Thread poster: Han Li
Han Li
Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:49
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jun 25, 2008

I just have noticed that WF LLC pronounced that WF 6 is coming soon in their web site; it's a stand alone version. The supported file format will include ASP, INX, JSP, MIF, PPT, XLS, XML.
Although the first CAT tool I used is Trados, I recently turn to use WF when I translate Word documents because of its small and exquisite features. I think it’s smarter than Trados. And the TM and MT are very small. But the size of a glossary in Wordfast is limited to 120,000 entries; I hope WF 6 can
... See more
I just have noticed that WF LLC pronounced that WF 6 is coming soon in their web site; it's a stand alone version. The supported file format will include ASP, INX, JSP, MIF, PPT, XLS, XML.
Although the first CAT tool I used is Trados, I recently turn to use WF when I translate Word documents because of its small and exquisite features. I think it’s smarter than Trados. And the TM and MT are very small. But the size of a glossary in Wordfast is limited to 120,000 entries; I hope WF 6 can make a breakthrough at this point.
Collapse

Mihail Mateev
Mihail Mateev
Bulgaria
Local time: 13:49
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
The volume of the glossary is bigger, acc. to the official site information Jun 25, 2008

According to the following link: http://www.wordfast.net/zip/wf_brief.pdf
the volume of the glosarry is up to 250,000 entries per glossary

BR,
Misho

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It depends on your personal feeling of “soon” Jun 26, 2008

Yves says, the first public beta will be available no sooner than in Q3 2008. And no comments on the date of the final release.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 06:49
Mixed feeling Jun 26, 2008

I am relunctant to update my programs, because it usually takes a long time before I can handle one with ease.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
So Wordfast will not work on MS Word? Jun 26, 2008

Han Li wrote:

I just have noticed that WF LLC pronounced that WF 6 is coming soon in their web site; it's a stand alone version.

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:49
English to Polish
+ ...
The reason why Jun 26, 2008

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Han Li wrote:

I just have noticed that WF LLC pronounced that WF 6 is coming soon in their web site; it's a stand alone version.

Microsoft is making it more difficult for power users, and third party tools to use its products. Reportedly Trados Workbench won't work with Word 2007. No wonder that Wordfast is is beginnig to move away from Word. I'm far from product/vendor bashing, it's the sad conclusion I came to.

Now it's clear to me why SDL began to encourage the use of TagEditor for translation of DOC files some time ago.

Regards,

Piotr

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It's not an update! Jun 27, 2008

Bin Tiede wrote:

I am relunctant to update my programs, because it usually takes a long time before I can handle one with ease.

It's worse, it's a totally new application written from scratch (it just can't be otherwise). And forget all benefits of integration into MS Word. And do download a JRE if you don't have one.

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Wordfast as we know it will continue working in Word Jun 27, 2008

esperantisto wrote:

It's worse, it's a totally new application written from scratch (it just can't be otherwise). And forget all benefits of integration into MS Word. And do download a JRE if you don't have one.

Who told you that? As far as I know, you'll not need to do anything like that if you don't want to. Wordfast as an addin to MS Word will stay and its development will continue just as before. The Wordfast package will be made of two parts: Wordfast for MS Word as we know it plus the new tool coded in Java.

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Who told? The site told! Jun 27, 2008

Standalone, platform independent translation environment

It's definitely not about a Word macro set! Unfortunately, the dead silence of Yves about WF 6.0 leaves too much room for speculations and wrong guesses.

Of course, if you are going to continue using WF 5.x and not going to use WF 6.0, you won't need to do anything special (but if you're a Mac user, you'll have to stay away from the latest MS Word for that platform, as you know).

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Questions Jun 27, 2008

It is true that we haven't been given much information on the announced release of Wf 6.0. Several questions come to mind:

1. Will the Word macro continue to be developed for new versions of MS Word?
2. Will Wf 6 comprise 2 modules: a stand-alone application and a Word macro or will the two be purchased separately?
3. Will the new stand-alone application be recommended also for Word documents as it happened with the latest versions of Trados?
4. Will the new versio
... See more
It is true that we haven't been given much information on the announced release of Wf 6.0. Several questions come to mind:

1. Will the Word macro continue to be developed for new versions of MS Word?
2. Will Wf 6 comprise 2 modules: a stand-alone application and a Word macro or will the two be purchased separately?
3. Will the new stand-alone application be recommended also for Word documents as it happened with the latest versions of Trados?
4. Will the new version include the features available until now in PlusTools or will PlusTools continue to exist separately?
5. Will the TMs continue to be in txt format or is this the big switch to tmx?
6. Will the new version continue the tradition of Wf being an "affordable application"?

