Wordfast 6 cannot cleanup the file
Thread poster: Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 10:35
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Nov 20, 2008

I was awaiting for many days to read what being posted by someone else, but it is not seen yet.
I asked Wordfast support teams but not get replies yet.

I just downloaded the pre-release version of Wordfast 6 [standalone version: MS Word independent]. The translated bilingual file is saved in a *.txml format. I was much impressed with the quick process of file preparation (into *.txml format) before translation e.g. Excel files required about 1/6 of time required in SDLX or Trados.
However, by testing with a small job of about 500-word MS Word file, I met with the followings.
1. Failed to reopen the project file being edited and saved when I clicked the existing file name list.
2. Could not export TM into TMX format etc.
3. Error on translated file cleanup even only one segment was left untranslated. The output file was a garbage.
4. The PM button, the processing required after the translation, functioned on the first instance. On the successive instances, the button was shown but failed to function. That is, I could neither analyze files nor cleanup the translated file. This happened even I uninstalled and reinstalled the Wordfast 6 program. Wordfast help file gives explanation which is not useful.
5. I could not make a new TM out of the translated bilingual file when I deleted the TM of my translation.
6. Since I did translation of the file, I did not want to lose my labor. I copied the bilingual file into MS Word and manually deleted source segments to obtain the target text. I could not use Trados or Wordfast 5.5 cleanup function in MS Word.
7. In editing platform (a table format like SDLX, Across, DejaVue etc.), I could not do copy/paste into other programs (e.g. MS Word for special spellchecking or helpful quick editing functions). The editing cell window size cannot be enlarged or expanded (and some words under editing are hidden below the line; too hard to recheck etc.)
I understand that Wordfast has beta/pre-release forum on Yahoo! but I could not see anything about Wordfast 6. I hope my experience is helpful to both Wordfast 6 developers-- who are working hard toward improvement ---and new users.
Can anyone suggest how to prevent the non-functional PM button i No. 3?

Direct link Reply with quote

Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:35
Wordfast 6 cannot cleanup the file Nov 20, 2008

Hi Soonthon,

Thank you for your feedback. Some of your questions are known issues that we have recently posted on our website here - http://www.wordfast.com/support_issues.html . For the remaining issues, I will forward your feedback to our development team. We will be releasing a new build in the next few weeks that should address many of these issues.

Sincerely,

Kristyna Marrero
Director of Sales & Marketing
Wordfast LLC

VIBOL KEO  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Khmer (Central)
It should be a difference... Nov 21, 2008

Hi All,

Good to finding your topic on this forum. I am really interested in it since I would also like to get my translation enhanced as well.

I think you are about its special features regarding its full license as well. Being interested in, I have got it with a free download. With myself-learning I took time to aquainted with it as a beginner then also have faced such a problem. However, I think it is probably a difference between the free download and the full license package. I am not sure if this would share what you are being about and become a should-be.

I am also wondering whether you could kindly tell me some more reall differences between what I raised above, if any.

Thanks,

[Edited at 2008-11-21 04:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2008-11-21 04:28 GMT]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Full License Nov 25, 2008

Thank Vibol
The license I am using is a pre-release license for Wordfast 6.0; valid until December 31, 2008. If the problem is originated from the license, the Wordfast development staff should have told me in advance OR written on their help file. Fails to do so will take many users into enormous risks.
SL

EADB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:35
Russian to English
Unable to cleanup, running demo version Feb 9, 2009

I am running the demo version of the standalone Wordfast pro.

After following instructions from Wordfast documentation regarding cleanup, I receive the following error when I press the cleanup button:

"Cleanup settings are missing. Please configure cleanup function."

I can't find a cleanup function configuration page other than the one that runs alongside this process. In other words, I followed all the configuration steps as they were laid out in the help file, yet was unable to cleanup my projects.

Help?

Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 19:35
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Really sad Feb 11, 2009

In my humble opinion, translators got caught up between a "war of software providers"... Two big companies were running toward the finish line to see who could release their long-awaited new shiny product. Both failed to release a STABLE product...

I've just come to find out that after
1) Purchasing Wordfast Pro
2) Installing the license successfully
3) Working on a PowerPoint presentation

We CANNOT clean the file in order to send it back to the client!

In other words, all the work would be lost, had we not used another program to deal with the resulting txml file and re-translate the PPT on that other environment...

My question is: If you're releasing a program that doesn't really work, shouldn't it be the company's responsibility to let everybody know that it is in beta version, that is, a UNSTABLE piece of software?

All the answers I could get so far is that it's a "known issue" and they're "working on it".

Next time I buy a car and it doesn't run because it came without an engine, I guess I'll just sit and wait for the dealer to decide to come install the engine after they're done spending the money I paid for the car...

Yours truly very frustrated customer!

Clean-Up Function Clarification Feb 11, 2009

EADB wrote:

I am running the demo version of the standalone Wordfast pro.

After following instructions from Wordfast documentation regarding cleanup, I receive the following error when I press the cleanup button:

"Cleanup settings are missing. Please configure cleanup function."

I can't find a cleanup function configuration page other than the one that runs alongside this process. In other words, I followed all the configuration steps as they were laid out in the help file, yet was unable to cleanup my projects.

Help?

When using the clean-up function you must make sure of several things (to configure the clean up settings).

1) TXML Files are selected with Checkbox checked (for at least 1 file)
2) If Update TM is checked then you must select a valid remote or local TM above
3) If Enable log is checked then you must browse for a location and name for the file to be created.

After these three steps are fufilled you will be able to clean-up your TXML files.

Regards,
Hillary

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast 6 cannot cleanup the file

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search