https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/121292-btm_in_wordfast.html

BTM in WORDFAST
Thread poster: kag
kag
kag
English to Polish
Nov 21, 2008

Hi,
I've just started to use Wordfast and am currently trying to figure out how Background Translation Memory works. I don't quite understand the excerpt from the Mannual, which says:
"A background translation memory (BTM) is a read-only translation memory which Wordfast will scan for an exact (case-insensitive) match before scanning the current TM."
What does "exact" mean in this context? Will only 100% matches from the BTM be provided, irrespective of the fuzzy threshold in t
... See more
Hi,
I've just started to use Wordfast and am currently trying to figure out how Background Translation Memory works. I don't quite understand the excerpt from the Mannual, which says:
"A background translation memory (BTM) is a read-only translation memory which Wordfast will scan for an exact (case-insensitive) match before scanning the current TM."
What does "exact" mean in this context? Will only 100% matches from the BTM be provided, irrespective of the fuzzy threshold in the Setup?
Thank you for your help!
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:24
French to English
+ ...
Yes, only 100% from the BTM Nov 24, 2008

Yes, as far as I understand it, it will only propose 100% matches from the BTM, but the real value of the BTM is in context searching, because it won't only search your current TM for your search term, but the whole of your BTM, which can be composed of all your TMs merged together, however you choose to set it up. It would be far too confusing if the BTM included fuzzy matches as well, I think.

Ulf Samuelsson
Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:24
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Use the TM as VLTM if you need fuzzy matches as well Nov 25, 2008

If you need to have fuzzy matches from a second memory, you should set it up as a "local VLTM".

To do this, you need to have the file WfServer.exe and WfRelay.dll in the same directory as Winword.exe. In Wordfast, simply write your local TM path and file name (like "C:\Wordfast\Memories\ServerMemory\ServerMemory.txt") instead of the www.wordfast.net connection string, and use a 10-letter WorkgroupID,
... See more
If you need to have fuzzy matches from a second memory, you should set it up as a "local VLTM".

To do this, you need to have the file WfServer.exe and WfRelay.dll in the same directory as Winword.exe. In Wordfast, simply write your local TM path and file name (like "C:\Wordfast\Memories\ServerMemory\ServerMemory.txt") instead of the www.wordfast.net connection string, and use a 10-letter WorkgroupID, like 0123456789 or 1122334455 if you want to use the local VLTM in "write" mode.

However, this use of WfServer.exe is no longer documented and WfServer.exe is no longer distributed, while it is still supported in the current version of Wordfast.

Version 5.25d with WfServer.exe can be downloaded from the files section on the Wordfast mailing list.

Ulf
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:24
English to Hungarian
+ ...
??? Nov 25, 2008

What could possibly have been the rationale behind that?

Does anyone think it is nice or useful not to get fuzzy matches from a background memory at all by default?

kag
kag
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Would licence help? Nov 26, 2008

Thank you very much for your help!

I'd like to make clear one more issue: BTM will not prompt fuzzy matches regardless of whether you work with a demo version or with a licence?
I suppose the licence would not make any difference in this case, but I'd just like to know it for certain.

Ulf Samuelsson
Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:24
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
License or no license Nov 26, 2008

The BTM won't offer any fuzzy matches even in a licensed version of Wordfast.
On the other hand, WfServer.exe do not work without a license.
If you need to use more than one memory at the same time, you could download the beta version of Wordfast 6, which comes with a free license that is valid until the end of December.
(However, Wordfast 6 is an independent application and is not an add-on to MS Word.)

Ulf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

BTM in WORDFAST

Translation news related to Wordfast

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »