Thread poster: Claire Montazeaud

Claire Montazeaud  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:27
English to French
+ ...
Aug 9, 2013

Hello,

I have been working with Windows 8 since the beginning of the year. When I try to move or rename a file or folder with Word files, I often get the message - cannot be renamed because the document is open in Word. It sometimes happen with files that I last opened several months ago.
It becomes very annoying when I need to 'tidy up' my computer.
Do you think that it is related to the fact that I now have Windows 8 or is it sometimes about my version of Microsoft Office 2007?

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Unlocker Aug 9, 2013

I get that error message very often, running Word 2010 and Win7. The only workaround I've found is to use Unlocker, which kills (or "unlocks") files that are still running somewhere in the background.
Works every time.

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:27
Member (2008)
French to English
Word Aug 9, 2013

It's a Word problem, I think. I get it with Word 2007 in XP and Win7 - I don't think it has anything to do with the OS.

xxxnrichy
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Do you open files directly in Thunderbird? Aug 9, 2013

I found that in some cases, after opening and closing a Word file directly in Thunderbird (which is a bad habit of course), there was something which remained running in the background and which cannot be detected or cancelled (even not with Ctrl+Alt+Del). The only way is to restart the computer.
I use Vista and Win 8, the problem did not occur with Word 2003 but it does frequently with Word 2010.

Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
All the time Aug 9, 2013

I get this all the time (Win 7, word 2007). The only remedy I've found is to close everything and reboot, which is very annoying. I remember reading once on a Microsoft help page that it was something to do with a macro, but that's far too technical for me to sort out.

@ Emma: thanks for the tip about Unlocker. I just tried to download it, but my antivirus (ESET NOD32) got very upset, so it looks like I'll be staying with rebooting for a while yet.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2007 does not close files with Windows 8

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search