target segment doesn't retain source formatting
Thread poster: Lori Cirefice

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:12
French to English
Oct 23, 2008

Hello,

I am having to "paste format" from source to target on every segment
for this file, wondering if there is some fix or if I'm doing
something terribly wrong

The source file has a wide variety of formatting, different fonts,
colors, sizes and my target segments are all automatically turned into
Calibri 11, for some unknown reason.

This also happens even for 100% matches where I *know* the correct
formatting was used when it was committed to the TM. So I still have
to manipulate 100% matches.

I would like the target segments to have the source segment formatting.

Background: werecatted ppt file with Vista, Office 2007 and WF 5.52zz


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:12
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
WF TM doesn't retain formatting Oct 23, 2008

Lori Cirefice wrote:
This also happens even for 100% matches where I *know* the correct
formatting was used when it was committed to the TM. So I still have
to manipulate 100% matches.


Wordfast does not save formatting in the TM, unless I'm mistaken. It usually guesses the formatting of the segment based on the character formatting of the first character of the source text.

The source file has a wide variety of formatting, different fonts, colors, sizes and my target segments are all automatically turned into Calibri 11, for some unknown reason.


Which of your document's styles use Calibri 11 as its default font?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:12
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
normal Oct 23, 2008

Calibri 11 is the normal style (I guess default - I have never changed it, at least not deliberately...)

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:12
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some ideas Oct 24, 2008

Lori Cirefice wrote:
Calibri 11 is the normal style (I guess default - I have never changed it, at least not deliberately...)


The fact that you're working on a werecatted file makes me wonder if perhaps the first character of each segment is not perhaps in that normal style. Have you tried it with a test file, a new blank document in which format a sentence (using other fonts) and then translate that sentence?


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:12
French to English
I get this too Oct 24, 2008

And I don't use Werecat.

I have yet to spot a pattern (and speaking as a man who has previously worked in IT support, whenever anything odd happens twice with my computer, I am immediately on the lookout for common factors ). That, of course, does not mean that there is not a pattern..... just that I haven't seen it. There must be one, because computers rarely do stuff for absolutely no reason, but it may not be discernible to a normal human.

FWIW, I'm on Windows XP, running WF version 5.0zx, Word 2002 (yup, I never upgrade until absolutely necessary, if it ain't bust*, I don't fix it - see previous comment about my previous job!).

*I don't consider this issue to be = bust.

When it happens to me, it defaults to Times New Roman size 12.
My default in .dot is Arial size 10.

It has long mystified me, but it's just a minor annoyance to me.

However, if this helps you get to the bottom of it, or eliminate certain causes, then all to the good and feel free to ask me more questions

[Edited at 2008-10-24 08:05]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:12
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
replies Oct 24, 2008

Samuel - yes, on a test document that I created with various formatting, everything works fine - WF retains whatever formatting has been applied to the source as soon as I start typing in the target segment. This has always been the case for me, well - 99% of the time. Including 100% matches ... I see your point about the TM not retaining formatting, makes sense in fact, I wasn't thinking very clearly when I wrote that

I am new to werecat, and also wondered if that had something to do with it. Looking at the werecatted source segments, as far as I can tell, the first character is not the normal style (Calibri 11) but has the right format.

As Charlie says, it's more of a minor annoyance than a problem ... but I would still like to get to the bottom of it, and will report back if I do ...


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:12
German to English
+ ...
Did you try reorganising the TM? Oct 24, 2008

WF is sensitive to interruptions, such as opening another Word document while you are working on a text with WF active (opening and scrolling another document is usually OK, but if you click on anything in another Word document you're asking for trouble). I usually stop WF before opening another document, but sometimes I forget, and after this WF sometimes starts applying the default (Normal) style instead of copying the style of the source segment. The remedy to this is to reorganise the TM (select Service in the WF 'f' window and click Reorganise) -- this is also mentioned somewhere in the WF manual.

Other than that, I haven't experienced this sort of problem (yet) with a Werecatted file (With XP Pro, Word 2000, and WF 4.22).


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:12
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
reorganizing doesn't help Oct 25, 2008

but thanks for the suggestion Ken

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:12
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
update Nov 3, 2008

copying my posts from the WF tech group, in case this helps anyone out there ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, installed WF 5.52zz on the XP/Office 2000 computer and repeated
the whole thing.

Now target segment does NOT retain source formatting.

So this "bug" is definitely related to WF 5.52zz and wercatted
powerpoint files only.

Phew - upgrading to a more recent version of WF on the Vista computer,
hope that will do the trick.


--- In wordfast@yahoogroups.com, "Lori Cirefice" wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Found time to test the offending powerpoint file on another computer,
> with WinXP, Powerpoint2000, Word2000, WF5.50a and the latest version
> of Werecat.
>
> On that setup, target segments DO retain source segment formatting.
>
> Didn't have time to test on the Office2003 computer yet.
>
> So, what does that mean? The problem could be related to the version
> of Word, or even the WF version? Probably nothing to do with the
> Powerpoint or Werecat version.
>
> Maybe I'll upgrade to a more recent version of WF on the Vista
> computer and see if that helps.
>

> --- In wordfast@yahoogroups.com, "Lori Cirefice" wrote:
> >
> > I'm baaack ...
> >
> > With another werecatted ppt file, same symptoms, same setup, same
> > annoyance.
> >
> > I think it has something to do with the way things are being pasted
> > into word by werecat, somehow tricking wordfast into thinking that
> > everything is 'normal' style, although that's not the case.
> >
> > I am going to do some testing on the other computer with Word 2003, to
> > see if the symptoms persist and will report back.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Valérie Lapotre  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:12
English to French
+ ...
Is there a solution to this problem? Jan 22, 2009

Hi Lori,

I had made exactly the same (bad) experience as you have:

PPT file, converted with Werecat, I used the "auto-translate while 100% match" function in WF and it just destroyed the source formatting...
Thing is, I have 287 slides in this document.... so if you have found a solution, I would be grateful to know it, otherwise I think I am having a loooong sleepless night ahead of me...

Thanks a bunch!

Valérie


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:12
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Which version of WF Jan 22, 2009

Hi Valérie,

I narrowed the problem down to my version of WF, 5.52zz. I was able to rule out potential culprits such as Vista, Word 2007 & Word 2000.

The problem did not occur when I did a test on the same file, with WF 5.50a

I was meaning to upgrade to a more recent version of WF, but never got around to it, I'm still using 5.52zz on the Vista computer, because I'm happy with it for everything else and always reluctant to change something that ain't broke.

I haven't had anymore ppt files since my last post, so the upgrade just wasn't a priority. I would suggest you try to change your WF version and see if that helps.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

target segment doesn't retain source formatting

Advanced search


Translation news related to Wordfast





Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search