Word 2007 crashes when attempting to tag a HTM file in Wordfast
Thread poster: Sarah Brenchley

Sarah Brenchley  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 28, 2008

Basically the title says it all. I'm trying to translate an HTM file in Word 2007 (on Windows Vista) using wordfast.
I open the file and the dialogue appears saying that the file needs to be tagged but it never manages to tag it (or whatever). Word crashes and needs to be restarted. Does anyone know why this happens and what the solution is. If I say CANCEL on the dialogue box, then Wordfast works but all the HTM codes appear. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Sarah.

Direct link Reply with quote

Adrien Esparron
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
+ Tools Apr 28, 2008

Hello Sarah,

Did You download and install Plus Tools ? Could be the reason why : launch + Tools first and then start the translation with Wordfast. Should be OK.

Hope its help.

Olivier

Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Open +tools and then what? Apr 28, 2008

Thanks Olivier.
The only problem is I don't have much experience with +tools as I've only ever used it to align documents to create a TM. What do I have to do once I've opened +Tools?
Here's hoping you or someone can help.
Sarah.

Adrien Esparron
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
About Plus Tools Apr 29, 2008

Sarah Brenchley wrote:

What do I have to do once I've opened +Tools?

Hi ! Normally it's very simple : in the first Tab +Tools, select the file to be translated and save the setup. Open the +Tweak tab and verifiy that the tweak is !01 HTML tagger. Close the window. Open your document and start the translation : click OK to tag the document. If everything's OK, only what's to be translated will be editable.

When the translation is finished, just clean the doc as usual.

Best,

Olivier

Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No luck Apr 29, 2008

No, the problem is as soon as I click on OK to tag the document in Wordfast, it looks as though it's going through the document but it gets stuck with the number of changes made and then Word crashes and I can't do anything. The same happens if I run +Tools or if I don't.

Adrien Esparron
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
Sorry ! Apr 29, 2008

Sarah Brenchley wrote:

The same happens if I run +Tools or if I don't.

No more idea, unfortunately ...

Olivier

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
use Rainbow ... Apr 29, 2008

if you are in a rush ... as an alternative to prepare the file before translating in wordfast...

or

try opening plustools with a blank word document, without opening the actual document that you want to tag.

on the first tab, navigate to your file and check the box, then switch to the +tweak tab and "run on selected files" (make sure it's set to !01HTML tagger)

if all goes well, you will find a new .doc file that is properly tagged in the same folder as your original html file.

this is the way I always proceed ... I have never tried opening up my html file in word before tagging it (although I understand that it can work that way)

Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No rush - but would like to know how I can do it Apr 29, 2008

Thanks Lori but that didn't work either. I'm in no rush as it's a long-term ongoing project but I would like to know how it's done and how to prepare the documents beforehand.

jeffrey engberg  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Fix tweak crash in Word 2007 html Oct 16, 2008

I found that if Word hangs when tweaking, I only needed to press Esc.
Some how this stops the hiccup and finishes the process!
Could it be any easier?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2007 crashes when attempting to tag a HTM file in Wordfast

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search