https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/118187-importing_tmx_file_into_existing_memory.html

Importing TMX file into existing memory
Thread poster: Debora Villa
Debora Villa
Debora Villa
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:28
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 16, 2008

Hi there

I apologise in advance if this topic has already been covered, I am having a bad day and I can't find reference to it anywhere!

Can anyone spare a sec to explain me how to import a tmx memory into an EXISTING WF memory? Well, I can't even import the memory into WF, let alone into an existing memory.

I am so stuck!

Thanks in advance!

Simon Mountifield
Simon Mountifield  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:28
French to English
Olifant Oct 16, 2008

Hi,

Normally, Wordfast can open tmx files automatically, but I see you're talking about merging it with an existing memory.

I've just tried it myself using Olifant and it works. What you do is open your translation memory in Olifant, click on File > Import and select the tmx memory that you wish to merge. Check to see that the tmx memory has been added to your current memory. Afterwards, click on "File > Save as" and make sure that the format is "Wordfast TM". However,
... See more
Hi,

Normally, Wordfast can open tmx files automatically, but I see you're talking about merging it with an existing memory.

I've just tried it myself using Olifant and it works. What you do is open your translation memory in Olifant, click on File > Import and select the tmx memory that you wish to merge. Check to see that the tmx memory has been added to your current memory. Afterwards, click on "File > Save as" and make sure that the format is "Wordfast TM". However, make a copy of your memory in case something goes wrong (it shouldn't, but you never know). Once you've saved the memory, you should be able to open it in Wordfast (remember to click on the "Reorganise" button in Wordfast).

Good luck,

Simon

[Edited at 2008-10-16 14:31]
Collapse

Debora Villa
Debora Villa
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Simon Oct 16, 2008

Thanks SImon

Sadly I have no idea what olifant is

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Wordfast should recognise and convert tmx files Oct 16, 2008

Hi Debora,

As Simon says, Wordfast can normally recognise and convert tmx files. If you put the file in your glossary folder, then click on Open TM as usual, Wordfast should convert it to a txt file which you can then use. You can then merge it with whichever existing memory you wish by using the merge TM filter in the TM editor.

Good luck!

Claire

Debora Villa
Debora Villa
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 16, 2008

Hi Claire

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately I am very "dense" with these types of things. I have been sent a TM by a client via "you send it". This is a tmx file that, downloading from "you send it" I was not given the option to save it any txt format. The tmx file is now sitting on my desktop, if I open WF and try to access the file to select it as active TM I cannot see the file, whether I try it as TM or Glossary. I need to convert it into a txt file but
... See more
Hi Claire

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately I am very "dense" with these types of things. I have been sent a TM by a client via "you send it". This is a tmx file that, downloading from "you send it" I was not given the option to save it any txt format. The tmx file is now sitting on my desktop, if I open WF and try to access the file to select it as active TM I cannot see the file, whether I try it as TM or Glossary. I need to convert it into a txt file but somehow I can't do it because as soon as I open I get the Vista warning that the system does not support this format.

Sorry for boring you with this!
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Check all files Oct 16, 2008

When you try to find the file, make sure you've checked "all files" in the file format list, not just txt files. I think it's near the bottom of the list. Once you've done that you should be able to see all the files.

HTH!

Claire

Debora Villa
Debora Villa
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DONE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oct 16, 2008

Dear Claire and SImon

I have finally done it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know how to thank you both

Thank you thank you and thank you again!

Have a lovely evening

Debora

Simon Mountifield
Simon Mountifield  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:28
French to English
Great Oct 16, 2008

Hi Debora,

Glad to hear you've managed to sort out the problem. Claire gave a good solution too (thanks Claire - I've learnt something as well).

I should have explained that Olifant is a free translation memory editor. You can download it from http://okapi.sourceforge.net/Release/Olifant/Help/. It's been mentioned quite a few times in the forums and it's cert
... See more
Hi Debora,

Glad to hear you've managed to sort out the problem. Claire gave a good solution too (thanks Claire - I've learnt something as well).

I should have explained that Olifant is a free translation memory editor. You can download it from http://okapi.sourceforge.net/Release/Olifant/Help/. It's been mentioned quite a few times in the forums and it's certainly helped me lately.

Kind regards,

Simon
Collapse

Debora Villa
Debora Villa
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 16, 2008

Thanks Simon,

I actually followed your suggestion after finding the free download for olifant, what a useful little tool

Thanks again

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing TMX file into existing memory

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »