Thread poster: Thomas Johansson

Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 00:41
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Nov 5, 2008

I wanted to see if there are others who use Wordfast on Windows Vista and what your experiences of this combination are.

Here are two observations:

- Some Wordfast quick key combinations do not work by themselves on Windows Vista.
To get them to work, one has to meddle a little with Windows configurations and invent new key combinations to perform the quick key actions one needs. It is not very complicated, though.

- By and large, Wordfast has appeared to run slowly on Windows Vista. However, today I just discovered that if keep Word (i.e. the new version made for Windows Vista) on some tabs (e.g. the Review tab) Word/Wordfast will be running much slower than if I keep it on the Home tab. The difference is considerable. Always run on the Home tab.

Thomas

Sarah Ponting  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:41
Italian to English
+ ...
Wordfast on Vista with Word 2007 Nov 5, 2008

Thomas Johansson wrote:

Here are two observations:

- Some Wordfast quick key combinations do not work by themselves on Windows Vista.
To get them to work, one has to meddle a little with Windows configurations and invent new key combinations to perform the quick key actions one needs. It is not very complicated, though.

I made the transition to Vista and Office 2007 a few days ago and had to fiddle with the keyboard shortcuts too. Annoying, but easy enough to sort out.

- By and large, Wordfast has appeared to run slowly on Windows Vista. However, today I just discovered that if keep Word (i.e. the new version made for Windows Vista) on some tabs (e.g. the Review tab) Word/Wordfast will be running much slower than if I keep it on the Home tab. The difference is considerable. Always run on the Home tab.

I'll try that, because passing from segment to segment is very slow if I keep the tab with Wordfast open. Thanks for the tip.

Sarah

[Edited at 2008-11-05 10:11]

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
version & shortcuts Nov 5, 2008

Hello,

What version of WF do you have? I'm not having any speed issues with 5.52zz on Vista/Word2007, but I have another (minor) problem with werecatted powerpoint files, so I was going to upgrade to a more recent version, but if some versions are slower, I may not!

About shortcuts, I also had to reassign a few in the beginning, and was happy with that solution until last night when I did my first alignment project on the new computer ... none of the alignment shortcuts worked for me - I had to do the whole thing with the mouse! Thankfully I don't do alignment very often.

Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Wordfast version Nov 5, 2008

Lori Cirefice wrote:

Hello,

What version of WF do you have? I'm not having any speed issues with 5.52zz on Vista/Word2007, but I have another (minor) problem with werecatted powerpoint files, so I was going to upgrade to a more recent version, but if some versions are slower, I may not!

Hi Lori, I'm using an older version than you(5.15i), so I'll try upgrading and see if that improves speed. Thanks!

Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 00:41
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
5.53 Nov 5, 2008

My version of Wordfast is 5.53.

I may try 5.52 and see if it works faster for me.

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
A big help Nov 5, 2008

I just recently acquired Vista/Word 2007 and was flabbergasted at how slow Wordfast was. I had to take to working on my old computer with XP when I needed to use Wordfast.

I just updated to Wordfast 5.53 on the new PC and Wordfast seems to have become its old reliable self: fast as ever.

This forum has definitely helped me!

Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Great news! Nov 5, 2008

John Cutler wrote:

I just updated to Wordfast 5.53 on the new PC and Wordfast seems to have become its old reliable self: fast as ever.

This forum has definitely helped me!

Great news, I'll be trying that this evening. I'm in the middle of a job at the moment, so put it off, but Wordfast is painfully slow.

Update: just installed the latest version and it's as fast as it used to be on xpicon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2008-11-05 23:36]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WordFast on Windows Vista

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search