XP sticks at "going into standby" screen
Thread poster: David BUICK

David BUICK  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:39
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Nov 7, 2009

My PC running XP has started stopping going into standby mode. That is to say, it gets as far as the "going into standby mode" screen and then churns on and on. Only turning it off and on again gets it going again. I have fiddled with the shutdown options, disabled hibernation mode or whatever you English-speakers called it, fiddled with the monitor switch-off times, all to no avail (the monitor will go off but it still gets stuck, apparently at the same place).

This seems to be the case even with no obvious apps running. I have slight suspicions about Skype or my AVG antivirus, but nothing more.

Casual browsing has turned up lots of exciting suggestions like "reinstall Windows" which I'm not about to do. Can anyone suggest any less invasive fixes that might be possible?

Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 13:39
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Repair Nov 7, 2009

Hello,

I'd suggest a repair of the system via the Windows XP CD...

Regards,

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
A few questions and one suggestion Nov 7, 2009

1) What is your power saving option?
2) Have you installed anything lately? New software? mouse? keyboard?
3) Do you have Adobe Type Manager installed?

If the answer to questions 2 and 3 is NO, try to find the culprit by unchecking the startup programs one by one.

Natalia

Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Had the same problem... Nov 7, 2009

I have not observed it recently, though, but experienced it now and then for many months.
No idea where it comes from. I would suspect that it appeared with a Windows update but may be linked to what kind of apps are running at the time I go into standby. Usually, my computer goes into standby, but once in a while it loops forever, without stopping.
I have suspected Kaspersky, DagonNaturallySpeaking, Trados, Firefox to generate the problem (which is actually in Windows code, I guess). I think it only happens when I have some (or all) of these applications busy by the time I want to go to standby mode. I have uninstalled Kaspersky recently and I cannot remember having experienced this deadlock since, but I'm not 100% sure.

Theo Bernards  Identity Verified
France
English to Dutch
+ ...
I recently ran into something similar... Nov 7, 2009

and I fiddled for three days to discover I had run into something called "BAD POOL CALLER". If you have a boot disk, try using that to see if you can start up completely. I am not an expert by a long shot so I ended up putting my machine into the boot of my car and bringing it to a computer repair shop, consoling myself with the fact that the weather was beautiful and I had lots of time for walks and working in the garden.

I don't have Skype nor AVG on that computer, but the repair shop has informed me it can come from virtually anywhere. Reinstalling XP was no good for me, because in the absence of having a boot disk I couldn't even get to the point that an XP disk would be read...

Best of luck and try not to let it dampen your spirit, even though the weather here in France doesn't allow for walks (unless you want to get a cold...).

Theo, Dutchman in France

Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Probably not same problem as Theo Nov 8, 2009

Like Eutychus, I can get out of the problem by powering down the PC then restarting. When restarting, everything works fine.
It's just that when you go into standby mode, you hope to retrieve your environnement and apps just as they were... And then, because the PC doesn't stop, but doesn't restart either, you have to turn it down and loose your current environnement. Disturbing, but no need to go to the PC shop...

David BUICK  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
more details Nov 8, 2009

Yes, my problem is more like Bohy's than Theo's: if I switch off and restart then it's all ok (except obviously for anything I haven't saved...). Plus, it doesn't do it every single time.

The problem occurs even when there are no applications actively running. As I said, I suspect either an AVG antivirus update; perhaps a Windows update would be a possibility.

To answer Natalie, the only new additions are the ones I've mentioned above. I had my power saving option on "desktop PC" with montior shutdown after 20 minutes and hard disk shutdown after 1 hour. I've tried changing to "minimal management" (or should that be "minimal power"?; "gestion de l'alimentation minimale", another opportunity to complain at Microsoft translations into French) in which the hard disk never shuts down; no improvement. I have also unchecked "sleep" (hibernation)? mode but that doesn't seem to make any difference either.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Sleep and hibernation Nov 8, 2009

Eutychus wrote:

I have also unchecked "sleep" (hibernation)? mode but that doesn't seem to make any difference either.

Sleep and hibernate are different things. In sleep, RAM (volatile memory) content is preserved by keeping the RAM switched on. Most or all other hardware is switched off so the computer uses very little power. Still, it needs that little bit: if you put a laptop in sleep mode, unplug it and take out the battery, the RAM is erased and you lose unsaved changes and can't return to your session like you normally would (the computer will just boot up).

Hibernation basically consists of writing the RAM contents to the hard disk, which allows the computer to be powered off completely. Because of the disk read/write involved, going into and coming back from hibernation is slower than with sleep mode.

Anyway, the problem itself occurs with my own XP computer every now and then too. No idea what the exact cause is, I've given up on finding out. When it hangs, I just kill it.

delveneto
United States
Local time: 08:39
English to Portuguese
+ ...
HijackThis! & msconfig Nov 10, 2009

Run HijackThis and generate a report.

http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

Copy and paste the report to this analyser:

http://www.hijackthis.de/

Look carefully the analyser's report for any entry that is suspicious. It may help to pinpoint the problem. Analysing the analyser's report may not be easy, it takes some experience but getting used to HijachThis is a good thing.

Otherwise, I'd follow Natalie's tip: use the System Configuration Utility (msconfig) to disable temporarily and selectively Services and Startup items until you find out who's the one causing the problem. Avoid messing with Microsoft Services.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XP sticks at "going into standby" screen

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search