Wordfast in PPT and Excel
Thread poster: xxxwonita
xxxwonita
China
Local time: 23:29
Apr 16, 2008

So far Wordfast runs well in Word.

Now I want to try it with PPT and Excel (2007), but can't find Wordfast. Where is it hidden?

Thank you in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:29
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Only as template in Word Apr 17, 2008

Wordfast works only in Word. It seems to be possible to translate xls and ppt files straight in Wordfast, read the manual. But it is a more reasonable approach to use the Werecat macros for extracting the content to a word-file, translate and transfer the translation back to xls or ppt. But read the instructions!

http://www.volny.cz/ddaduc/werecat.html

Cheers
Heinrich

xxxwonita
China
TOPIC STARTER
In Manual2? Apr 17, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Wordfast works only in Word. It seems to be possible to translate xls and ppt files straight in Wordfast, read the manual. But it is a more reasonable approach to use the Werecat macros for extracting the content to a word-file, translate and transfer the translation back to xls or ppt. But read the instructions!

http://www.volny.cz/ddaduc/werecat.html

Cheers
Heinrich

I finished manual for beginner and haven't startet with advanced level yet.

José Miguel Braña Montaña  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:29
Member (2007)
French to Spanish
+ ...
Wordfast in Excel Apr 17, 2008

So far I have only used Wordfast with Word and Excel (not with PPT) and it works ok. If you want to translate an Excel document with Wordfast you must follow these steps:

* Open the document to be translated in Excel.
* Open an empty document in Word.
* Start using Wordfast in Word by pressing the Next button or Alt+Down Arrow (you will be using Word for the translation but the Excel document will be updated automatically).

I hope this will help. Best regards,

Miguel Braña

xxxwonita
China
TOPIC STARTER
Unbelievable! Apr 17, 2008

José Miguel Braña Montaña wrote:

So far I have only used Wordfast with Word and Excel (not with PPT) and it works ok. If you want to translate an Excel document with Wordfast you must follow these steps:

* Open the document to be translated in Excel.
* Open an empty document in Word.
* Start using Wordfast in Word by pressing the Next button or Alt+Down Arrow (you will be using Word for the translation but the Excel document will be updated automatically).

I hope this will help. Best regards,

Miguel Braña

It works!

I will try the same with PPT.

Thank you!

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
For PPT, try out Werecats Apr 17, 2008

Quite a nice companion to WF.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I recommend Werecat Apr 17, 2008

It is true that you can translate in Word excel-documents, but only in one go. Any later corrections will not be updated. The Werecat-approach is more reliable.
I always copy the column from xls to Word, translate in Word and copy back. Usually you do not want to replace the source with the translation, but leave the source intact and have the translation in an other column. No CAT-tool will do this in a straight fashion.

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:29
Italian to English
+ ...
Werecat for PPT Apr 17, 2008

I downloaded Werecat last week after it was recommended in another discussion in here, and it is the easiest, most user-friendly piece of software I've ever used. Just follow the instructions on the page where you download it and it does everything, perfectly. Or at least, it did for me!

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
werecat Apr 17, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

It is true that you can translate in Word excel-documents, but only in one go. Any later corrections will not be updated. The Werecat-approach is more reliable.
I always copy the column from xls to Word, translate in Word and copy back. Usually you do not want to replace the source with the translation, but leave the source intact and have the translation in an other column. No CAT-tool will do this in a straight fashion.

I didn't know werecat could also be used for excel, I have been using a different approach, converting the excel sheet to txt, then translating as usual in Word, then going back and translating the excel sheet in excel from the TM in one swoop. I think I'll try werecat now! So far I never tried it as I don't get powerpoint files.

sylvie malich
Germany
German to English
Excel and Wordfast Apr 17, 2008

I have a client who regularly sends me Excel files with two columns in German. They need the second column translated into English. I mark the seond column only, copy and paste it into a Word document, translate using Wordfast, edit and clean, then copy and paste it back into place.

Works like a charm.

sylvie
www.einmalich.net

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast in PPT and Excel

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search