Channa Montijn  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:46
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Dec 4, 2009

Dear all

Does anybody know where to download a free glossary (English-other languages (esp. Dutch)for Windows 7.
I checked the Microsoft Language Page, but they only offer a term and glossary search option for free and I am looking for a file I can import in a TM or in MT.
On this site MS mentions this:
"With an MSDN or TechNet subscription, you can download the UI translations (a.k.a. "UI strings") in CSV format. These now include Windows 7 translations. The content of these files is identical to what you will find in the online search on the Language Portal, but the UI strings in CSV format can be useful for offline searches."
Thanks in advance for your comments!

Direct link Reply with quote

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Glossary or TM Dec 4, 2009

Channa Montijn wrote:

Dear all

Does anybody know where to download a free glossary (English-other languages (esp. Dutch)for Windows 7.
I checked the Microsoft Language Page, but they only offer a term and glossary search option for free and I am looking for a file I can import in a TM or in MT.
On this site MS mentions this:
"With an MSDN or TechNet subscription, you can download the UI translations (a.k.a. "UI strings") in CSV format. These now include Windows 7 translations. The content of these files is identical to what you will find in the online search on the Language Portal, but the UI strings in CSV format can be useful for offline searches."
Thanks in advance for your comments!

The text you quote clearly refers to UI strings, i.e. it is a TM. Is this what you want or a glossary?
Microsoft has always had a multilingual glossary in Excel on the language site, freely downloadable without as much as registering. I'm sure it's still on there, perhaps updated with some Win7 terminology - although I'm sure there isn't much to add. It's pretty comprehensive and pretty good... well, if you need Microsoft terminology it is.
If you want a full TM with all the win7 strings (legally), I guess you'll need an MSDN or Technet subscription.

Claudio Porcellana  Identity Verified
Italy
no more ftp glossaries Dec 4, 2009

you must definitely pay for a MSDN or Technet subscription

Claudio

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Indeed Dec 5, 2009

It does look like Microsoft have removed the xls glossary from the site, I can't find it now. It was there about half a year or a year ago.
A few years back they even made the the UI strings freely available... apparently, they are becoming more and more secretive.
Good job I have these resoucres stashed away...

Claudio Porcellana  Identity Verified
Italy
just in case you haven't filed MS FTP glossaries ... Dec 5, 2009

with WinLexic 2005 (the same developers of Translation Office) you can have all them plus a user-friendly interface ...

Claudio

Netherlands
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Glossaries Dec 5, 2009

Fortunately I do have the glossaries of previous Windows versions (via the ftp site), I was just wondering if there was an updated version (with Windows 7 terms and translated terms) which we could download like we used to.

Willeke Barens  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
+ ...
status of windows7 glossaries? Sep 29, 2010

hi Channa, did you find anything in the meantime? I've come across a few terms now in a translation and I'd like to make sure they are OK for Windows 7!

Andrei Shmatkov  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:46
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
MS glossary Sep 29, 2010

Willeke Barens wrote:

hi Channa, did you find anything in the meantime? I've come across a few terms now in a translation and I'd like to make sure they are OK for Windows 7!

I always check MS terms at http://www.microsoft.com/Language/en-US/Search.aspx
Hope it helps!

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Or even better Sep 29, 2010

Glossary downloads in TBX: http://www.microsoft.com/Language/en-US/Terminology.aspx

Netherlands
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Via internet Sep 30, 2010

I have been using the Microsoft glossary on the internet and it works really well... even better than importing files in MT like I use to, because MT not always works the way it should

Happy translator's day!

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Thanks Sep 30, 2010

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Glossary downloads in TBX: http://www.microsoft.com/Language/en-US/Terminology.aspx

Apparently, Microsoft didn't remove the xls files to screw with us then; they were just transitioning to a different format.
The TBX files are far from ideal: you can't easily generate a multilingual termbase from them and the structure is pretty poor as well: synonyms have been entered as new records. Still, these are just small niggles. We got updated and expanded content (they added definitions), and I'm very happy with that.

The Hungarian-English glossary grew from about 10 thousand entries to 12 thousand, so it looks like a significant update.
Thanks again for sharing!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows 7 glossary

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search