Changing windows automatically (by hovering over with the mouse)
Thread poster: Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:10
Dutch to French
+ ...
Oct 3, 2009

Hello all

I unfortunately changed an option in Windows Vista and can't remember where I found it.

Actually, whenever the mouse changes position and touches another window, this other window is automatically highlighted. I thought this might be handy, but in fact it is terribly irritating because a mouse moves all the time

Does anybody know where I changed this option?

Tks in advance
Elisabeth

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-10-04 10:12 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

saitoh  Identity Verified
Japan
Member (2009)
English to Japanese
+ ...
[Activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse] Oct 4, 2009

Elisabeth-san,

I think you may have selected the following option:

Start button > Control Panel > Ease of Access > Ease of Access Center > Make the mouse easier to use > Make it easier to switch between windows > Activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse.

Hope this helps you.
Saito

William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Try this... Oct 4, 2009

Hi Elisabeth,
I think this is what you need to solve this. Go to "Appearance and Personalization" then "folder options".
On the "General" tab, under "Click items as follows", select "Double-click to open an item (single-click to select)". You will notice that the opposite option is "Single click to open an item (POINT TO SELECT)" (my capitals, and that is what is happening to you!) I guess you were attracted to the "single click to open", but didn't notice the other effect which occurs along with it).

Hope this helps.

[Edited at 2009-10-04 05:40 GMT]

Claudine-Hélène L.
France
English to French
+ ...
I cant help but... Oct 4, 2009

HI Elizabeth
Sorry about your problem-that sort of thing sometimes happens to me too ie. I check new features then dont like them and cant remember where to find them- and I'm sorry I cant help you with it...I just wanted to say that it's not the single-double click Bill suggested.
I have the "single click" option on at all times and all it does is open things with one click instead of two, a simple shortcut really...it doesnt highlight windows or any of the other things you mention.
Best of luck anyway,sorry to be of so little use!

[Edited at 2009-10-04 08:58 GMT]

France
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, I like simple click... Oct 4, 2009

William [Bill] Gray wrote:

Hi Elisabeth,
I think this is what you need to solve this. Go to "Appearance and Personalization" then "folder options".
On the "General" tab, under "Click items as follows", select "Double-click to open an item (single-click to select)". You will notice that the opposite option is "Single click to open an item (POINT TO SELECT)" (my capitals, and that is what is happening to you!) I guess you were attracted to the "single click to open", but didn't notice the other effect which occurs along with it).

Hi Bill
I alway use simple click, highlighting when the mouse points to a file, the one click opens the file. This is the way I prefer for opening a file, but that is not the case here.

The option I mean here is the one that makes the main window pass behind another one when the mouse happens to slide out of the main window onto a window just underneath (immediately, in a split second...), like when you want to close the window and, going too fast, you exit the main window you want to close, the mouse just touches (and only touches) the secondary one. So no clicking whatsoever...

Tks nonetheless
Elisabeth

[Modifié le 2009-10-04 10:57 GMT]

France
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
at least I'm not alone ;-) Oct 4, 2009

cllmda wrote:

HI Elizabeth
Sorry about your problem-that sort of thing sometimes happens to me too ie. I check new features then dont like them and cant remember where to find them- and I'm sorry I cant help you with it...I just wanted to say that it's not the single-double click Bill suggested.
I have the "single click" option on at all times and all it does is open things with one click instead of two, a simple shortcut really...it doesnt highlight windows or any of the other things you mention.

Hi (sorry I don't know you're real first name ...)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who tries out things and then forgets...

Bon week-end
Elisabeth

France
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bingo ! Oct 4, 2009

saitoh wrote:
I think you may have selected the following option:

Start button > Control Panel > Ease of Access > Ease of Access Center > Make the mouse easier to use > Make it easier to switch between windows > Activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse.

Hope this helps you.
Saito

Dear Saito-san

That's it ! Thanks so much, this was really getting on my nerves...

Tks again
Elisabeth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing windows automatically (by hovering over with the mouse)

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search