MS-XML? How to do in Wordfast?
Thread poster: Alice Klingener
Alice Klingener
Alice Klingener  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:20
Swedish to English
+ ...
Apr 2, 2008

I've just been sent my first XML file to translate with Wordfast. I suspect that it ultimately came from InDesign, since this was an alternative to a TTX. However the XML info at the top is very Microsoftey:

Szilas Cseh
Szilas Cseh
Serbia
Local time: 21:20
English to Hungarian
+ ...
use Plus Tools Apr 2, 2008

You have to prepare the XML file for translation and Plus Tools (and you) can do it. It can be downloaded from Wordfast's website after that consult the manual.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:20
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Because ProZ.com staff insists... Apr 2, 2008

...on not disabling HTML in forum posts, half of Alice's post didn't make it. But there are ways to get it. Here is Alice's full post:

I've just been sent my first XML file to translate with Wordfast. I suspect that it ultimately came from InDesign, since this was an alternative to a TTX. However the XML info at the top is very Microsoftey:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?glt;
<?mso-application progid="Word.Document"?glt;
<w:wordDocument xmlns:w="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/word/2003/wordml" xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:w10="urn:schemas-microsoft-com: office:word" xmlns:sl="http://schemas.microsoft.com/schemaLibrary/2003/core"

etc.

and then it gets all binary looking. No sign of a DTD.

So I'm wondering if this is really an XML document at all. I did download +Tools and read the manual and the articles at the Wordfast website, but my first attempt with Extract gives me an alphabetical list, which is not quite what is wanted.

Word of course understands the document, but I'm not sure what sort of code I would create if I just translated right in Wordfast + Microsoft Word as usual.

Any advice appreciated.

... and even if you encode the XML, ProZ.com's forums still turn some of it into smileys and all you can do to prevent it is to add spaces into the XML code.

[Edited at 2008-04-02 08:25]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS-XML? How to do in Wordfast?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »