TM does not update
Thread poster: xxxwonita

xxxwonita
China
Local time: 08:26
Aug 13, 2008

Hello,

I am proofreading my translation with Wordfast now. Inevitably I have to make changes now and then. To my great disappointment, after making the change and validating the segment, the TM does not update automatically. When I encounter a repetition later, my TM still shows the translation of the first version.

Must I alter the TM separately, or there is a trick I don't know yet?

Thanks
Bin

[Edited at 2008-08-13 19:16]

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:26
French to English
Do you have a red box? Aug 13, 2008

Did you try "reorganizing" the TM?

When you go back to repetitions after changing the original TU as you described, you should see a "red box" around the segment. Then you can choose the right TU using the ALT + right/left arrows (you will see a prompt in very small writing, at the very bottom of the screen).

If you don't have a red box, then it sounds like it could be a bug ... what version do you have?

[Edited at 2008-08-13 19:12]

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:26
Spanish to English
I don´t know what you mean by validating but... Aug 13, 2008

If I make a change in an earlier section of my translation and want the update to go directly into the translation memory, I select all and copy and paste the translation in a new word document, then clean the new document.

Afterwards I throw away the as it has served its purpose.

Of course you also have to have wordfast programmed to update your Tm.

Hope this is helpful

xxxwonita
China
Local time: 08:26
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 14, 2008

Lori Cirefice wrote:

Did you try "reorganizing" the TM?

When you go back to repetitions after changing the original TU as you described, you should see a "red box" around the segment. Then you can choose the right TU using the ALT + right/left arrows (you will see a prompt in very small writing, at the very bottom of the screen).

If you don't have a red box, then it sounds like it could be a bug ... what version do you have?

[Edited at 2008-08-13 19:12]

It works now.

Bin

[Edited at 2008-08-14 13:35]

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:26
French to English
@ Lesley Aug 14, 2008

Lesley Clarke wrote:

If I make a change in an earlier section of my translation and want the update to go directly into the translation memory, I select all and copy and paste the translation in a new word document, then clean the new document.

Afterwards I throw away the as it has served its purpose.

That's sounds complicated - in theory, if you open up the segment again, make your change and then hit Alt+down again (validate), the new TU goes into the TM and can be reused again immediately.

It works for me, 99.8% of the timeicon_smile.gif

Unless you mean you are making changes without opening up segments? In that case, your method makes sense.

I always re-open segments when I edit my work, so that everything goes into the TM and is saved in case of technical problems (crash during clean-up, etc). Once it saved my life when a file became corrupted during editing, and my backup copies were corrupted too! I didn't have to go back and re-edit things, although I did have to re-translate from the TM.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM does not update

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search