Thread poster: TDfreelance
TDfreelance
TDfreelance  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:51
German to English
+ ...
Apr 15, 2008

Hello all,
this is more of a beginner's (well with CAT in general and Wordfast in particular) questions.

When starting out with Wordfast how do you organize your TM files? I mean do you use one for each translation, one for each subject or??? I translate a variety of subjects, so what may be my best option?

Thanks for all your help
Torsten Dreier
TDfreelance

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:51
French to English
+ ...
Client-based Apr 15, 2008

Hi Torsten,

I tend to have one for each client - sometimes more than one if I translate for different end clients for the same agency. However, I also use a BTM, which I update periodically by merging all my TMs into one (using the filters in the TM editor), so that runs in the background as well just in case there's ever any crossover. It's unlikely, but it can be very useful for context searches. I think you're supposed to have TMs for separate languages, too, but I must admit I h
... See more
Hi Torsten,

I tend to have one for each client - sometimes more than one if I translate for different end clients for the same agency. However, I also use a BTM, which I update periodically by merging all my TMs into one (using the filters in the TM editor), so that runs in the background as well just in case there's ever any crossover. It's unlikely, but it can be very useful for context searches. I think you're supposed to have TMs for separate languages, too, but I must admit I have a client in Switzerland for whom I translate from both French and German and I just use the same TM - doesn't seem to have caused any problems so far....

Good luck!
Collapse

ilija5150
ilija5150
North Macedonia
Local time: 08:51
Macedonian to English
+ ...
Basically what Claire said Apr 15, 2008

However, it all depends on your needs really. One for each client or group of clients, topic or subject area or project. I also have a TM for each language direction, so one for Macedonian into English and one for English into Macedonia as that tends to have less clutter and is easier to manage.

I would never use a new single TM for a single translation each time as you are unlikely to get any benefit if at all with this method. Basically, the more you translate and more TU's you ha
... See more
However, it all depends on your needs really. One for each client or group of clients, topic or subject area or project. I also have a TM for each language direction, so one for Macedonian into English and one for English into Macedonia as that tends to have less clutter and is easier to manage.

I would never use a new single TM for a single translation each time as you are unlikely to get any benefit if at all with this method. Basically, the more you translate and more TU's you have in your TM the more it will help you out with future translations. If a client demands a TM only from the specific translation I would start of with my main (or merged) TM and then after having read over or proofreading the translation but before clean up, I would simply create a new TM and perform clean up on that one.

Cheers.

[Edited at 2008-04-15 16:38]
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Both Apr 15, 2008

I started out with client/project specific TMs, but now I use a BTM (background TM - a merge of my smaller TMs) and smaller project TMs. The reason I do this is to have everything available for context searches. The BTM almost never serves matches, it's just there so that I can check how I translated something in the past without having to remember what project it was from and search my computer for the right TM to look it up again ...

Sandro Ruggeri Dulcet
Sandro Ruggeri Dulcet  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
How do you configure a BTM memory? Apr 16, 2008

I am usually work with Wf TM´s, yet I don´t know at all how to con¡figure the a BTM...Could anyone explain it step by step?
Thanks

Sandro Ruggeri

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
It's pretty much the same as a TM Apr 16, 2008

You can use any wordfast TM as a secondary "BTM". I merge my smaller TMs (you can use Olifant, or the TM editor in WF for example) then save this new TM like any WF TM.

Then, click the "F" button, and on the first tab "translation memory" you will see a small tab labelled "BTM". In the BTM tab, just select the TM you want to use in the background, and sort it. Then go to the "TM rules" tab and you may wish to "penalize the BTM" so that even 100% matches will show up as yellow so
... See more
You can use any wordfast TM as a secondary "BTM". I merge my smaller TMs (you can use Olifant, or the TM editor in WF for example) then save this new TM like any WF TM.

Then, click the "F" button, and on the first tab "translation memory" you will see a small tab labelled "BTM". In the BTM tab, just select the TM you want to use in the background, and sort it. Then go to the "TM rules" tab and you may wish to "penalize the BTM" so that even 100% matches will show up as yellow so that you can verify them.

So, you will have two TM's at the same time, your main TM where new segments will be stored, and the BTM that you can use for context search, fuzzy matches, etc.

If you run a context search, the results will show hits from the main TM first, then hits from the BTM.
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:51
French to English
+ ...
Pandora's box command Apr 16, 2008

There's also a command in Pandora's box to change the order of the Translation memories - I think the default puts the BTM first, but I've changed mine to be TM,BTM,VTM so the present TM is displayed first, as Lori suggests.

Incidentally, just in case you haven't merged TMs before (and I didn't find this at all evident before it was explained to me on a course - thanks John!), you need to click on tools, then special filters in the TM editor (penultimate button on the WF toolbar). T
... See more
There's also a command in Pandora's box to change the order of the Translation memories - I think the default puts the BTM first, but I've changed mine to be TM,BTM,VTM so the present TM is displayed first, as Lori suggests.

Incidentally, just in case you haven't merged TMs before (and I didn't find this at all evident before it was explained to me on a course - thanks John!), you need to click on tools, then special filters in the TM editor (penultimate button on the WF toolbar). Then select "Merge this TM with another one". It will then bring up your TM folder; if you select any TM and click Open, it will display a message asking you to click Yes if you just want to merge the existing TM with the one you've selected or No to merge all the TMs in the folder - which is the easiest way to create a BTM. Note that the BTM isn't updated as you work, so you'll need to refresh it by remerging periodically. I try and do it once a month.

Good luck!
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Another fantastic top tip coming your way from Proz users Apr 16, 2008

I'd no idea it was possible to create and run a background TM - I shall go and set this up forthwith.

Thanks everyone!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast TM

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »