URGENT: Access Denied: Cannot access old files in Documents and Settings!
Thread poster: Ana Naglić
Ana Naglić
Ana Naglić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 22:42
Member (2005)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Feb 7, 2006

I have a really bad problem and cannot solve it - I re-installed Windows XP Home, and cannot access my old files in c:/documents and settings (you have "Owner1's Documents and Settings, Which I can access, All users, Administrator, and the old User's Documents and settings, which are very important) When I click on the icon, I get " Access denied". I checked through the File transfer Wizard, it displays the files, but when I try to move them, I get "Access denied" again!
I have some really
... See more
I have a really bad problem and cannot solve it - I re-installed Windows XP Home, and cannot access my old files in c:/documents and settings (you have "Owner1's Documents and Settings, Which I can access, All users, Administrator, and the old User's Documents and settings, which are very important) When I click on the icon, I get " Access denied". I checked through the File transfer Wizard, it displays the files, but when I try to move them, I get "Access denied" again!
I have some really important documents in that folder, can anyone help me?
Collapse

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
I don't have a solution for your problem, Feb 7, 2006

since I was never in your situation, but for the future: you should NEVER re-install Windows on an existing installation. ALWAYS backup your documents and settings, format the disk, install Windows and restore documents and settings.
This is the reason of your problem.

And: NEVER save documents on your system disk, mostly C. If you have one physical disk, create two logical partitions: C and D. Install the system (Windows) on C, save ALL documents on D. When you will have to
... See more
since I was never in your situation, but for the future: you should NEVER re-install Windows on an existing installation. ALWAYS backup your documents and settings, format the disk, install Windows and restore documents and settings.

And: NEVER save documents on your system disk, mostly C. If you have one physical disk, create two logical partitions: C and D. Install the system (Windows) on C, save ALL documents on D. When you will have to re-install Windows, you will not damage any documents.
Ca. 10 GB are mostly enough for system, Office suite and other applications.

I hope someone will help you with a working solution.

Regards

Andrzej
Collapse

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
See this discussion Feb 7, 2006

http://www.mcse.ms/archive71-2005-6-1699668.html

Ana Naglić
Ana Naglić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2005)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved. Feb 7, 2006

For the people who may consult this topic again: Enter Windows through Safe Mode. Sign in as administrator, right-click on the folder you have no access to (due to new installation), click on Properties, assign access through the Security tab.

I do not like partitions and I do not like formating unless absolutely neccessary. I experimented with partitions back in late 1990s, that caused me a lot of problems and lost files after formating and I never intend to experiment with that ag
... See more
For the people who may consult this topic again: Enter Windows through Safe Mode. Sign in as administrator, right-click on the folder you have no access to (due to new installation), click on Properties, assign access through the Security tab.

I do not like partitions and I do not like formating unless absolutely neccessary. I experimented with partitions back in late 1990s, that caused me a lot of problems and lost files after formating and I never intend to experiment with that again. If I have 2 disks (master/slave), fine, if I don't - I won't have partitions.
WindowsXP has many faults and this is just one of them (the largest one, IMHO, being lack of DOS (at least, the real DOS) access which gives you a lot advantage). I do not want to lose my space for 2 OS either. Linux? I don't know...
I have had no problems with saving the files on the c: disk since 1995. There is no problem with WinXP either, you just shouldn't keep them in My Documents, but move them from My Documents to some other folder e.g. c:/backup before the installation and move them back afterwards if you wish.
I solved my problems through formating when I first started using Win95, and lost many useful files. Now I prefer to try to save all I can before turning to formating. If the files are present on the disk, there must be a way to get them. They were too important to give them up.
Thank you all for your help.
Collapse

Gusztáv Jánvári
Gusztáv Jánvári  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
About reinstalling Windows and storing user data Feb 26, 2006

Andrzej Lejman wrote:
you should NEVER re-install Windows on an existing installation. ALWAYS backup your documents and settings, format the disk, install Windows and restore documents and settings.

And: NEVER save documents on your system disk, mostly C. If you have one physical disk, create two logical partitions: C and D. Install the system (Windows) on C, save ALL documents on D. When you will have to re-install Windows, you will not damage any documents.
Ca. 10 GB are mostly enough for system, Office suite and other applications.

I hope someone will help you with a working solution.

Regards

Andrzej

I'm sorry to disagree with Andrzej, but his suggestion contains a very general misinformation: Windows can be re-installed onto itself, however it is generally suggested as a last resort before deleting a corrupted Windows install and formatting the disk. First you should log in to Safe Mode and simply exit it. If Windows still fails to start, you should try to repair Windows by inserting the Windows CD and selecting Repair in the appropriate menu. This operation copies all required and missing files to Windows and may help you out. Many times the fatal problems are because some application (maybe a malicious one) has overwritten, deleted or incorrectly modified a critical file.

About where to save your files: You can save those to the system disk, however it's true, a much more recommended scenario is to save your files to a separate volume or disk. Whichever way you follow, you shouldn' forget about a very important thing: backup. Make regular backups of your files either to a separate disk (not only a different volume, since if a hard disk fails, all of its volume fails) or to a CD/DVD.

For example, I have my data on a separate partition of the same disk which stores the system, but a scheduled daily backup (using Windows' built-in Backup tool) copies all files that changed since the previous backup to a separate disk. This way even if my hard disk storing my data fails, I can restore my stuff and lose not more than the work of one day.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

URGENT: Access Denied: Cannot access old files in Documents and Settings!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »