difficulty saving to RTF
Thread poster: lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:49
Portuguese to English
Dec 9, 2004

Very occasionally - maybe 2-3 times - I have encountered Word files that will not save to RTF (preparatory to translating them in Trados). Word simply spends ages trying to save the file, and eventually I have to cancel the command in task manager. There appears to be nothing odd about these files - they're not read-only, nor do they contain heavy graphics or complex formatting. Has anyone else had this problem, and is there a solution?

Direct link Reply with quote

Mathew Robinson
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:49
English
Track Changes? Dec 10, 2004

Do these documents have 'Track Changes' turned on? This can sometimes intefere with conversion to RTF.

Spain
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
re Track Changes Dec 10, 2004

Yes, Track Changes was switched on, and I thought you had pointed me to the solution. Alas, when I turned off Track Changes and re-saved the doc., the same thing happened. There's something odd about the file - the other docs. where this has happened have all come from the same client (but so have many more that did not show this difficulty). I'm just puzzled. But thanks for trying to help.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
- Dec 10, 2004

Hi,
But I think that just switching off the track changes may be insuffisient, try accepting all changes first (and probably) resave under different name). At least, when I start translating with Metatexis, it always suggest accepting all changes in the document (in case they are, of course).

Spain
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
accepting Track Changes Dec 11, 2004

I tried your suggestion but that didn't work either. In the end, I had to deal with the file in the old-fashioned cut-and-paste way. I think this is just destined to be one of those mysteries that never get solved! Thanks for the suggestions, however.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do you have all fonts used in the document? Dec 11, 2004

Is the option "embed fonts" activated?
Are the styles conform with your document?

Check this issues please, they may force Word to save a lot of additional data.

Try to copy the whole text without the last paragraph mark to a new clean document and save this.

But be aware, that saving as RTF may seriously damage the structure of the document. Why do you need to save them as RTF, if you can process DOC files with Word with almost no limitation?

Regards
Jerzy

Spain
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it's the fonts Dec 12, 2004

I think you've hit the answer! The document font was HelveticaNeue Condensed, which I don't have on my computer. When I highlighted the text and saved it to new doc, in another font (Courier New - which is practically identical to HelveticaNeue Condensed)I could convert it to RTF easily.

'Embed fonts' was turned OFF. I don't understand what this function does? What is it for? Should it be turned ON?

The reason I wanted to convert to RTF is that it is easier and quicker to clean up Trados files if they are RTF. I know there is another routine for directly cleaning up Word files (without the RTF conversion), using TW4Win97.dot, but I'm not very familiar with this routine.

Many thanks for clarifying the mystery - I now have a way of getting round the problem in future.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Courier New cannot by identical with any Helvetica Dec 12, 2004

Courier New has serife, whilst any Helvetica does not have them. With "serife" means, the letters hast this small horizontal lines, which make them apper better "in line", as fonts without serife.
Pleaase compare Arial (which is btw very similar to a regular Helvetica) with Courier New or Times New Roman - you will see the difference very easilly.

The embeding fonts function in Word is for saving the font information with the document, just for the case someone opening the document does not have the proper font installed in his system. However I cannot tell, if this works as it is intended to work. Usually this function is not usedn, then Word substitutes fonts. This is what happened in your case.

Cleaning the document in Word is a very good possibility, as the document structure remains mainly unchanged. To do so, you have to press AL+F8 to get to the macros, then search for the macro "tw4winclean.main" and let it run. Be aware, that you have to upgrade your TM to the latest stand of the document by manually opening and closing all changed segments, as this macro does not save any changes in your TM.

Regards
Jerzy

Spain
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
re Helvetica Dec 12, 2004

I see what's happening. You're quite right - Helvetica is a sans serif font family. Word is automatically changing text in Helvetica to Courier New when it is displayed on my computer. It was just that the Word formatting bar displayed the name HelveticaNeue Condensed - presumably the font in which the client wrote the text?

Yes, I know about tw4winclean.main and have used it on a number of occasions. I agree this is another good solution.

Thanks for all your advice - I now have 2 ways of getting round similar problems.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

difficulty saving to RTF

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search