https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/101635-wordfast_for_mac_leopard_and_word_2004_for_mac.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Wordfast for Mac (Leopard) and Word 2004 for Mac
Thread poster: Céline Graciet
Céline Graciet
Céline Graciet
Local time: 17:20
English to French
Apr 7, 2008

Hi all, I'm migrating to Mac and after some extensive research, I thought I had come to the conclusion that it was possible to use my Trados TMs on my new system via Wordfast and Word 2004 for Mac. I downloaded the demo version of Wordfast to check that everything was ok and lo and behold, ok it is not. Wordfast won't recognise my Trados TMs, whether I try and open them as they are or after exporting them as .tmx files. I get messages varying from "The file is written in a different unicode form... See more
Hi all, I'm migrating to Mac and after some extensive research, I thought I had come to the conclusion that it was possible to use my Trados TMs on my new system via Wordfast and Word 2004 for Mac. I downloaded the demo version of Wordfast to check that everything was ok and lo and behold, ok it is not. Wordfast won't recognise my Trados TMs, whether I try and open them as they are or after exporting them as .tmx files. I get messages varying from "The file is written in a different unicode format" to "this is not a wordfast file" etc.

Is this because it is the demo version of Wordfast, would the full one work?

Your help is much appreciated in advance.

Céline Graciet
www.nakedtranslations.com
Collapse

Stéphanie Argentin
Stéphanie Argentin  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:20
Member (2008)
Italian to French
+ ...
Exporter la TM dans le format TXT Apr 7, 2008

Bonjour Céline,

Pour utiliser ta TM faite sur Trados dans Wordfast, tu dois d'abord l'exporter dans le format .txt. Dans le workbench de Trados, tu sélectionnes "export" dans le menu fichier (bien évidemment, la TM voulue doit être déjà active dans ce programme) puis tu choisis où l'enregistrer. Le format d'exportation est txt.
Et voilà, c'est aussi simple que cela!

Tu pourras ensuite l'utiliser dans Wordfast, cependant, avec la version d'essai, la dimens
... See more
Bonjour Céline,

Pour utiliser ta TM faite sur Trados dans Wordfast, tu dois d'abord l'exporter dans le format .txt. Dans le workbench de Trados, tu sélectionnes "export" dans le menu fichier (bien évidemment, la TM voulue doit être déjà active dans ce programme) puis tu choisis où l'enregistrer. Le format d'exportation est txt.
Et voilà, c'est aussi simple que cela!

Tu pourras ensuite l'utiliser dans Wordfast, cependant, avec la version d'essai, la dimension de la TM est limitée (voir les caractéristiques sur le site officiel).

Ciao!

Stéphanie
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:20
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Demo may refuse to open large files Apr 8, 2008

But your problem seems to be different. Native Trados translations memories won't open in WF or in any other application (and, of course, “this is not a Wordfast file”). As for TMX, try to open it with any text editor capable of reading different encodings and see, in which encoding the TM is saved. Then play with encodings, try to save to UTF-16(LE) at least. I can't advise on an editor speci... See more
But your problem seems to be different. Native Trados translations memories won't open in WF or in any other application (and, of course, “this is not a Wordfast file”). As for TMX, try to open it with any text editor capable of reading different encodings and see, in which encoding the TM is saved. Then play with encodings, try to save to UTF-16(LE) at least. I can't advise on an editor specific to Mac, but a good one is jEdit (www.jedit.org). It requires Java, but Mac is said to have it pre-installed with the operating system.Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Bootcamp is still around ... Apr 8, 2008

... and/or VMware or whatever. The latest I have seen is a screen with several windows, run by Leopard, Linux and XP. I have not tried it as I dont intend to fix what's not broken (a miniMac running XP -.

Céline Graciet
Céline Graciet
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Change of tack Apr 9, 2008

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help. After 3 days of pulling my hair out and not managing to make Word 2004 work with Wordfast (which just wouldn't open Trados TMs, whatever I tried), I've changed tack and have decided to run Parallels to work in a Windows (grrr) environment. After converting my Trados TMs with Olifant, Wordfast seems a lot happier and I might well be seeing the end of the tunnel. Thanks again.

Colette Kinsella
Colette Kinsella
Ireland
German to English
I still have the same problem. Apr 11, 2008

I've also recently switched to MAC and have experienced exactly the same problem with Wordfast - it won't open any TMs, even ones I have recently made in Word 2004 for Mac (Leopard).

I didn't quite understand your last couple of sentences: you've decided to run a virtual PC on your Mac (which I don't want to do, and fully understand your reluctance to take this approach) but then you said something about converting TMs with Oliphant, and Wordfast being happier with Word?

... See more
I've also recently switched to MAC and have experienced exactly the same problem with Wordfast - it won't open any TMs, even ones I have recently made in Word 2004 for Mac (Leopard).

I didn't quite understand your last couple of sentences: you've decided to run a virtual PC on your Mac (which I don't want to do, and fully understand your reluctance to take this approach) but then you said something about converting TMs with Oliphant, and Wordfast being happier with Word?

I'd be grateful if you could clarify this: have you fully abandoned Wordfast for Mac? Or have you found a solution to make it work?