Yves, David, would you care to shed some light on this?

Thank you!
Dan
Collapse

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
It's good to stand alone... Jun 29, 2008

I in fact quite like the stand alone idea. Filters (for HTML ect.) is anonther thing I wish WF can provide. So look forward to the new version.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Wordfast was an MS Word add-on Jun 29, 2008

http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=specifications&lang=engb
Integration: The Wordfast TM engine is totally integrated in Ms-Word: you don't need to run other applications.

Wordfast will happily run on any system that comfortably runs Microsoft Word 97 or higher. Wordfast is strictly an Ms-Word add-on, and uses no other resource
... See more
http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=specifications&lang=engb
Integration: The Wordfast TM engine is totally integrated in Ms-Word: you don't need to run other applications.

Wordfast will happily run on any system that comfortably runs Microsoft Word 97 or higher. Wordfast is strictly an Ms-Word add-on, and uses no other resources (no DLLs, no runtime, no EXE files).
Collapse

Daniel Rossbach
Daniel Rossbach  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Free Wordfast Upgrade from 5>6 for current users Sep 2, 2008

Today I received note from Wordfast customer support that a free upgrade to the Standalone Version will be availabel for ALL owners of a v5 license:

"Welcome to Wordfast Hotline,
Anybody who already owns a WF 5 license *by the time WF6 goes for sale*, will get a free WF6 license.
Thus I suggest to buy Wordfast now.
Best regards
Horváth (Frank) Ferenc"

That sounds encouraging and I am thinking about buying this TGB Wordfast for 185€ license no
... See more
Today I received note from Wordfast customer support that a free upgrade to the Standalone Version will be availabel for ALL owners of a v5 license:

"Welcome to Wordfast Hotline,
Anybody who already owns a WF 5 license *by the time WF6 goes for sale*, will get a free WF6 license.
Thus I suggest to buy Wordfast now.
Best regards
Horváth (Frank) Ferenc"

That sounds encouraging and I am thinking about buying this TGB Wordfast for 185€ license now, as I do not want to upgrade to the current trados version. Any opinions on what to buy now ?
Collapse

TSDM
TSDM
Russian Federation
Russian to English
Wordfast 6.0 demo download Oct 19, 2008

I just noticed that Wordfast has released a 6.0 public beta of the standalone Java version:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download_60.html

They are also offering presentations for PMs and such here:
http://www.wordfast.com/products_wordfast_60.html
("C
... See more
I just noticed that Wordfast has released a 6.0 public beta of the standalone Java version:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download_60.html

They are also offering presentations for PMs and such here:
http://www.wordfast.com/products_wordfast_60.html
("Corporate customers and translation agencies click here for more information or to schedule an online demo.")

I'd love to hear what anyone thinks of the new software. I had a quick look at it just now, and though I'm pretty impressed by the program in general and by the 'table view', I was disappointed by the way the software displays simple text documents. Hopefully the 6.0 VBA version will be at least as good as 5.5, and a better solution for working with such files.

[Edited at 2008-10-19 05:53]
Collapse

Jean-E. St-Laurent (X)
Jean-E. St-Laurent (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:49
English to French
To set things right... Oct 21, 2008

Just used the new WF6 this morning and since I noticed some confusion here, here are some facts:
1. It's a standalone. No more integration with MS Word and no link either.
2. It saves documents in .txml format or, with "save as", as a Word document.
3. TM are saved as .jtx files that cannot be treated as a text document.
So far, I'm unable to insert unbreakable spaces and french quotation marks.
The is no help at this moment.
The is no manual either, no refere
... See more
Just used the new WF6 this morning and since I noticed some confusion here, here are some facts:
1. It's a standalone. No more integration with MS Word and no link either.
2. It saves documents in .txml format or, with "save as", as a Word document.
3. TM are saved as .jtx files that cannot be treated as a text document.
So far, I'm unable to insert unbreakable spaces and french quotation marks.
The is no help at this moment.
The is no manual either, no reference.
For the time being, you are on your own with this new version.
I will get back when I have something new about this.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast 6 coming soon……

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »