Sending TM as iix, mdf, mtf, mwf, tmw to Trados agency
Thread poster: Abigail Elvins

Abigail Elvins  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:31
Portuguese to English
Sep 10, 2008

Dear All,
Any help on this would be much appreciated.

I have done a short translation for an agency using wordfast (I used to use both WF and TRADOS but prefer WF so I uninstalled TRADOS) and they have asked me to send them the tm as 5 files with the following endings: iix, mdf, mtf, mwf, tmw.
Is it possible to do this with WF or do I have to ask the agency to do this with TRADOS?
Thank you very much for your time.
Abi

Direct link Reply with quote

Adrien Esparron
Local time: 23:31
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
The agency problem !!! Sep 10, 2008

Abigail Elvins wrote:

Not a translation matter ... You did your job and sended a ***.*** file ? So you did your job. The rest is the client "madness" ... do not care about it : you are a translator not a wizard ??? Or ?

Best Regards,

OM

Nicolas Coyer  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 17:31
Spanish to French
+ ...
TM Export Sep 10, 2008

Olivier MANESSE wrote:

Abigail Elvins wrote:

Not a translation matter ... You did your job and sended a ***.*** file ? So you did your job. The rest is the client "madness" ... do not care about it : you are a translator not a wizard ??? Or ?

Best Regards,

OM

They should be able to recreate the TRADOS TM by just importing the Wordfast text-based TM or even from your translated files, I reckon.

Abigail Elvins  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:31
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
That's what I was thinking... Sep 10, 2008

Thank you, Nicolas. I was hoping you'd say that!

Olivier - I know what you mean!! I just feel I have to try and be a bit of a wizard as well!!

Steve Erpelding  Identity Verified
Spain
French to German
+ ...
Win-Align Sep 11, 2008

Hello,

i do not totally agree with Olivier, if the client uses Trados and asked for a Trados-translation, then it's definetely the translator's task to send him the right type of documents. A Wordfast memory could be worthless for him, specially in your languages, as in PT they use "special caracters" as ñ etc, this messes up the memory in Trados, i had the this problem for german and spanish Wordfast & Déjàvu memories imported in Trados. At the end i recreated the memory in Win-Align.

good luck

Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 00:31
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Deliver a TMX Sep 11, 2008

In my opinion you should just deliver the translation memory in the TMX format, which Trados recognizes. If the agency has a need to split the TM into 5 different formats I think they should do that by themselves. And they can do it with the TMX format you deliver.

Stefan Stefanov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 00:31
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
What about TMW memories? Dec 3, 2008

Hi All,

I tried exporting my WF TM into TMX, but the agency said they couldn't open the file. I then realized that I can't open this TMX file even with my Trados 7 because it asks for a TMW format. I don't think I can export into TMW from WF, or can I?
Any ideas would be welcome!

Albert Beijering  Identity Verified
German to Dutch
+ ...
Trados cannot open TMX, import into a TMW file first Dec 9, 2008

Hello Stefan,

You are right, you cannot export TMW from Wordfast. You can send the TMX file to the agency. They should establish a 'fresh' and empty TMW file in Trados, and then import your TMX file into that. Trados can't open TMX files, only im- and export them.

Best regards,
Albert

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sending TM as iix, mdf, mtf, mwf, tmw to Trados agency

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search