Spain
Local time: 03:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 26, 2005

Windows XP
Outlook

I was using Outlook 6 (2004)

Tonight I preesed the email button on my keyboard and suddenly it wasn't my old version of Outlook that came up but Outlook 2000, and I was asked to configure it. It was empty of emails, addresses, etc.

So I went to Start to call up my old Outlook...all the emails are still there...BUT NOT A SINGLE contact detail.

So I have lost all my email adresses...worse still, having had my emails completely wiped out in the past, I have been taking the precuation of saving these AND my addresses regularly, but due to an oversight, the latest save of addresses dates back to 9 months ago:-( Not only that, reintroducing names and email addresses is going to be a nightmare.

Why has this happened, what's gone gone, is it possible to out-think Windows for all the possible problems it can cause you??????

Christmas was going very well...even if I won nothing in El Gordo:-(

Direct link Reply with quote

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
maybe they are just not visible? Dec 26, 2005

Try this:
1. In your Outlook Express, open the "View" menu item.
2. Select "Layout..."
3. Make sure the little checkbox next to "Contacts" is selected.

If this does not solve the problem, I have no idea.

Csaba

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Try System restore Dec 26, 2005

Hi Lia,
if you have Windows XP, you could use "system restore" which allows you to return to a previous working state and is totally reversible. It is similar to the Windows 2000 feature "Last known good configuration".

I have solved many a problem in this way.

To learn more about this feature, see here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q306084#XSLTH3120121123120121120120

Best wishes!

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Where to find (maybe) the address book Dec 26, 2005

http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/files/wab.htm

On my computer I found my Outlook address book in the Outlook Express folder (as I have both). Just check it with Windows Explorer.

If not, I don't know on what file extension you'd have to do a search, try wab first?

Info Outlook in general
http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/

Anyway, before doing this I would do a system restore. I've had several issues with Outlook (and other software) and restore has always been a life-saver.

Good luck!

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
what risks are there with a restore? Dec 26, 2005

Csaba, thanks, I tried that, but they are really gone:-)

If I do a system restore, does it affect any work done between now and the restore point? EG, would I lose documents or emails?????

Thanks all:-)

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
No, Lia, you won't definitely Dec 26, 2005

Lia Fail wrote:

If I do a system restore, does it affect any work done between now and the restore point? EG, would I lose documents or emails?????

Thanks all:-)

You won't absolutely lose anything of your documents or e-mails, but you will lose settings you did in the meantime, new folders you created, freshly installed programs and so on, that's all!
In some situations, however, this seems to be the merest problem to be worried about

[Edited at 2005-12-26 21:57]

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked:-) Dec 29, 2005

Thanks Christel, I saved everything NB and did a system restore...and recuperated the addresses:-)

Thanks ALL:-)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outlook - all address disappeared

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search