Mysterious appearance of desk-top icon
Thread poster: Jenny Forbes

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:01
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Apr 24, 2007

An icon often appears of its own accord on my desk top. It has the Windows logo and a tilde underneath it. If I try to open it the system tells me I can't. If I delete it, no harm seems to occur.
Can anyone explain what it's for, why it appears, etc?
Files also sometimes save themselves in my "Temp" file, usually unopenable or containing nothing. Again, nothing dreadful happens if I delete them.
I'm just curious - this isn't an urgent matter.
Thanks in advance,
Jenny.

Direct link Reply with quote

James Murphy  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 21:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Temp files Apr 24, 2007

Hi Jenny,

these would be temporary files, and depending on how the particular program was designed they may be automatically deleted when the application is closed, or may be deleted manually by the user to free up space. There's never really any harm done in deleting temp files, normally denoted by the file extension .tmp

The specific file that appears on your desktop, to know exactly where that came from, i.e. what program would require a more detailed analysis of your computer, but as it doesn't seem to be a nuisance, let sleeping dogs (or files) lie.

If you notice however a decrease in performance when that dile appears, it would be caused by a virus or something.

Making sure you have an up-to-date virus definition files and regularly running a scan should keep your machine free from thsis type of threat.

Hope that helps!

James

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mysterious appearance of desk-top icon

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search