Thread poster: Marlene Blanshay

Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:39
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Jun 9, 2010

I have a dell inspiron laptop and have trouble with some accents. Some of them work fine, but I haven't been able to get the c with cedille to work, only when I use the "insert" function. The key that is SUPPOSED to work is control plus comma then C.
I thought it was control shift comma C. Ever since i got this Dell and windows vista...all kinds of annoyances.
Anyone who can help, greatly appreciated.
This is a problem as I work using french!

Direct link Reply with quote

Frédéric Pizzaia  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:39
English to French
+ ...
Try change on Word Jun 9, 2010

Hi,

Depending on the Office program you're working (for example: Office 2003), in Word 2003, you can simply add a shortcut key for the "ç".

In the toolbar menu, go to Insert -> Symbol -> select the "ç" character -> click on "shortcut key" and make the modification.

It will be saved in your normal.dot, so you don't need to make this modifcation every time.

I hope it may help.

Regards,

Frédéric

Phillippa May Bennett
Portugal
Local time: 08:39
Portuguese to English
Language bar Jun 9, 2010

Hi Marlene,

I also have a Dell Inspiron and use Vista as well. In the tool bar at the bottom of the page I have included the language bar - I switch my whole keyboard between English, Portuguese and German at the click of mouse. You then just have to do a bit of fiddling work out where the keys are but it works really well.

Hope that helps!

Phillippa

Carole Paquis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:39
Member (2007)
English to French
Same as Phillippa Jun 9, 2010

Phillippa Bennett wrote:

In the tool bar at the bottom of the page I have included the language bar - I switch my whole keyboard between English, Portuguese and German at the click of mouse.

Phillippa

Having "played" with different systems over the years, I also switch my whole keyboard nowadays. It takes a bit of practice to avoid typos, but it's fine after a while.

Carole

Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:39
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes all good suggestions.... Jun 9, 2010

i assume you mean the EN at the bottom of the screen? i should have thought of that. I also saw the change symbol function as well that Frederic suggested and just changed it, so that should solve the problem as well.

it's word 2007, I should have said. I also have trouble doing accents in forms like this, email and web pages. It's embarrassing. I don't think I had this problem with my old PC.

[Edited at 2010-06-09 11:47 GMT]

Alison Sabedoria  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Number codes Jun 9, 2010

I often use the Alt key plus the appropriate code on the number pad.

I made a chart of these several years ago (I believe there are websites that list them if you don't have a manual) and long before becoming a translator I had most of the French ones in my head. I've just typed 8,000 words in French using mostly this system; for me it beats the "insert" option any day, though I did need that for a quotation in Greek yesterday!

ç = Alt + 0231
Ç = Alt + 0199

It's very useful for typing here on ProZ, and for inserting things like French quotation marks, without disturbing the overall setting:

« = Alt + 0171
» = Alt + 0187

My programmes are a real mix of English and French defaults - a bit untidy, but it works.

Alison

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

french accents on Laptop, Windows Vista

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search