https://www.proz.com/forum/windows_operating_systems/18264-problem_when_restoring_windows_me_blank_screen.html

Problem when restoring Windows ME: blank screen
Thread poster: Florence LOUIS
Florence LOUIS
Florence LOUIS  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:43
English to French
+ ...
Feb 10, 2004

Hi everybody,

I have a big problem with my old computer : I have tried to restore it (ie put it back as it was when I first bought it) in order to sell it, and I followed the instructions (ie start with the disk and do the restauring process) and everything was OK. But now, when I switch the computer on, I have the black screen with all usual data (buses, data updating, etc), and then, when the Windows Me screen should appear, I have a black screen and the screen remains black. I c
... See more
Hi everybody,

I have a big problem with my old computer : I have tried to restore it (ie put it back as it was when I first bought it) in order to sell it, and I followed the instructions (ie start with the disk and do the restauring process) and everything was OK. But now, when I switch the computer on, I have the black screen with all usual data (buses, data updating, etc), and then, when the Windows Me screen should appear, I have a black screen and the screen remains black. I cannot do anything at all.
Has anyone ever had this problem ? Does anybody knwo the solution ? I know nothing about computers!!

Tanks a lot
Collapse

Anne Seerup
Anne Seerup
Ireland
Local time: 13:43
English to Danish
+ ...
I had a similar problem once Feb 10, 2004

If your computer came with everything preinstalled, this is usually located in at hidden partition of the harddrive. My old computer (packard bell) came with a recovery floppy disk but since I had reformatted the harddrive I could not recover the hidden programs. I found out that the system had been "tattoed" and this "tattoo" had disappeared when formatting. So I had to perform some DOS-commands in order to retattoo the system and thus make the recovery floppy disk work again. This might not be... See more
If your computer came with everything preinstalled, this is usually located in at hidden partition of the harddrive. My old computer (packard bell) came with a recovery floppy disk but since I had reformatted the harddrive I could not recover the hidden programs. I found out that the system had been "tattoed" and this "tattoo" had disappeared when formatting. So I had to perform some DOS-commands in order to retattoo the system and thus make the recovery floppy disk work again. This might not be the solution for you, but I suggest that you call technical support or visit the manufacturers website. I found the solution via technical FAQ. Mind this was a couple of years ago. It really is a pain in the neck though that the PC does not come with at full boot disc for Windows.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem when restoring Windows ME: blank screen

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »