https://www.proz.com/forum/windows_operating_systems/79594-double_size_taskbar_how_to_get_back_a_simple_one.html

Double size taskbar - how to get back a simple one
Thread poster: Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:02
Dutch to French
+ ...
Jul 25, 2007

Me again

I don't know what I've done but I now find myself with a double taskbar. The only other option I can get is to wipe it off the screen completely, which I don't want ofcourse, it takes too much place on the screen.

Does anyone have a hint how to get back a single row taskbar ?

Tks in advance
Elisabeth

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Elisabeth Jul 25, 2007

This is quite simple: just move the mouse cursor over the upper border of the taskbar until the cursor changes into a double-head arrow. And then drag the taskbar border down, exactly as you drag the columns in Excel or Word to make them wider or narrower.

HTH,
Natalia

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I thought double was preferred... Jul 26, 2007

Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen wrote:
I don't know what I've done but I now find myself with a double taskbar. The only other option I can get is to wipe it off the screen completely, which I don't want ofcourse, it takes too much place on the screen.

Double is actually nice -- you'll get used to it.

But seriously. Right-click the taskbar and ensure that "lock taskbar" is not enabled. Then hover your mouse over the edge of the taskbar until you get a double-arrow cursor (the "resize" cursor). Then click and drag downwards slowly.

If you want to keep using the double taskbar, what you might want to do is to drag the quickstart buttons to one side (otherwise they take up an entire row). You can do that by grabbing the divider with your mouse.

Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
France
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ahum ... Jul 26, 2007

Hi Natalia, Samuel

Samuel Murray wrote:
Right-click the taskbar and ensure that "lock taskbar" is not enabled. Then hover your mouse over the edge of the taskbar until you get a double-arrow cursor (the "resize" cursor). Then click and drag downwards slowly.

If you want to keep using the double taskbar, what you might want to do is to drag the quickstart buttons to one side (otherwise they take up an entire row). You can do that by grabbing the divider with your mouse.

I think that could be interesting with just a PC, but I am on Mac with Parallels and Windows, so half of the taskbar is already elsewhere. I never have a full taskbar on the PC side.

just move the mouse cursor over the upper border of the taskbar until the cursor changes into a double-head arrow. And then drag the taskbar border down, exactly as you drag the columns in Excel or Word to make them wider or narrower.

This was the way I knew it should be done. However I tried a hundred times to do this yesterday, but it just would't work. Either the bar was double, or it was outside the screen...

This morning, after the machine had a good night's rest, it did work, so I have my simple bar again

Thanks for your help
Elisabeth

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Also Linux Jul 26, 2007

I think that could be interesting with just a PC, but I am on Mac...

My advice is valid for several windowing systems on Linux too -- not just MS Windows. I wonder why Mac is different in this case? Or is Mac just always different?

Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
France
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
very simple Jul 26, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:

I think that could be interesting with just a PC, but I am on Mac...

My advice is valid for several windowing systems on Linux too -- not just MS Windows. I wonder why Mac is different in this case? Or is Mac just always different?

I'm not on a Mac pure. The machine is a Mac, but with Parallels I have both OS's running at the same time, and I jump from Windows to Mac.

The number of open windows is cut in 2, part on Mac (the Internet/mail/music part) and part on Windows (the translation part), which means the task bars are never crowded...

If you work on a PC only, you have all the open files and folders in the same taskbar, and with the quicklaunch bar on the left and the clock etc. on the right, the bar can get crowded very fast. This situation is where the double bar can be interesting...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Double size taskbar - how to get back a simple one

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »