Thread poster: Yoanna

Yoanna  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:41
English to Polish
+ ...
Jun 19, 2008

Hi All,

I always received a .txt Trados TM from my Client and my WF converted it into a WF TM without a problem. Yet now I switched to a new computer (Windows Vista) and the Trados .txt TM won't load, giving me a message that "this is a Trados txt TM, and not a WF TM". Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Joanna

[Edited at 2008-06-19 17:47]

Direct link Reply with quote

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 05:41
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
file association Jun 19, 2008

go to "file extensions", search for "txt", check associations with the software, and remove Trados from the list (this file type should be associated with notepad.exe only).

United States
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
but... Jun 19, 2008

Thanks! But where do I find "file extensions" in WF?

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 05:41
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
system settings Jun 20, 2008

On your desktop: My_Computer -> Service -> Properties -> File_Types. It's not WF, it the association set in the system (Win).

United States
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still struggling Aug 26, 2009

Hi, I managed to work around this problem on a different computer but now I really need help. The advice did not help because Trados was not a program associated with .txt files [but the TM still "told me" that it cannot be open because it is a Trados text TM not a Wordfast one]. I do not have Trados at all.

Jamie Lucero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:41
French to English
Trados .txt supported in older versions Sep 7, 2009

You must have upgraded from an older version of Wordfast Classic because older versions used to support converting Trados .txt files to Wordfast TMs. However, this feature has not existed in Wordfast Classic since late 2006 I believe. You might try looking for version 5.50i in the Wordfast repository at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/files/Wordfast repository/ if you really want this functionality. However, it would be much easier to request TMX TMs from Trados users instead of Trados .txt TMs.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Switch to Vista and WF not converting Trados .txt TMs anymore

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search