Best Practice for migration from XP to Vista PC
Thread poster: Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:50
English to German
+ ...
Aug 6, 2009

Hello,

I have to migrate all my data and my programs from my XP partition (Macbook Pro with Bootcamp) to a new PC with Vista. I figured out that "Windows Easy transfer" should do the trick, but is it really capable to transfer all my programs or is it advisable to reinstall everything from scratch?

Is it possible as a temporary solution to mount a virtual image of my old PC on my new Vista machine? How do I have to proceed in this case? What happens to all the hardware specific drivers?

Thanks in advance vor any hint.

Best regards

Noe

[Edited at 2009-08-06 07:45 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
English to Serbian
+ ...
Not sure Aug 6, 2009

To get the most out of your new OS I would reinstall everything from scratch. It takes time (though in the end it's only one PC), but at least you won't have to have any doubts if anything goes wrong in the future.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Noe Aug 6, 2009

I personally have installed all necessary programs from scratch and simply copied my data. Everything works like a clockwork.

Natalia

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:50
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Datafiles can be transferred Aug 6, 2009

But software must be installed, so that the registry is updated. Otherwise the programs won't have access to the resources of the machine, I think.
Regards
Heinrich

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Program settings only, grrhh Aug 6, 2009

Hello,

thanks for your answers. It seems that just the program settings can be transferred. So I have to reinstall them before moving and overwriting the settings.

Do be sure not to forget something I would like to mount a virtual image of my old PC in the new Vista. I think it must be possible with VMware Fusion and maybe also with some free software like Virtualbox.

Regards

Noe

Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
English to Serbian
+ ...
Maybe Aug 6, 2009

Maybe it could be possible, but is it worth the hassle? Unless you have some old or confirmed incompatible software I'm not sure whether it would be a good idea. A virtual machine always has its limitations.

[Edited at 2009-08-06 12:51 GMT]

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Virtual disk image on new PC Aug 17, 2009

Hello,

so finally I managed to use my old PC as a virtual image on my new PC.

I converted the physical image of my XP computer with Vmware Converter (freeware) into a VMware disk image and saved it to my external HD.

Then I installed an evaluation version of VMware Workstation (30 days) and opened the image. Then you have to install the VMware Tools to enhance the functionality of the image.

Once you have installed the VMware Tools you can switch to the freeware VMware Player to startup the virtual Windows image on your new PC.

This way if ever you have forgotten something you can always go back or even acces it through the virtual network.

Kind regards

Noe

[Edited at 2009-08-17 17:58 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best Practice for migration from XP to Vista PC

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 for €415/$495 with free eLearning
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 For this month only – receive SDL Trados Studio 2017 - Getting Started eLearning for FREE.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search