Thread poster: Thomas Johansson

Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 22:45
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Nov 5, 2008

I wanted to see if there are others who use Wordfast on Windows Vista and what your experiences of this combination are.

Here are two observations:

- Some Wordfast quick key combinations do not work by themselves on Windows Vista.
To get them to work, one has to meddle a little with Windows configurations and invent new key combinations to perform the quick key actions one needs. It is not very complicated, though.

- By and large, Wordfast has appeared to run slowly on Windows Vista. However, today I just discovered that if keep Word (i.e. the new version made for Windows Vista) on some tabs (e.g. the Review tab) Word/Wordfast will be running much slower than if I keep it on the Home tab. The difference is considerable. Always run on the Home tab.

Thomas

Sarah Ponting  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:45
Italian to English
+ ...
Wordfast on Vista with Word 2007 Nov 5, 2008

Thomas Johansson wrote:

Here are two observations:

- Some Wordfast quick key combinations do not work by themselves on Windows Vista.
To get them to work, one has to meddle a little with Windows configurations and invent new key combinations to perform the quick key actions one needs. It is not very complicated, though.

I made the transition to Vista and Office 2007 a few days ago and had to fiddle with the keyboard shortcuts too. Annoying, but easy enough to sort out.

- By and large, Wordfast has appeared to run slowly on Windows Vista. However, today I just discovered that if keep Word (i.e. the new version made for Windows Vista) on some tabs (e.g. the Review tab) Word/Wordfast will be running much slower than if I keep it on the Home tab. The difference is considerable. Always run on the Home tab.

I'll try that, because passing from segment to segment is very slow if I keep the tab with Wordfast open. Thanks for the tip.

Sarah

[Edited at 2008-11-05 10:11]

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
version & shortcuts Nov 5, 2008

Hello,

What version of WF do you have? I'm not having any speed issues with 5.52zz on Vista/Word2007, but I have another (minor) problem with werecatted powerpoint files, so I was going to upgrade to a more recent version, but if some versions are slower, I may not!

About shortcuts, I also had to reassign a few in the beginning, and was happy with that solution until last night when I did my first alignment project on the new computer ... none of the alignment shortcuts worked for me - I had to do the whole thing with the mouse! Thankfully I don't do alignment very often.

Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Wordfast version Nov 5, 2008

Lori Cirefice wrote:

Hello,

What version of WF do you have? I'm not having any speed issues with 5.52zz on Vista/Word2007, but I have another (minor) problem with werecatted powerpoint files, so I was going to upgrade to a more recent version, but if some versions are slower, I may not!

Hi Lori, I'm using an older version than you(5.15i), so I'll try upgrading and see if that improves speed. Thanks!

Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 22:45
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
5.53 Nov 5, 2008

My version of Wordfast is 5.53.

I may try 5.52 and see if it works faster for me.

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
A big help Nov 5, 2008

I just recently acquired Vista/Word 2007 and was flabbergasted at how slow Wordfast was. I had to take to working on my old computer with XP when I needed to use Wordfast.

I just updated to Wordfast 5.53 on the new PC and Wordfast seems to have become its old reliable self: fast as ever.

This forum has definitely helped me!

Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Great news! Nov 5, 2008

John Cutler wrote:

I just updated to Wordfast 5.53 on the new PC and Wordfast seems to have become its old reliable self: fast as ever.

This forum has definitely helped me!

Great news, I'll be trying that this evening. I'm in the middle of a job at the moment, so put it off, but Wordfast is painfully slow.

Update: just installed the latest version and it's as fast as it used to be on xpicon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2008-11-05 23:36]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WordFast on Windows Vista

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search