networking with Windows 7
Thread poster: Nicholas Stedman

Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:51
French to English
Jan 10, 2010

Why can’t buying a new computer be as fun as buying a new car? The first day is almost always spent pulling out your hair trying to get all your old programs to work. And then Microsoft comes up with these odd time-wasting inventions like "user account control" on vista. All was well with windows 7 until I realised that they have completely changed the networking system making it very difficult to link up a W7 computer with an old XP or vista computer. I would be very grateful if someone could explain this to me in easy steps or give a link to a very clear explanation on the web. (there are hundreds of unclear explanations for frustrated W7 users but I have found none at my « dummy » level) I can sent files from my vista laptop to my W7 desktop but not the other way round (I don’t have permission !! who from ? )
Thanks

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:51
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Have you tried the "Dummies" site? Jan 10, 2010

Not sure if it would help, but if you haven't tried it already, you might search within this site:
http://eu.dummies.com/search.html

Michael Kazakov  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 06:51
English to Russian
+ ...
SevenForums Jan 10, 2010

NR_Stedman wrote:
I would be very grateful if someone could explain this to me in easy steps or give a link to a very clear explanation on the web.

You may want to check this site, it has loads of very usefull information:
http://www.sevenforums.com/#seven-forums

I can sent files from my vista laptop to my W7 desktop but not the other way round (I don’t have permission !! who from ? )

So the networking does work at least in one direction?

See if that articles helps:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/24232-sharing-permissions.html?filter[2]=Networking%20Internet

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:51
English to German
+ ...
It does work nicely Jan 10, 2010

But you don't have to "send" files.

On our wireless network (2 XPs, 1 W7 and printers) I can open files on the XP computer that are on the W7 computer's hard disk only, work on them and save them to the XP hard disk.

It works as follows:

On XP machine --> My Network Places --> Users on Kolosso (name of my W7 laptop) --> folder: Public --> Documents --> Docs (the doc folder on Kolosso) --> click on any document and open it.

Just don't ask me how my expensive computer guy set this up. I will be happy to provide his phone number / email address if you wish.

Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:51
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
No luck yet! Jan 10, 2010

Thanks Michael for this link. Unfortunately the instructions don't work: when I follow them I am unable to change the sharing options of the file (stages 7-8). (when I click "everyone" and try to change the sharing options I am told that I am not authorized to do so)
Hi Nicole, your idea may work but it means that you have to deal with every file one by one. I'll try it out though.
PS Unfortunately when I started up my computer I opted for a "domestic" network. This apparently means I can only network with other windows 7 computers. If some computer expert could confirm this and tell me how to change this option this may help!

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:51
English to German
+ ...
He also copied the entire hard disk to the new W7 at once Jan 10, 2010

NR_Stedman wrote:

Hi Nicole, your idea may work but it means that you have to deal with every file one by one. I'll try it out though.

The single file thing came up only because we were moving during the last couple of days and only one PC was hooked up.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

networking with Windows 7

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search