Thanks for any help.
Collapse

Céline Graciet
Céline Graciet
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Spoke too fast! Apr 11, 2008

I think my connection dropped out as I posted my reply to Colette, so here it is again:

I was so tired and wound up when I managed to make Wordfast work with Word for Mac that I can't remember how I did it (although I know Olifant was involved). It wasn't entirely satisfying anyway, a lot of accented characters were corrupted. As I really want to work with Office 2004 for Mac rather than with Windows on Parallels, I will do my best to try and solve this problem next week and I'll ke
... See more
I think my connection dropped out as I posted my reply to Colette, so here it is again:

I was so tired and wound up when I managed to make Wordfast work with Word for Mac that I can't remember how I did it (although I know Olifant was involved). It wasn't entirely satisfying anyway, a lot of accented characters were corrupted. As I really want to work with Office 2004 for Mac rather than with Windows on Parallels, I will do my best to try and solve this problem next week and I'll keep this thread updated with any news, as it looks like I'm not the only one having this problem.

Céline Graciet
Collapse

Colette Kinsella
Colette Kinsella
Ireland
German to English
Changing a Leopard's spots... Apr 11, 2008

...thanks for your reply. And I'd be really glad to be kept up to date on any changes or news re. Wordfast/Leopard. I've just spent the guts of € 1000 on a new iBook and can't use it! Frustrating!!!!

Thanks!

Colette Kinsella
Colette Kinsella
Ireland
German to English
Any news on how you did it? Apr 15, 2008

Hi Celine,

I was just wondering if you remember how you solved the Mac/Wordfast problem. I'm just about to split my Mac hard drive (ouch) and install Windows, etc. (reluctantly). I'm hoping for a reprieve in the form of a solution for Wordfast!

Any news?

Thanks again

Céline Graciet
Céline Graciet
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
It's working Apr 15, 2008

Hi Colette, I've finally managed to make Wordfast play nicely with Word 2004 for Mac by using Olifant (http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/Olifant.html). I basically exported my .tmx files with Trados, then loaded them into Olifant and saved them as Wordfast TM files. Hopefully it'll work out for you too.

Céline
... See more
Hi Colette, I've finally managed to make Wordfast play nicely with Word 2004 for Mac by using Olifant (http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/Olifant.html). I basically exported my .tmx files with Trados, then loaded them into Olifant and saved them as Wordfast TM files. Hopefully it'll work out for you too.

Céline Graciet
Collapse

Giulia Onori
Giulia Onori
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Wordfast for MAC, are there any updates? Oct 8, 2009

Hello! Thank you all for the information that you have provided. Since it is from last year, however, I was wondering if there are any updates regarding the possibility for use of Wordfast on a Mac?
Since I passed over to Mac I am finding it challenging for work on translations, but don't want to give up!
You have all mentioned Trados... do you actually need that to convert the files to a format that Wordfast can work with? As far as I know, what is really required is Word for Mac
... See more
Hello! Thank you all for the information that you have provided. Since it is from last year, however, I was wondering if there are any updates regarding the possibility for use of Wordfast on a Mac?
Since I passed over to Mac I am finding it challenging for work on translations, but don't want to give up!
You have all mentioned Trados... do you actually need that to convert the files to a format that Wordfast can work with? As far as I know, what is really required is Word for Mac 2004.
Thanks a lot!
Collapse

Mick De Meyer
Mick De Meyer  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
word for mac 2004 Feb 17, 2010

Hi all,

I too have a Mac (MacBook Pro, 2009) and would like to use WordFast, but I have Office 2008 and apparently it's not compatible. Does anyone know where I can still find the 2004 version of Word? Or would the soon-to-be-released WordFast 6 solve this compatibility problem?

Thanks in advance!

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
VBA Feb 17, 2010

Mick De Meyer wrote:

Hi all,

I too have a Mac (MacBook Pro, 2009) and would like to use WordFast, but I have Office 2008 and apparently it's not compatible. Does anyone know where I can still find the 2004 version of Word? Or would the soon-to-be-released WordFast 6 solve this compatibility problem?

Thanks in advance!

From what I know, Wordfast 6 will still run (mainly) as a macro set in an MS Word environment, which means it will probably still need VBA to operate.

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Have you tried Wordfast Pro? Feb 17, 2010

Dear Mick,

Mick De Meyer wrote:

Unfortunately, you cannot install Wordfast Classic into MS Word 2008 because Word 2008 does not support Visual Basic which is required for Wordfast Classic.

However, you can use Wordfast Professional, the stand-alone application, which does not depend on MS Word. You can download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional available at:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Katrin Eckardt
Katrin Eckardt  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
What about open office? Feb 18, 2010

Dear all,

I'm actually considering to try out Wordfast Pro on my Macbook (Leopard) and wonder if anybody knows if it is compatible with Open Office (or Neo Office). As Open Office also is able to read all MS word files and to save up documents as .doc. Or do I need Word for Mac 2004 as has been suggested in some former posts?

Thanks a lot!

Katrin

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast for Mac (Leopard) and Word 2004 for Mac

Translation news related to Wordfast

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »