes.

BTW., if something is not running, you can try to switch "compatibility mode": right-click on the program icon, choose properties and compatibility tab. Then choose "compatibility mode".

Regards,
Egidijus

Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Virtualbox Jul 30, 2009

Hello,

all the mac users use virutalisation software to run Windows on their Apple computers. You have the choice between Parallels, VMware Fusion and Virtualbox (free).
But why not staying with Vista or wait at least until Windows 7 comes.

Regards

Noe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anybody use Microsoft Virtual PC to work daily?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search