Thread poster: Jo Macdonald

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:07
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Jan 31, 2006

How come some programs can turn into a neat lil’ icon near the clock and keep running in the background, while others insist on cluttering up your screen?

For ages I’ve been wondering why you can’t have a mail client program like Outlook Express as an icon minimized in the system tray so it’s always running but not actually cluttering up the desktop and taskbar.

Yesterday I finally found how to run a dictionary CD off the HD, so today I decided to do some serious tray minimizing too.

It looks like there are several progs that you can install to add a minimizing function to just about any window. This is the one I’m using at the mo, very nifty, simple to use, and free too: http://www.4t-niagara.com/tray.html

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:07
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Outlook Express can be minimized without this Jan 31, 2006

I'll take a look at this tool, it may well be useful for some things, but the Outlook Express icon can be dragged and dropped into the the taskbar (not the system tray) without any extra software (I just did this on my own computer). The icon will still be on the desktop but you can delete it from there and use the one in the toolbar. You're right though, it doesn't work for the system tray.

[Edited at 2006-01-31 14:45]

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quick launch and the system tray Jan 31, 2006

Hi Jack,
I may be wrong but I think you might be dragging an icon into the quick launch buttons bar next to the Start button. That way you have the icon to launch the program but when you close it it’ll shut down.
Minimising a program to the system tray (the icons next to the clock on the right) will hide the program on the desktop and take the button off the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, but won’t shut it down. In fact you should check which icons are in the system tray (some may be hidden) because too may progs running can slow your system down, especially if they’re loading on start-up.

I’m pretty sure Outlook has this minimize function already built in like Winamp, etc., other progs like Outlook Express, Firefox, Thunderbird etc. don’t though as far as I know. It can be handy for keeping your screen clean without closing programs you want always on the go such as e-mail progs, browsers, or whatever.

You can also use it to switch the order of the buttons on the taskbar, and I think it works on just about any prog. You can configure it to restore the minimised window if you click once or double click on the minimised icon in the system tray.

If they’re programs you use all the time it might be a good idea to set the icon display function in the Custom taskbar menu to Display always. Just right click on the taskbar and follow your nose to do that.

Robert Zawadzki  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Microsoft guidelines Jan 31, 2006

I think current trend is to remove as much as possible from a System Tray.

http://frogboy.joeuser.com/articlecomments.asp?c=1&AID=86257&s=1

See 11 etc

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Handy “Minimize to tray” application

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search