Convert TMX file to Wordfast
Thread poster: AliG
AliG
Spain
Local time: 18:47
Spanish to English
May 10, 2003

I\'m new at Wordfast and want to import a TMX glossary but can\'t succeed! Can anyone walk me through what I should do on receiving file? Many thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 23:47
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
TMX in Wordfast May 11, 2003

You can import TM in .txt file, collecttion of glossary in Wordfast and Plus Tools.

Helpful explanations are given in their docoments (MS Word .doc wormat).

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
OpeningTMX files in Wordfast May 11, 2003

Push on the select TM button on the Wordfast/Files tab and select the TMX memory. Wordfast will create a TXT memory in the same directory as the TMX memory. There\'s nothing to it.

Regards,

Gerard

two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Glossary in .txt May 11, 2003

As far as I remember ( I haven´t used WF in a while), glossaries have to be in .txt format. Open the .tmx file you have, and save it as .txt. Then from Glossaries sort it and import it. What you indeed can use is a Translation memory in TMX

Good luck!

Pasted from the manual:

Note 1: If a TMX translation memory is opened, Wordfast will ask you whether you want to convert it into a Unicode Wordfast TM. The normal answer is no (press OK). Use a Unicode translation memory only if you need Unicode. Most alphabetical latin-based languages don\'t need Unicode.

Note 2: I recommend that TWB\'s TMW files be reorganised before they are read by Wordfast (Open the TM in exclusive mode with TWB, then click the File/Reorganise menu). I nevertheless recommend the TMX format for interchange with other TM software.

Note 3: When importing a Wordfast-generated TMX TM into a TWB TM, the usual reason for failure on the TWB side is that the language codes in the Wordfast TMX file do not fit the TMX language codes for the particular Trados version you use (there were changes between Trados 2, 3, and 5 in this respect). To know exactly which TMX language codes your version of Trados requires, generate a small TMX export from a TWB TM created with the intended language codes, open this TMX export with MsWord, then look at language codes. If language codes differ from the codes used in the Wordfast TMX export, they can easily be search-replaced in Word (for example, search for “SE-01”, replace with “SE-SV”, with quotes, using the “Match case” and “Whole word” options).

[addsig]

David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Welcome to Wordfast! May 11, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-10 19:45, AliG wrote:

I\'m new at Wordfast

Welcome to Wordfast!

It\'s easy: click the Select TM button and then select the TMX file. WF will create its own TXT memory (with all the TUs in it) automatically. As you translate, WF works with the TXT TM. After translation, you can export the TXT TM into TMX again.

For more info, download the manual at www.champollion.net.

You can also join a wonderful group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/

Deborah Shannon  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
It sounds like a TM not a glossary May 11, 2003

If so, all you do is open the setup panel, select the tab \"Translation Memory / Files\" and \"Select\" your tmx file in Wordfast. A glossary is something different from a Translation Memory.

HTH, Deborah

[ This Message was edited by: Academic on 2003-05-11 16:56]

balohan
English to Dutch
+ ...
Question Jan 29, 2008

After opening a TMX file from the European Commission I get the following type of translation units:

20080129~095840 bh 0 FR-FR &tA;21989A0315(01)&tB;
&tC;
&tD;REKENING HOUDEND met hun respectieve rechten en verplichtingen krachtens de Algemene Overeenkomst inzake Tarieven en Handel in verband met de behandeling van goederen en in het bijzonder alcoholhoudende dranken van oorsprong uit het grondgebied van de andere partij; FR-FR
&tA;CONSIDÉRANT leurs droits et obligations respectifs au titre de l'accord général sur les tarifs douaniers et le commerce en ce qui a trait au traitement à accorder aux produits, et notamment aux boissons alcooliques, originaires du territoire de l'autre partie, 21989A0315(01)

Anyone knows a manner to eliminate the unwanted codes:
&tA;21989A0315(01)&tB;
&tC;
&tD;

Many thanks in anticipation

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Convert TMX file to Wordfast

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search