URGENT WinXP Help
Thread poster: xxxncfialho
xxxncfialho  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:47
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 9, 2004

Hi to all,
my System WIn XP Professional chrashed and now I need advice how to recover my data.
I am not able to install over the old system and need a programm to recover my data booting from floppy drive.
Any help?
Thanks,
Natália

Direct link Reply with quote

Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:47
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Need more info.... Apr 9, 2004

How is your screen on start-up?
What is left that can be used?
Isn't possible to reconfigure at a previous date?

Bogdan Burghelea  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 11:47
English to German
+ ...
advice Apr 9, 2004

Natália Fialho wrote:

Hi to all,
my System WIn XP Professional chrashed and now I need advice how to recover my data.
I am not able to install over the old system and need a programm to recover my data booting from floppy drive.
Any help?
Thanks,
Natália

Have you tried removing the hard disk and putting it into another computer (as the second drive, of course)? your HDD has to be set as slave (otherwise, the host computer will attempt to boot from it and you are no step further) through the jumpers on the rear side of it (if this sounds French to you, than it might be better to hire a professional data rescue company to do it for you )
if this works, than you can attempt to copy everything on a CD (or DVD), according to how much data you need to save
Best of luck!

Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:47
German to Croatian
+ ...
Can you access System Restore? Apr 9, 2004

Can you boot your computer at all?

[Edited at 2004-04-10 08:33]

German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More Info Apr 9, 2004

Hi,
frst of all thanks for your help...
My problem is, I started to install over the old system (I did that some time ago and it worked) but I cant finish the installation( maybe the CD is bad..I will try to arrange another one)
System recovery is not working because I have this unfinished installation
Put the hard disk into another Computer is bad, because it is a laptop.
Thanks for more advice,
Natália

xxx00000000
English to French
+ ...
Use Task Manager Apr 9, 2004

[quote]Natália Fialho wrote:

System recovery is not working because I have this unfinished installation /quote]

With Task Manager (right-click in the blue bar at the bottom of the screen), chose Processes and end anything that looks like an installation.

Good luck!
Esther

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Try to boot up from the CDROM Apr 10, 2004

Hi Natalia

Insert the WinXP CD and while your laptop is booting, look for the key that should be pressed to enter the BIOS (if you need to change the booting sequence). May be entering BIOS is not needed, just observe attentively the text on the screen: perhaps at some moment there will be "Press TAB (on any other key probably) to boot from CDROM drive".

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
emergency operation Apr 10, 2004

Only in case Natalies proposal does not work (nor do you have a rescue disk):

You could try to
- re-partition the hard disk with Partition Magic,
- install XP on the new partition,
- rescue the data from the old partition (burning it or sending it via email or ftp somewhere),
- repartition and format the whole disk again,
- install XP again, and
- fetch the saved data.

I hope you will find an easier way, because this way would take (me) several days..

xxxpucoug  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:32
English to Hindi
+ ...
Another Computer Apr 10, 2004

Just another method:

If you have another computer, you can unplug the hard drive that has crashed and plug in to the other computer. It will recognize the old hard drive as a new drive and you can recover files from there.

hth

xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 03:47
English to Russian
+ ...
I have been there a month ago Apr 10, 2004

Dear colleague,
I apologize for not addressing you by name but on my screen is shows with a couple of obviousely wrong characters (digits).

The cause of my trouble was a virus caught because I foolishly forgot to re-enable Norton after some SW setup from CD.

My laptop was still bootable but it started with problems with registry. Norton still worked but Symantec would not allow me to run LiveUpdate claiming that I have no Administrator rights, etc. etc., Then one small or not too small glitch after another. Then got a call from my friend about receiving an infected email and that was in fact my message. That did it. I had my recovery CD with me and tried to run it in the repair mode first. It worked de jure but not de facto - the mode was completed but no big changes. I called around to different computer guys and figured out that noone would advise to install the system over the crashed old one. For an average user this could turn into an exhausting troubleshooting exercise with no joy, and do more damage than help, plus the chances of the system being unstable afterwards are very high. So I gave up, saved all the data I could and reformatted the whole thing from the black box stage. It took about 2.5 hours altogether to do that and run the recovery CD in a new installation mode. Office took another 45 minutes, Internet settings - about 30 since the Internet Explorer SW was included in the CD, I only had to reestablish the connection. This way by that evening I was on my feet again and could continue working in PowerPoint. The rest took a few days in between work and life, no overtime at all. I would suggest following Harry's advise. The only thing I did diferently was no re-partitioning. I'm enjoying a clean nicely running laptop, still a few updates to download but this is not a big deal.

If you wish, please write me and I will go into more details step by step. I'm not a professional computer person (this might be a plus, we'll be talking human language:-))but I did it all by myself and can guide you through this as long as your computer is bootable at all. I sure hope so!!!! Good luck. I know your feelings.....

I have XP too.

Cheers,
Irina
irina@setranslations.net

[Edited at 2004-04-10 07:08]

[Edited at 2004-04-10 07:24]

[Edited at 2004-04-10 11:04]

German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so far.... Apr 10, 2004

Dear all,
thanks for your advice...the problem seem to bee my WinXP CD... I arranged another one and am trying to continue the installation...it is taking sooo much time...I dont know if I will suceed but I hope so....it would be very hard to loose all the data (I normally do backup my data, but I am in a unusual situation and my computer is not at my office and in fact I made the mistake to not backup every day....)
Thanks and have a nice easter,
Natália

[Edited at 2004-04-10 14:54]

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
It's probably too late, but... Apr 21, 2004

...as a rule of thumb, if your system won't boot any more, it's time to consult a professional service person. Any attempts at fixing the problem by yourself might worsen the problem.

I am a trained & experienced computer "guru" myself and when I read some of the advice given here, it makes my hair raise. Sure, it may help, but you better know darn well what you're doing before you attempt things like re-partitioning (thus resizing the existing partition, if I understand the suggestion correctly). Not to mention that most people don't have the necessary tools at hand.

After all, this is your business, so even if the service person charges money for their work, there isn't much saved by fiddling with recovery software for days, especially when you might irrevocably destroy the data you're trying to recover. I would strongly advise against experimenting.

The above is just my two cents, though...hope you got your problems solved eventually!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

URGENT WinXP Help

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search