Windows 7 issues (OS is corrupting Word 2003 files)
Thread poster: Patricia Rosas

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 26, 2009

Friends,

Yesterday, I started a thread under Speech Recognition after buying a new laptop with Windows 7 (the laptop running Vista that I bought in July crashed on Friday and there were no remaining Vista machines in the store).

First, I discovered problems with running a lot of software since this is a 64-bit OS and most of the programs run on 32-bit or 16-bit OS's.

Even more serious, however, any Word file saved in Word 2003 is corrupted when it is uploaded to this machine or if it arrives as an e-mail attachment.

It is possible to run a virtual 32-bit system if I upgrade to Win 7 Professional, but I have no idea if that will resolve the problem with the Word files. This is very scary for me, because many of my clients are still using Word 2003.

Has any one else experienced this? Is anyone else experiencing Win 7 issues in general?

Thanks,
Patricia


 

Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:17
French to English
Why rush out and buy this new OS?? Oct 26, 2009

Hi Patricia I would immediately reinstall vista on my old laptop and get back to work with that rather than worry about Windows 7 so soon after it has been marketed. With all the programs that I depend on now operating smoothly with Vista the last thing I would do would be to change OS before other people have sorted out all the teething problems and compatibility issues.
Incidently my Vista also crashed after 3 months due to a problem with a memory device. I reinstalled my computer with my backup disc and it has been OK ever since (2 years). There is lots of advice now on the web about making vista go faster. Come back to Windows 7 in a few months. If it isn't running with Word 2003 just think what it might do with other non-MS programs?


 

Rad Graban  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:17
English to Slovak
+ ...
Agree with NR_Stedman Oct 26, 2009

Can't help you much with your questions, but I wouldn't touch Windows 7 with a barge pole for the time being.

 

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
because I have to keep working Oct 26, 2009

NR_Stedman wrote:

Hi Patricia I would immediately reinstall vista on my old laptop and get back to work with that rather than worry about Windows 7 so soon after it has been marketed.


Hi, NR

I guess I explained my problem better in yesterday's thread. The Vista laptop has to be sent in for repairs, which I gather will take about 3 weeks. In the meantime, I have to work (was supposed to work all weekend even). My XP machine (although only 3.5 years old) is just falling apart on me, and surprisingly, I loved the Vista environment and trying to go back to XP has been a pain.

I went to the store intending to buy an identical machine to the one I bought in July, but they'd removed all computers with Vista. So, having to work, I came home with the machine I'm using right now.

Interesting what you say about your laptop's crash. I sensed that mine might be a lemon, but the crash scenario was complicated (I don't have the time or will to explain it all here, I'll probably burst into tears and short out this new computer!).

Thanks,

Patricia


 

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is anyone else having this problem? Oct 26, 2009

I'm surprised more people haven't spoken up about this, and I can't find anything via a Google search. Can someone out there confirm that they are running Win 7 and that Word 2003 are NOT getting corrupted?

fwiw all my other issues have been resolved and I'm about 80% satisfied with the OS so far ...

Thanks,
Patricia


 

Rob Edwards  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:17
German to English
Windows 7 already has a much better reputation than Vista Oct 26, 2009

Rad Graban wrote:

Can't help you much with your questions, but I wouldn't touch Windows 7 with a barge pole for the time being.


I would avoid Vista rather than Windows 7. I have upgraded my machine to the 32 bit version of Windows 7 and already it seems much snappier. Vista had a bad rep right from the get go, whereas most reviews I have seen for Windows 7 are very positive.

I would avoid 64 bit until it becomes more widely used however. From what I understand, the main benefit of a 64 bit system is that it can handle much longer memory addresses and so allows you to install more RAM (more RAM = faster system) with the benefit only being felt with RAM of 4Gb and up. If possible, I would advise that you install the 32 bit version of Windows 7, as I understand that many drivers and programs do not yet exist in 64 bit versions, meaning a great deal of searching online for fixes and workarounds to get your hardware working and running your programs in an emulated 32 bit mode (which is slower). Unless you are a real PC enthusiast, wait a bit longer for 64 bit.

The time will come where we will all have to change to 64 bit, but the infrastructure needs to be in place for that to happen.

Might this be useful for you: http://news.office-watch.com/t/n.aspx?articleid=791&zoneid=13 ?

[Edited at 2009-10-26 22:20 GMT]


 

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for the link! Oct 26, 2009

Rob Edwards wrote:

Rad Graban wrote:

Can't help you much with your questions, but I wouldn't touch Windows 7 with a barge pole for the time being.


I would avoid Vista rather than Windows 7. ...
Might this be useful for you: http://news.office-watch.com/t/n.aspx?articleid=791&zoneid=13 ?

[Edited at 2009-10-26 22:02 GMT]


Rob,

Thanks for the link. It was a rough couple of days, but I've resolved most of my issues (have Dragon running and WordMagic plugged in). As far as the files go, I found

www.writer.zoho.com

It's free and i haven't explored it yet, but it seems like I might be able to have regular clients upload their files there, I could then save them in .docx format, and download them to my computer.

I'm really liking this zippy laptop! So, for now, I'm sticking with the 64-bit configuration.

Patricia


 

Rob Edwards  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:17
German to English
Good to hear Oct 26, 2009

Hi Patricia,

Glad to hear it's all sorted.

I thought long and heard before I installed the 32 bit version to be honest, but plumped for that in the end only because I only have 3GB of RAM so would not really have gained much from the switch. I will probably take the plunge with my next PC in a few years (when we'll have windows 8 and the fun and games start all over againicon_wink.gif).

Rob


 

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Microsoft (sigh) Oct 26, 2009

Rob Edwards wrote:

Hi Patricia,

Glad to hear it's all sorted.

