Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 9, 2005

Windows XP
Word 2000

I translated a text using Wordfast. It gradually began to reformat, changing colours, underlining where ther was no underlining, etc.

Now everytime I try to recreate the original format the text just jams for ages, or else does other totally irrational things like e.g. when I want to simply increase font size for one title line, it changes the colour or underlines or centres the rest of the document. It's driving me wild, but I can't send it b
... See more
Windows XP
Word 2000

I translated a text using Wordfast. It gradually began to reformat, changing colours, underlining where ther was no underlining, etc.

Now everytime I try to recreate the original format the text just jams for ages, or else does other totally irrational things like e.g. when I want to simply increase font size for one title line, it changes the colour or underlines or centres the rest of the document. It's driving me wild, but I can't send it back like that, as the original was fine. But it's late, and I'm totally fed up with it.....

help:-)
Collapse

Agua
Agua  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try opening it in Word XP.... Jan 9, 2005

Hello,

I do not know if this will work: I have Trados and sometimes it does those things... What I found out by chance was that it damaged the document in an undetectable way, in my Word 2000, but when I passed it to my husband's computer (with everything XP), it opened a dialogue and the programme repaired it and asked me to save it. From there on it was solved...

Maybe if you copy the text and paste it in a new document, or if you want me to try opening it with Word X
... See more
Hello,

I do not know if this will work: I have Trados and sometimes it does those things... What I found out by chance was that it damaged the document in an undetectable way, in my Word 2000, but when I passed it to my husband's computer (with everything XP), it opened a dialogue and the programme repaired it and asked me to save it. From there on it was solved...

Maybe if you copy the text and paste it in a new document, or if you want me to try opening it with Word XP, just let me know...

Best of luck,

Mar
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:26
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Check the styles in your document Jan 9, 2005

Possibly some of them are set to "auto adapt", which means, that any change you make at one place, will be applied to all tex, formatted with this particular style.
Or the styles in your document are badly defined and you will have to change them.
Other possibility - very likely in your case - is, that you have switched the "change/revision" mode in Word on. Then Word underlines texts and strokes text accordingly to changes you are making, to show the changes in your document. The un
... See more
Possibly some of them are set to "auto adapt", which means, that any change you make at one place, will be applied to all tex, formatted with this particular style.
Or the styles in your document are badly defined and you will have to change them.
Other possibility - very likely in your case - is, that you have switched the "change/revision" mode in Word on. Then Word underlines texts and strokes text accordingly to changes you are making, to show the changes in your document. The underlinings and strokes are quite colourfull...

HTH
Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

formatting gone wild

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »