Internet Explorer does not allow me to login to Proz.com
Thread poster: overseas

overseas
Local time: 20:10
English to Korean
+ ...
Nov 18, 2006

When I use my laptop to access Proz.com website with Internet Exploer 6.x, I cannot log in to Proz.com, meaning when I key in my user name and password, I get "cannot find server" message all the time. I am not sure if this is a problem caused by the operating system (it is Windows XP Pro) or IE itself. I am asking fellow translators/editors who are MS Windows/other products gurus to help me out here, please~~~~

Direct link Reply with quote

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Things I would try Nov 18, 2006

Did you try:

- disactivating your firewall for a moment (or look at its settings)?
- using another browser?
- using another computer on the same modem/network?

If you are on a LAN you could also check if your modem has a firewall and verify/test it as well.

Also, it seems strange to me that you can access the homepage (are you directly tiping in http://www.proz.com in IE address bar? can you reload by pressing the F5 key?) and you only get an error after trying to log in. If this is true it could be more a problem on the site's side, and - after trying all the above options and waiting a few hours for it to go away - you should probaly just contact the Proz's staff at http://www.proz.com/support

Luca

[Edited at 2006-11-18 22:00]

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:10
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Nov 18, 2006

1) Are you able to login to ProZ.com from any other computer?

2) Are you able to surf other websites from your laptop?

overseas
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes and yes Nov 18, 2006

Natalie wrote:

1) Are you able to login to ProZ.com from any other computer?

2) Are you able to surf other websites from your laptop?

Yes, I am able to login to Proz.com from any other computer. (I would not have been able to post a question in the forum had not been login to Proz.com.)

Yes, I am able to surf other websties from my laptop, except a very particular one "www.gotomypc.com." Same thing happens when I try to login to my webmail on my ISP's website. That is, I can access it's website (www.comcast.net), but once I key in my user name and password and click the sign in button, the message "cannot find the server" appears---only with my laptop, not my desktop, not any other laptops (I tried this on my friends' laptops).

overseas
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, good suggestion Nov 18, 2006

Luca Tutino wrote:

Did you try:

- disactivating your firewall for a moment (or look at its settings)?
- using another browser?
- using another computer on the same modem/network?

If you are on a LAN you could also check if your modem has a firewall and verify/test it as well.

Also, it seems strange to me that you can access the homepage (are you directly tiping in http://www.proz.com in IE address bar? can you reload by pressing the F5 key?) and you only get an error after trying to log in. If this is true it could be more a problem on the site's side, and - after trying all the above options and waiting a few hours for it to go away - you should probaly just contact the Proz's staff at http://www.proz.com/support

Luca

[Edited at 2006-11-18 22:00]

I think I'll try to use another browser. Thank you.

Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:10
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Are you sure this problem only affects Proz? Nov 19, 2006

A while ago, I found that although I could surf the web I could no longer access Proz, Ebay or Yahoo. I could log into other sites that require log-in but not these ones.

I still don't know what caused it but eventually managed to log in again after switching off and restarting my anti-virus software and re-setting firewall security settings.

If it's just Proz I would send a support request - they may be able to suggest a solution to your issue.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2006-11-19 04:35]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Internet Explorer does not allow me to login to Proz.com

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search