Can't get a boot disc to work
Thread poster: Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Local time: 18:34
French to English
+ ...
Nov 5, 2005

I want to install Windows 98 alongside XP (I know you're supposed to install 98 first, but I've found a way around this problem already). But I can't get a Windows 98 boot disc to work. It starts reading the disc but then starts in XP.

As I understand it, it should take me into Dos. But then I actually see no sign of Dos on my computer. There's no MS Dos prompt in Windows, for example, and there's no "Exit to Dos" option when shutting down. Does that mean I need to install Dos in or
... See more
I want to install Windows 98 alongside XP (I know you're supposed to install 98 first, but I've found a way around this problem already). But I can't get a Windows 98 boot disc to work. It starts reading the disc but then starts in XP.

As I understand it, it should take me into Dos. But then I actually see no sign of Dos on my computer. There's no MS Dos prompt in Windows, for example, and there's no "Exit to Dos" option when shutting down. Does that mean I need to install Dos in order to run Windows 98?
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Timothy Nov 6, 2005

Yes, there is no DOS in Windows XP! What is called the "command prompt" is not really DOS ... it can be thought of as more of a simulation of DOS. Windows XP (and Windows 2000), unlike Windows 95, 98, and ME, are NOT built on an MSDOS foundation.

Are you trying to install W98 on the same drive/partition with XP? I'm afraid, it's impossible. See this MS article:

=========================================================
To Create a Multiple-Boot System with Windows
... See more
Yes, there is no DOS in Windows XP! What is called the "command prompt" is not really DOS ... it can be thought of as more of a simulation of DOS. Windows XP (and Windows 2000), unlike Windows 95, 98, and ME, are NOT built on an MSDOS foundation.

Are you trying to install W98 on the same drive/partition with XP? I'm afraid, it's impossible. See this MS article:

=========================================================
To Create a Multiple-Boot System with Windows XP and MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me
Note You can only install a single instance of Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me in a multiple-boot configuration. You cannot configure a computer to multiple-boot Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me ***because each of these platforms use the same boot file***. For example, you can use Windows 95, Windows 2000, and Windows XP, but you cannot use Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows XP.

You have to install Windows XP only after installing MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me to prevent these operating systems from overwriting the Windows XP boot sector and the Windows XP startup files.

To create a multiple-boot system with Windows XP and MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows Me:
1. Ensure that your hard disk is formatted with the correct file system.
2. Install the multiple operating systems into separate volumes, in the following order: MS-DOS; Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me; and then Windows XP.
3. Do one of the following:
• If you want a multiple-boot system with MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows Me along with Windows XP, install MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows Me, and then install Windows XP.
• If you want a dual-boot system with Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows Me, along with Windows XP, you should install either Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows Me, and then install Windows XP.
Install each operating system according to the standard installation procedure.
http://tinyurl.com/cx4f
========================================================

You could use some tool (like Partition Magic) to create a free partition (it should be first partition of your drive C), move WinXP and everything other to the 2nd partition, then install Win 98 on the 1st partition.

But may I ask you, what is the reason for using W98? Do you have any program(s) that do not run under WinXP?

[Edited at 2005-11-06 00:42]
Collapse

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I already have a partition Nov 6, 2005

I only want to install one version of 98, and I don't have 95, 2000 or XP. Basically none of my games work anymore (and they were quite expensive), so I want to install Windows 98 so they'll work. I know you're supposed to install 98 before XP, but I've already found a way around that problem. My only problem is finding a boot disc that will enable me to make the installation, as the current boot disc just sends me into Windows XP.

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
- Nov 6, 2005

Most probably it is not the problem of a boot disk but of your system setup.

-----------------------------------------------------------
To use your Win98 startup diskette:

1) Check in the BIOS if boot from diskette is active. Win XP does not boot from diskette normally, so this option is disabled in BIOS; as far as I understand from what you are saying, you are trying to use the Win98 startup diskette (or am I wrong?).

2) Is the partition intended fo
... See more

-----------------------------------------------------------
To use your Win98 startup diskette:

1) Check in the BIOS if boot from diskette is active. Win XP does not boot from diskette normally, so this option is disabled in BIOS; as far as I understand from what you are saying, you are trying to use the Win98 startup diskette (or am I wrong?).

2) Is the partition intended for Win98 primary or extended? It should be a)primary, b)first partition on your HD, and c)active partition.

------------------------------------------------------------
I assume you have a Win98 CDROM. So why using startup diskette? Then:

1) Check if the partition is a)primary, b)first partition on your HD, and c)active.

2) Check if boot from CD is active in BIOS.

3) Reboot and start the installation from the CD.

[Edited at 2005-11-06 10:14]
Collapse

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bios configured Nov 6, 2005

Natalie wrote:

2) Is the partition intended for Win98 primary or extended? It should be a)primary, b)first partition on your HD, and c)active partition.

I have already configured the Bios to read the CD drive first (I've installed the boot on a CD drive as my PC has no floppy drive). Indeed, it starts reading the disc, but then just starts XP.

I think I'm going to have to take my computer to someone who has better expertise in computing. Either that or resign myself to never playing my games again (Grand Prix 3 was so much fun!). Of course, I could install them again on my old PC, but I was hoping to play them on a computer that was actually fast enough to run them.

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Tim Nov 6, 2005

Check this site:

http://www.dosgames.com/xphints.php

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
- Nov 6, 2005

Timothy Barton wrote:
I have already configured the Bios to read the CD drive first (I've installed the boot on a CD drive as my PC has no floppy drive). Indeed, it starts reading the disc, but then just starts XP.

1) Are you watching the messages that appear on the screen during bootup? There should be a message like "To boot from CD press any key" or smth like this. If you don't press anything during boot up, the CD will not start.

2) As you say that XP starts, it means that the active partition is that with XP and not the one you prepared for Win98. As the partition for 98 is empty and there is no system on it, XP should not start. Check if the free partition is active.

[Edited at 2005-11-06 10:26]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It is not accidentaly, that you have to install Win98 first Nov 6, 2005

Even if you find ways to install any other operating system after XP is installed, the boot loader will allways take you to XP, as it is configured to do so. You cannot reconfigure it by installing other OSs after XP.
If you install 98 and then attempt to install XP, you will be asked, if you wish to keep the current OS - doing so configures the boot loader to start your system either with 98 or XP or any other OS.

I´m afraid I do not know the way to configure the boot loader
... See more
Even if you find ways to install any other operating system after XP is installed, the boot loader will allways take you to XP, as it is configured to do so. You cannot reconfigure it by installing other OSs after XP.
If you install 98 and then attempt to install XP, you will be asked, if you wish to keep the current OS - doing so configures the boot loader to start your system either with 98 or XP or any other OS.

I´m afraid I do not know the way to configure the boot loader after the installation of operating systems. Maybe you will be able to find a way somwhere - but possibly it will take you less time in reinstalling the whole once again.

Other possibility: buy a cheap HDD, install 98 on it and set this one as active one. If you then need XP, just set the other HDD with XP as active.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
? Nov 6, 2005

Natalie wrote:

Check this site:

http://www.dosgames.com/xphints.php

All the "tabs" referred to in the properties section don't exist! At least on my computer they don't. No "program" tab; no "memory" tab etc.

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:34
German to English
+ ...
Installing Windows 98 after Windows XP Nov 6, 2005

Did you not come across:

http://www.petri.co.il/install_windows_98_after_windows_xp.htm

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
OK Nov 6, 2005

Timothy Barton wrote:
All the "tabs" referred to in the properties section don't exist! At least on my computer they don't. No "program" tab; no "memory" tab etc.

Give it another try:

In Windows Explorer right-click on the exe file, choose properties > compatibility > check the box "Run in the mode compatible with" > choose Win98 from the drop-down list > click OK > try if the game would run

P.S. I have Polish Windows, so the option names may slightly differ (I am just translating what I see on my screen)

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, that doesn't work Nov 6, 2005

Natalie wrote:

Timothy Barton wrote:

Give it another try:

In Windows Explorer right-click on the exe file, choose properties > compatibility > check the box "Run in the mode compatible with" > choose Win98 from the drop-down list > click OK > try if the game would run

P.S. I have Polish Windows, so the option names may slightly differ (I am just translating what I see on my screen)

That was the first thing I tried several months ago. Doesn't seem to change anything though.

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, but I get the same problem Nov 6, 2005

Robert Tucker wrote:

Did you not come across:

http://www.petri.co.il/install_windows_98_after_windows_xp.htm[/quote]

Thanks for the link, but I still have the problem that I don't actually get the prompt it refers to. My Win 98 boot disc is ignores and it starts in Win XP.

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Active partition Nov 6, 2005

Timothy Barton wrote:
My Win 98 boot disc is ignored and it starts in Win XP.

Then I would like to repeat what I have already said above: it means that the active partition in your computer is that with WinXP, and you would never success in installing 98 unless you would change the active partition.

Prisma
Prisma
English to Swedish
+ ...
Dual boot configuration Nov 6, 2005

Timothy, just adding to what Natalie, Jerzy and Robert has already written.

What you are trying to achieve is not easy.

Your problem is almost certainly that win-98 can not be installed on the NTFS hard disc that XP is probably using.

(A simplified explanation: your win-98 boot disc is working fine, but the set-up configuration on the disc is finding no c: drive on your PC as win-98 does not recognise NTFS, it is looking for a FAT32 configuration which curr
... See more
Timothy, just adding to what Natalie, Jerzy and Robert has already written.

What you are trying to achieve is not easy.

Your problem is almost certainly that win-98 can not be installed on the NTFS hard disc that XP is probably using.

(A simplified explanation: your win-98 boot disc is working fine, but the set-up configuration on the disc is finding no c: drive on your PC as win-98 does not recognise NTFS, it is looking for a FAT32 configuration which currently does not exist on your PC AT ALL).

It sounds like you have quite a lot to learn before you would succeed in creating a dual boot configuration, for example your question regarding DOS (there is no DOS in the NT-based line of os's which include XP).

I suggest that you download an evaluation copy of VM-ware and use that to install win-98 in a virtual PC and test your games on that.
An alternative is also to search game sites for tips on running particular games under XP.

If you really want a dual boot without erasing your current set-up consider installing a second hard drive,like Jerzy suggested, formatted FAT32 to host win-98 (XP would still control the boot however).

Good luck!
Prisma
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't get a boot disc to work

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »