Outlook can't use Word as editor
Thread poster: Can Altinbay

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:15
Japanese to English
+ ...
Oct 24, 2005

If I set Word as my e-mail editor, every time I open a new e-mail message or respond to an existing one, Outlook gives me the message: "This form requires Word as your e-mail editor, but Word is either busy or cannot be found. The form will be opened in the Outlook editor instead."
I installed OfficeXP (2002) on this new (July) computer from a CD - I'm licenced, and the original machine died - and I'm wondering if the "try Office 2003" that came with the computer somehow confuses Outlook (registry settings?).

Does anyone have a clue? I wasn't successful poking around MSDN.

Direct link Reply with quote

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:15
German to Spanish
Repair it! Oct 24, 2005

On the last menu in Outlook (with a ?).

Detect and repair (or something like this)

Saludos

Toledo

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:15
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Wordfast and Word as your e-mail editor Oct 24, 2005

Your profile mentions you're a Wordfast user. Some users have complained they can't use Wordfast together with Word as their e-mail editor. I'm using XP too and I just use the Outlook editor. Disabling segment and delimiter protection in Wordfast seems to be a solution, but maybe your problem isn't even related to Wordfast.

Regards,
Gerard

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the suggestions - and here is more information Oct 24, 2005

Repairing Outlook did not solve the problem.

I actually don't have Wordfast on my computer right now. I had it on another one, though I deleted it. It didn't affect Outlook as such, but the Wordfast stuff started showing up on my outgoing mail window.

I should also mention that I never touched the "try Office 2003" thing that came with my computer.

xxxtlmurray
English
I'd suggest not doing it. Oct 25, 2005

E-mails that go though the e-mail severs around the world have a tendency to break Word-created e-mails, or even those using Outlook's RTF. The recipient gets a .dat file that has to be decoded using special tools, if it's received at all.

The only totally reliable format is plain text. If something absolutely needs a certain look, use an attachment.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outlook can't use Word as editor

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search