Thread poster: Austra Muizniece

Austra Muizniece  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 01:44
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Oct 6, 2005

I've been having some problems with my laptop lately and was going to purchase a new one, today it has crashed completely. A blue screen appeared saying:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
Page fault in nonpaged area
The error code is 0X00000050 (0xc1080212, 0x00000000,0x805bb2ea,0x00000000)

It suggests I use safe mode for restart, but I can't get any further than the screen with different Windows startup options - it goes back to the blue screen.

I am using Windows XP.Before the crash the laptop was low on memory, some 3-4 gigs left.

Murphy law - I was working on a dvx file and it has to be handed in tomorrow morning...:(

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Austra

[Edited at 2005-10-06 18:57]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:44
German to English
+ ...
Panic-computer crash - Page fault in nonpaged area Oct 6, 2005

What is your main problem: is it that you have no back-up machine to work on? Or is it that you have no back-up of the work you have done so far?

Solution to problem 1: borrow another PC, or better still go out first thing tomorrow morning (no, second thing - your first task is to warn your customer of the imminent missed deadline) and buy a new one. I always have at least one usable reserve PC around, if not two. A five year-old PC will usually be adequate to get a job finished; it is just likely to be slower. So if you replace your hardware every three years, your last PC makes a good emergency back-up.

Solution to problem 2: go to www.knoppix.net (using your reserve PC, or someone else's), download Knoppix, and burn it to CD. Then start your laptop and put the Knoppix CD in the CD drive. With a little luck, you will be able to access your laptop's hard drive and retrieve the vital files, one way or another, e.g. by e-mailing them to yourself or copying them to a USB stick.

As for the Windows problem, someone else will have to help you with that - my office is a Windows-free zone.

Marc

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Austra Oct 6, 2005

What do you mean by "Before the crash the laptop was low on memory, some 3-4 gigs left"? Aren't you speaking about the space on your hard disk? Otherwise, how much RAM do you have if some 3-4 gigs is "low of memory"?

There may be lots of various reasons of such situation: defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (for example, hard disk failure). I myself had similar problems in various computers, and in one case it was caused by video memory, in the second - by defective RAM memory, in the third - by defective memory controller on the mainboard.

What I would recommend:

1) Go to http://www.memtest86.com/ to download a tool for checking the memory. The instructions on the site are quite detailed so you should be able to do everything properly.

2) It could be also a problem of corrupted pagefile.sys file. If you are able to boot from a CDROM, and the disk C:\ is visible, then go to the root directory (i.e. C:\ ) and

1. Type copy c:\boot.ini pagefile.sys and press Enter.
2. Type del pagefile.sys and press Enter.
3. Try to reboot

Latvia
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Back-up machine is available Oct 6, 2005

...and I do regular back-ups, but I haven't done any since I installed Deja Vu and started working for a new client - the translation I was working on wasn't backed up:(. Will Knoppix work if Windows doesn't even start up?

MarcPrior wrote:

What is your main problem: is it that you have no back-up machine to work on? Or is it that you have no back-up of the work you have done so far?

Solution to problem 1: borrow another PC, or better still go out first thing tomorrow morning (no, second thing - your first task is to warn your customer of the imminent missed deadline) and buy a new one. I always have at least one usable reserve PC around, if not two. A five year-old PC will usually be adequate to get a job finished; it is just likely to be slower. So if you replace your hardware every three years, your last PC makes a good emergency back-up.

Solution to problem 2: go to www.knoppix.net (using your reserve PC, or someone else's), download Knoppix, and burn it to CD. Then start your laptop and put the Knoppix CD in the CD drive. With a little luck, you will be able to access your laptop's hard drive and retrieve the vital files, one way or another, e.g. by e-mailing them to yourself or copying them to a USB stick.

As for the Windows problem, someone else will have to help you with that - my office is a Windows-free zone.

Marc

Latvia
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
guilty... Oct 6, 2005

Space on hard disk is what I was talking about, long day here:). The only thing my dear computer will let me do, is get to BIOS and run tests. Tests show "Pass" everywhere until now, memory is still being tested...Thanks for advice:)

Natalie wrote:

What do you mean by "Before the crash the laptop was low on memory, some 3-4 gigs left"? Aren't you speaking about the space on your hard disk? Otherwise, how much RAM do you have if some 3-4 gigs is "low of memory"?

There may be lots of various reasons of such situation: defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (for example, hard disk failure). I myself had similar problems in various computers, and in one case it was caused by video memory, in the second - by defective RAM memory, in the third - by defective memory controller on the mainboard.

What I would recommend:

1) Go to http://www.memtest86.com/ to download a tool for checking the memory. The instructions on the site are quite detailed so you should be able to do everything properly.

2) It could be also a problem of corrupted pagefile.sys file. If you are able to boot from a CDROM, and the disk C:\ is visible, then go to the root directory (i.e. C:\ ) and

1. Type copy c:\boot.ini pagefile.sys and press Enter.
2. Type del pagefile.sys and press Enter.
3. Try to reboot

German Services
Local time: 17:44
English to German
+ ...
Repair Oct 6, 2005

Trying a Linux live CD like Knoppix is sound advice if you want to access the hard drive; if you know your way around in other window managers, use DSL (Damn Small Linux), it's only 50 MB and saves you some bandwidth.

A more conservative approach: start your system with your Windows CD in the tray and opt for the "repair" feature, it works often, and you might be able to restore your system. Good luck.

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Panic-computer crash - Page fault in nonpaged area Oct 7, 2005

austra muizniece wrote:

Will Knoppix work if Windows doesn't even start up?

Yes. Knoppix is a version of Linux that runs from the CD. In other words, it requires no installation: just insert the CD, start your computer, and after about two minutes, hey presto! - you have Linux running on your laptop. You have no CD drive, of course, because the Knoppix CD is using it, and some of your other peripherals like the sooper-dooper digital camera you bought last week might not work, but the odds are in your favour that you'll be able to access the data on the hard drive and retrieve them somehow.

Marc

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Panic-computer crash - Page fault in nonpaged area

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search