Enhancing your own context menu in Windows XP
Thread poster: Maurice Devroye

Maurice Devroye
United States
Local time: 23:36
English to French
Sep 4, 2004

Hello,

This HowTo page explains how you can easily enhance the context (or right-click) menu of Windows XP on your own PC. If you are looking for an easy way to generate a printable (and editable) text file listing the contents of any directory (and sub-directories many layers deep) in the tree structure of your PC, this is the page to visit.
Under the hood of Windows XP

Have a nice weekend,
Maurice Devroye

Cette page explique comment mettre en place une fonction qui vous permettra de lister les contenus des dossiers les plus touffus (en arborescence) envoyés par vos chers clients. Avec Windows XP, ce n’est pas compliqué, enfin pas trop.

[Edited at 2004-09-04 18:06]

Direct link Reply with quote

Nazim Aziz Gokdemir  Identity Verified
English to Turkish
+ ...
Another method for listing and printing directories Sep 4, 2004

Thanks; both of these are very helpful. Regarding the second task, the site you linked from your how-to page has some user comments on registry problems encountered after running the batch file. Another poster there offers this alternative, which is a lot less complicated (it can list/print the contents of only one directory level at a time, however):

Use Netscape for quicker & simpler listing
2003-09-25 10:59:02 anonymous [Reply | View]

Open Netscape (not Internet Explorer as Netscape doesn't try to automatically invoke associated programs) and enter "file:///C:" in the URL locator. You get your basic directory info, the ability to navigate your directories AND the ability to print the list of file as they exist at that moment (not when you last ran the batch file).

Note: Mozilla Firefox works as well.

Maurice Devroye
United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
The context menu is just the tip of the iceberg Sep 5, 2004

Sure, Nazim, there are other ways to create a similar listing. I am sharing this with colleagues because it works from Windows XP. No need to install a special software package.

When a client sends a zipped folder with lots of directories, sub-directories and files, this little function becomes handy. I use it to list and double-check ALL the files I am suppose to translate. And to make sure my OUT (or returned) folder matches my IN (or received) folder. No problems to report so far.

As for the registry, I would not dare touch it! It's good to know that there are kackers (the good kind of guys!) and software developers out there who keep the creativity
alive on the web.

Thanks for your comments. MD

[Edited at 2004-09-06 16:04]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Enhancing your own context menu in Windows XP

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search