Thread poster: Anja Weggel
Anja Weggel
Anja Weggel  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:35
Member (2007)
English to German
Nov 7, 2008

Hello everyone,

I just discovered that Wordfast 6 is out. Since my Trados is a pain, I had hoped to finally have a nice standalone cat tool for Mac.

So I downloaded the file and tried to install it just to find out that Wordfast 6 needs the classic environment, i.e. it won't work on my Leopard. Can someone confirm that for me? Or am I simply to stupid to install a file?

Thanks for "de-confusing" me

Kind regards
Anja

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
No problem in Leopard Nov 8, 2008

Hi Anja

I have downloaded it, too, and installed it in Leopard without problems, even have tried a few small jobs in it.

Regards,

Edwal

Anja Weggel
Member (2007)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 8, 2008

Dear Edwal,

Thanks for your comment. I downloaded it again and now it works... No clue what happened the first time...

Thanks for your help!
Kind regards
Anja

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Pre release Nov 8, 2008

Anja Weggel wrote:

... No clue what happened the first time...

Kind regards
Anja

Maybe cause this "pre-release"? What means pre-release? It is now ßeta or still a Alpha version?

I will wait some days to see if someone has problems in a Mac or is running fine?

It is javascript? I don't want to wait hours and hours to load a big TM like it happen in other solutions based in javascript.

Regards

Fernando
www.lenguatik.com

[Edited at 2008-11-08 18:44]

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Plustool+ Nov 8, 2008

I was looking inside the Wordfast site and found this Plustool+ for Mac.

It is not the same question but I think it is good to put it here.

This Plustool+ for Mac, can I use it with Word 2008?

Thanks
Fernando

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Insert key Nov 11, 2008

I forgot to add that a problem I have with Wordfast 6 in Mac is "copy source", because it requires a combination of keys (alt+Insert) which does not exist in a Mac keyboard. I have to click on the icon, and it's bothersome to leave the keyboard, use the mouse and go back to the keyboard.

Besides that, the program looks OK.

TSDM
TSDM
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:35
Russian to English
Keyboard shortcuts need to be adapted for Mac OS X Nov 13, 2008

Yes, I completely agree. The keyboard shortcuts (including things as simple as the Return key should bes default rather than Enter) need to be address before this becomes a usable program for Mac users. At the moment using Wordfast via parallels is still much better, both for 5.5 (Classic) in Word and 6.0.

Here's hoping that WordFast will make the Mac version fully functional, and that Microsoft will hurry up with it's promise to bring VBA back to Word.

[Edited at 2008-11-13
... See more
Yes, I completely agree. The keyboard shortcuts (including things as simple as the Return key should bes default rather than Enter) need to be address before this becomes a usable program for Mac users. At the moment using Wordfast via parallels is still much better, both for 5.5 (Classic) in Word and 6.0.

Here's hoping that WordFast will make the Mac version fully functional, and that Microsoft will hurry up with it's promise to bring VBA back to Word.

[Edited at 2008-11-13 18:56]
Collapse

Anja Weggel
Member (2007)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Export to Trados Nov 15, 2008

Hello everyone,

Me again... I encountered another mystery...

I wanted to export the Wordfast TM to a txt to use it in Trados.

There is no "export" button but Wordfast creates a txt automatically. However, Trados does not recognize it. When I import it, Trados imports "0 entries".

Therefore, my question... is there an export function I simply did not find? Or is there a problem with the txt? Wordfast is only an option for me if I can export/imp
... See more
Hello everyone,

Me again... I encountered another mystery...

I wanted to export the Wordfast TM to a txt to use it in Trados.

There is no "export" button but Wordfast creates a txt automatically. However, Trados does not recognize it. When I import it, Trados imports "0 entries".