I thought long and heard before I installed the 32 bit version to be honest, but plumped for that in the end only because I only have 3GB of RAM so would not really have gained much from the switch. I will probably take the plunge with my next PC in a few years (when we'll have windows 8 and the fun and games start all over againicon_wink.gif).

Rob


As I lay awake fretting this weekend, I began pondering what the state of the world would be if we all hadn't wasted the millions of man hours to relearn new OS's and software packages!icon_wink.gif


 

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 11:17
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
"any Word file saved in Word 2003 is corrupted" - Huh?? Oct 27, 2009

Hi Tricia:

Can you tell us more about this problem? What kind of Office have you been using on the new system? I am using 2007 and 2003 on Windows 7 and I have yet to hit a snag.

Re Windows 7 and Vista: I have jumped to Windows 7 64bits and so far the sailing has been easy. That includes all kinds of applications (Microsoft office, Trados, Translation Office etc). Once I have figured - yet again - how to enter the mailer passwords into the Thunderbird version (and that for sure has nothing to do with OS), I will be 100% on Windows 7.

Of course, it would be harder to jump if I had piles of work to do.

Regards

Vito



[Edited at 2009-10-27 05:44 GMT]


 

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word 2007 on Win 7 Oct 27, 2009

VitoSmolej wrote:

Hi Tricia:

Can you tell us more about this problem? What kind of Office have you been using on the new system? I am using 2007 and 2003 on Windows 7 and I have yet to hit a snag.

Re Windows 7 and Vista: I have jumped to Windows 7 64bits and so far the sailing has been easy. That includes all kinds of applications (Microsoft office, Trados, Translation Office etc). Once I have figured - yet again - how to enter the mailer passwords into the Thunderbird version (and that for sure has nothing to do with OS), I will be 100% on Windows 7.

Of course, it would be harder to jump if I had piles of work to do.

Regards

Vito



[Edited at 2009-10-27 05:44 GMT]


Vito,

Wow! Well, now I am wondering what's happening here. First, can you explain more what you mean by the Thunderbird password? I've got Thunderbird running without problem and maybe I can help you with that?

Here's my situation: Since late July, I've been on Windows Vista with Word 2007. Some older files never got converted because I didn't open them (or because I was working with clients who didn't have Word 2007). When I uploaded them from my memory stick, they became corrupted. They display a .pdf icon rather than a Word icon--but Adobe Reader also can't read them.

Because the Vista laptop crashed, I hadn't backed up everything. I went back to my XP machine and downloaded older files from it (all in Word 2003). When I tried to upload them, the same thing happened!

Then yesterday, a client sent me some files as attachments in Thunderbird and when I opened the e-mail, they were corrupted, too, and absolutely unreadable.

Despite all this and other problems, I'm loving this 64-bit fmachine! It's a Ferrari! Couldn't afford to buy it but had no other choice, and now, I'm thinking it may be a silver lining to all my woes on Friday!

Best,
Patricia


 

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 11:17
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
re thunderbird pwd Oct 28, 2009

Patricia Rosas wrote:

Wow! Well, now I am wondering what's happening here. First, can you explain more what you mean by the Thunderbird password? I've got Thunderbird running without problem and maybe I can help you with that?


It's pretty simple - I want to use the existing Thunderbird profile both on Vista (no problem there) and on Windows 7 - no problem either, except that the mail server does not allow me to retrieve the mail. I know, it is ridiculous.


Here's my situation: Since late July, I've been on Windows Vista with Word 2007. Some older files never got converted because I didn't open them (or because I was working with clients who didn't have Word 2007). When I uploaded them from my memory stick, they became corrupted. They display a .pdf icon rather than a Word icon--but Adobe Reader also can't read them.

Because the Vista laptop crashed, I hadn't backed up everything. I went back to my XP machine and downloaded older files from it (all in Word 2003). When I tried to upload them, the same thing happened!

Then yesterday, a client sent me some files as attachments in Thunderbird and when I opened the e-mail, they were corrupted, too, and absolutely unreadable.

Looks like Freddy's been back and you have not noticed. Reminds me a little of an old problem in OpenOffice writer, where you could print the file into a PDF, while leaving the DOC extension intact (!! - or something similarly catastrophic). I was the first to open this issue (nearly made it to a show stopper for 2.x version) and still hear of it now and then (http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=72209)

Despite all this and other problems, I'm loving this 64-bit fmachine! It's a Ferrari!

The f is a typo, I guess, but it is still well deserved (gg). I second your opinion, at least as regards 64bit Windows 7.

regards

Vito

[Edited at 2009-10-28 20:46 GMT]


 

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
problems are beginning to resolve themselves... Oct 28, 2009

VitoSmolej wrote:

Despite all this and other problems, I'm loving this 64-bit fmachine! It's a Ferrari!

The f is a typo, I guess, but it is still well deserved (gg). I second your opinion, at least as regards 64bit Windows 7.

regards

Vito

[Edited at 2009-10-28 20:46 GMT]


Just for the record, I discovered that I can open the files in Word Pad and save them as .docx. Unfortunately, sometimes the accents are replaced by other characters--but the error is always consistent, so I think I can fix it with a global search and replace.

Like a dummy, I threw out a lot of the corrupted files--I should have waited to see if there wouldn't be a simple fix!


 

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word 2007 is now an option for opening corrupted files Oct 30, 2009

Well, this really has me puzzled! After figuring out that I could select "Open" with the right button on my mouse, which would give me three options for opening the corrupted file: .pdf, Word Pad, and one other that I can't remember, this morning when I went to open a file, there was an option for Word in the list!

How the computer can fix itself is beyond me, but it has ....


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows 7 issues (OS is corrupting Word 2003 files)

Advanced search






Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search