Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:20
Flemish to English
+ ...
Nov 30, 2006

Today Microsoft launced Windows Vista.
Office 2007 is due soon.
Word 2007 seems to be made with translation in mind. Especially the review tab with the Compare and Protect Document functions.
I guess that I will become one of those early adaptors of the Office-package, but wait a while to buy Vista. "Vista"=wait and see. Curious to find out who will change of OS and Office-suite in 2007?

Direct link Reply with quote

LuciaC
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:20
English to Italian
+ ...
I might be one of those Nov 30, 2006

I was planning to upgrade my office - new PC, two screens, new Office suite, new SDLX (I am still working with Trados 5, Excel 97 etc. without any problems, actually) and finally DNS.

I confess I am really put off by the idea of Vista coming out right now as it will understandably be full of bugs.

According to this article that appeared in the Observer last Sunday, authentication of the OS has been made so complex that it might be a problem in its own right. They think many more people will turn to Linux.

"Microsoft seals its Windows and opens the door to Linux"
(in order to read it you need to register on the Guardian website)

So, yes, I'll wait and see...

Lucia

PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:20
English to Polish
+ ...
Not keen, but Nov 30, 2006

I am not in a particular hurry to line Bill's silken pockets with my hard-earned cash.

I switched from Windows 3.11/ Word 6 to Win 95 and Office 97 (I was still working in the "old" system in 1996!) when I got one too many Word files that I was unable to open. Asking for conversions to Word 6 became a pain.

Presumably, the situation will be similar here. Once using Office 2003 becomes problematic, I will switch to Vista.

I don't know how long the operating system will hold out.

Cheers,
Pawel Skalinski

[Edited at 2006-11-30 13:07]

Ahmed Ismail  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
still using Office 2000 Dec 1, 2006

I am using Office 2000 since 2001 and it works perfectly until now.

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
No incompatible files? Dec 1, 2006

I am courious. Did the incompatible Office files that convinced me to upgrade eventually stop to be a problem?

Ahmed Ismail wrote:

I am using Office 2000 since 2001 and it works perfectly until now.

Gabriela Kirsche
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Note the difference between the OS and Office versions Dec 2, 2006

PAS wrote:

Once using Office 2003 becomes problematic, I will switch to Vista.

Hey Pawel,

Please note that Windows Vista is an OS, which is unnecessary if running MS Office versions is on stake. MS Office 2007 runs well on Windows 2000 (with SP4) or XP (SP2).
If "using Office 2003 becomes problematic," then this link is for you:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=941B3470-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466&displaylang=en

Nevertheless, I use OpenOffice whenever I can, saving the necessary things in MS Office formats. Never have I encountered any formatting or other task that I could not otherwise solve in OpenOffice, at most with a couple of extra clicks, but, sometimes with few. I can even save PDFs, which Microsoft advertises as a revolutionary MS Office 2007 novelty...
If your CAT tool (e.g. Trados) requires an MS Office instance, then, of course, you will need MS Office, but even so, wait with shifting to Office 2007 until Trados announce their new version which is capable of cooperating with Office 2007. Since Office 2007 will not only differ from its predecessors in native file format, but also in macro language, user interface and -- I guess -- API calls, present CAT software might simply be unable to communicate with it.
Keep your existing Office version for as long as you can, and don't make those bastards get any richer then they are with their standardized crap. And if you have questions, feel free to ask me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows Vista and Office 2007

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search