Therefore, my question... is there an export function I simply did not find? Or is there a problem with the txt? Wordfast is only an option for me if I can export/import with Trados without (regular) problems. Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot for your efforts
Kind regards
Anja
Collapse

Xiaoqin Su
Xiaoqin Su  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Chinese
Wordfast 6 also for Word for Mac 2008? Nov 22, 2008

Hi, everybody,

I could not install Wordfast 5.5. I wonder if it is because I use Word 2008. Does Wordfast 6 work with Word 2008 (Mac)? I never tried a CAT before, quite frustrating ... Could somebody help me? Thank you very much!

Su

Xiaoqin Su
Germany
German to Chinese
Which CAT for Word 2008 (Mac)? Nov 22, 2008

Hi again,
I just found out that Word 2008 (Mac) does NOT support Wordfast (http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=versions&lang=dede).

Which CAT can I use with Word 2008/Mac? What would you suggest?

Su

Mattias Huss
Mattias Huss  Identity Verified
Finnish to Swedish
+ ...
WF 6.0 is a stand alone program Nov 24, 2008

The new WordFast 6.0 isn't a macro for Word, so it works regardless of what version of Word you use.

Xiaoqin Su
Germany
German to Chinese
Wordfast 6.0 is not a macro for Word Dec 2, 2008

Thanks, Matthias, I got it!

monitor
monitor  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
New Wordfast 6.0 runs without Word !! Dec 21, 2008

Dear all,

I placed the following question with Wordfast last week (19 December 08):

I would like to know whether the new Wordfast 6.0 runs on a Mac Notebook with Leopard X and Word 2008 Mac. I.e. is the new 6.0 a standalone version, that no longer needs the VBA which has been removed in the Word 2008 Mac by Microsoft?

... See more
Dear all,

I placed the following question with Wordfast last week (19 December 08):

I would like to know whether the new Wordfast 6.0 runs on a Mac Notebook with Leopard X and Word 2008 Mac. I.e. is the new 6.0 a standalone version, that no longer needs the VBA which has been removed in the Word 2008 Mac by Microsoft?

And that was the answer given by Wordfast:

Thank you for your interest in Wordfast. Yes, Wordfast 6.0 will run on your Mac Notebook. It is a standalone, platform independent version, that is written in Java. It does not run inside of MS Word.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Sincerely,

1300 Eye Street, NW, Suite 900
Washington, DC 20005
P/ +1-202-682-7092
F/ +1-202-403-3512
M/ +1-202-758-4680
Skype/ kris.marrero
www.wordfast.com
Collapse

Cintia Allsup
Cintia Allsup  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:35
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Licensing Problem Dec 9, 2009

Hello everyone,

I have Mac running on Leopard and I've been trying the demo version of Wordfast pro. I have been enjoying it quite a bit...then I decided to purchase the license. When I was about to purchase, they asked for a product ID number that you find when you click on Help Menu > License Management. Unfortunately this is the same place/path to insert the license key (after you purchase it). I say unfortunately, because as I click on License management Wordfast crashes.
... See more
Hello everyone,

I have Mac running on Leopard and I've been trying the demo version of Wordfast pro. I have been enjoying it quite a bit...then I decided to purchase the license. When I was about to purchase, they asked for a product ID number that you find when you click on Help Menu > License Management. Unfortunately this is the same place/path to insert the license key (after you purchase it). I say unfortunately, because as I click on License management Wordfast crashes.

I have been in communication with them trying to solve the problem...but until now...nothing. They don't know what is happening and they told me I was the only case reported.

So please...you all that have a Mac on Leopard and that are trying the Wordfast Pro version, please go to Menu HELP and click on Lincense Management...and let me know if you see a window with your product ID number and a field to insert the key...or if it also crashes Wordfast.

Thank you
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Uninstall Dec 10, 2009

Cintia Allsup wrote:

I have Mac running on Leopard and I've been trying the demo version of Wordfast pro.

Dear Cintia,

Could you please make sure you download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional available at:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

Before installing the new version, make sure you completely remove the currently installed version. The folder called .wf_workspace (found under the main user folder) must be completely "trashed".

I hope this helps. Please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

[Edited at 2009-12-10 00:45 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast 6 for Leopard?

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »