How can I disable screen commands?
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:57
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jul 12, 2016

I'm used to keystrokes in Wordfast like ctrl+alt+down/right/left), but when I do it on my new laptop with Windows 10, the screen with desktop and windows turns upside down or into portrait view.
Is it possible to switch off these Windows commands so that they would only effect Wordfast application?

I realize now I should use Alt+shift+down etc., not Cntrl. But nonetheless I would like to disable these screen commands.

[Bearbeitet am 2016-07-12 05:38 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Terry Richards
France
Local time: 18:57
French to English
+ ...
Intel video driver Jul 12, 2016

At the bottom right of your screen, in the little icons, you should have one for "Intel HD Graphics" or something like that (I have French Windows). It may be in the hidden icons, accessed by the up arrow at the left of that toolbar.

If you find it, click on it. From the menu that appears, select Graphic Options / Quick access keys / Deactivate (once again, or something like that).


Direct link Reply with quote
 

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yep, it's a pig in a poke Jul 12, 2016

Windows 10, despite all my tech guy's reassurances to the contrary, does indeed suck big time. I use Wordfast classic and it worked perfectly with Excel files on my previous version, Windows 7, but now when I try to work with Excel files, it just sits there doing nothing, with my precious time ticking away. And for whatever reason, I can't get it to work with Google Chrome either - I keep getting a black screen and so far have found no way to fix it.

I don't care if it can't cook me a luxury breakfast in the morning, but if it can't do what the previous version could without a lot of faffing about, learning curves and banging my head off the desk in frustration, I'd say it's pretty much useless.

[Edited at 2016-07-12 08:56 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:57
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What a relief Jul 12, 2016

Terry Richards wrote:

At the bottom right of your screen, in the little icons, you should have one for "Intel HD Graphics" or something like that (I have French Windows). It may be in the hidden icons, accessed by the up arrow at the left of that toolbar.

If you find it, click on it. From the menu that appears, select Graphic Options / Quick access keys / Deactivate (once again, or something like that).


Thanks! The first time I unintentionally got my desktop upside down I almost panicked. You are completely helpless, because the mouse will act according to the new setting and you cannot even google for help.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:57
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mine works ok with WFC and Chrome Jul 12, 2016

neilmac wrote:

Windows 10, despite all my tech guy's reassurances to the contrary, does indeed suck big time. I use Wordfast classic and it worked perfectly with Excel files on my previous version, Windows 7, but now when I try to work with Excel files, it just sits there doing nothing, with my precious time ticking away. And for whatever reason, I can't get it to work with Google Chrome either - I keep getting a black screen and so far have found no way to fix it.

I don't care if it can't cook me a luxury breakfast in the morning, but if it can't do what the previous version could without a lot of faffing about, learning curves and banging my head off the desk in frustration, I'd say it's pretty much useless.

[Edited at 2016-07-12 08:56 GMT]


The only big issue with Win10 was that I had to get used to Word 2016. For Excel I usually use WFP, but yesterday I noticed, when trying to use WFP 4 for the first time, that I don't understand the interface at all and I quickly downloaded version 3, which is ok, except that Word spellchecker does not seem to work now.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:57
Member
Spanish to English
+ ...
Windows 10 Jul 12, 2016

Maybe we should start another specific "Windows 10 problems" thread, because it seems to have more bugs than the CIA and the KGB put together. The gaudy Start feature doesn't always come up, and sometimes the ruddy task bar disappears along with it - apparently this is something they're still working on. Might have been a good idea to work on it before they brought it out?

I had ignored the constant invitations to update to Windows 10 for ages, happy with Windows 7 on the simple premise that if it ain't broken, why fix it?, and then one day - I'm sure this is true, because I came back to the PC and found it doing it - it suddenly went ahead and set it up anyway, like Hal in 2001 A Space Odyssey. Sends a chill down the spine.


Mervyn


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member
German to English
+ ...
Seems a bit exaggerated Jul 12, 2016

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Maybe we should start another specific "Windows 10 problems" thread, because it seems to have more bugs than the CIA and the KGB put together. The gaudy Start feature doesn't always come up, and sometimes the ruddy task bar disappears along with it - apparently this is something they're still working on. Might have been a good idea to work on it before they brought it out?

I had ignored the constant invitations to update to Windows 10 for ages, happy with Windows 7 on the simple premise that if it ain't broken, why fix it?, and then one day - I'm sure this is true, because I came back to the PC and found it doing it - it suddenly went ahead and set it up anyway, like Hal in 2001 A Space Odyssey. Sends a chill down the spine.


Mervyn


or maybe I was extremely lucky but I have W10 since day 1 (previously had Windows 7) and up to now have experienced no problems. The only issues were with Outlook 16 but I somehow managed to cope with them. I don't know anything about Wordfast but MemoQ and Fluency work without any problems.

[Edited at 2016-07-12 10:54 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:57
Member
Spanish to English
+ ...
Maybe, Maija, but you wait ... Jul 12, 2016

... until one day you come home and find W10 has turned all the taps on and blocked the overflow orifices, and the house is flooded. Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean it won't get you.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member
German to English
+ ...
God forbid Jul 12, 2016

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

... until one day you come home and find W10 has turned all the taps on and blocked the overflow orifices, and the house is flooded. Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean it won't get you.

I hope that your premonition'll never materialize


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I disable screen commands?

Advanced search






WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search