chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:58
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Aug 28, 2013

Hello experts,

I have Windows XP and MS Word 2003 on one of my computers. For the past few days, I am experiencing a peculiar problem. As you may be well aware, there is a Language Bar at the Task Bar. We can change the language by clicking on it and selecting the required language. But when I click on it, I am not always shown the languages from where I can choose which was being done earlier on the same computer. So, I have to use Shift+Alt to change the language. Not only this, in MS Word, when I press File or View or other buttons on top, I am not always properly presented drop down menu from where I can make the proper choices. For example, the drop down menu in File button should present Save, Save as and Print etc. but I am sometimes shown a dim box (which is visible with great effort) in place of a proper drop down menu wherein the menu items can't be read. I restart the computer. Sometimes, it resolves the problem but sometimes it does not. Sometimes, MS Word works fine for a few minutes or even hours, but the same problem recurs after it. I get the same box when I right click on the text in a MS Word so as to copy or cut it. It is perhaps called "grey box"

I have also run the anti-virus. I have tried to use System Restore many times so as to get rid of this problem but in vain and there is a message that my system could not be restored to an earlier date.

It seems a problem related to Windows. How should I fix it?

Thanks and regards,

PC

Direct link Reply with quote

Dušan Ján Hlísta  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 22:28
English to Slovak
+ ...
solution? Aug 28, 2013

You have to make the backup of all the needed files. Then I recommend you to erase the whole disc and install everything what you need on the PC (i.e. Windows XP, MS Word 2003, Wordfast Classics etc). Or you can try to use TuneUp Utilities 2013. Whatever you choose it is for the first time that I heard of such problem.
Dušan Ján Hlísta alias ""Skopko".

[Edited at 2013-08-28 14:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-08-28 14:23 GMT]

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:28
French to English
Only in Word? Aug 28, 2013

Are the problems only present in Word? I would suggest deleting normal.dot to see if that helps. Google should have more advice on how to do that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help requested in respect of display problem with Windows XP

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search